Minimalist Running Shoe Help!!

Options
Hey Folks. I was hoping some of you could give me some insight into the world of minimalist/barefoot running shoes. Although I run in Saucony Hurricanes at the moment, I have started to do some short runs completely barefoot. I find it more comfortable and I love being so close to the ground. I think switching my current shoes for some minimal ones would be in my best interest. After extensive research, I've narrowed it down to these options:
Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove or Merrell Pace Glove 2
New Balanace Minimus Zero Drop
Nike Free 3.0

Has anyone tried running in any of these shoes and had success? What would you recommend? The thing is that I don't have much money, and want these shoes to be a serious investment and to last! (Many reviews spoke of holes forming within a couple months, ect..)

Also for some extra details, I run both trails and road. Anywhere from 5-10k however I hope to start upping distance that as time passes. Any information would be helpful and appreciated! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My merell trail gloves were trashed in 8 months :(
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I own a pair of NB minbus. I'm not a minimalist type of runner. but you really feel the ground with these. I would suggest trying them on and running around in them for a few weeks to see if you like them. I need more support so I never use them. I ran in them 4 times.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Minimal or not, I'm a believer in having your gait analyzed.

I've been running in minimals for about 3 years. I also walk in minimals. I have a pair of new balance minimus for daily walking around. I put about 12,000 steps on them a day. That said, when I bought a second pair to run in, I ended up with the beginnings of an injury. I quickly returned to MY brand and the problem went away.

So, yes, love the minimals, but still think you need to know what works with your feet.

(I can't wear the merrils even to walk to work in)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of Vibrams: http://reddingsportsltd.com/Vibram-FiveFingers-Bikila-LS-Black-Green.html

I bought them last November. I *love* them. They're still in great shape. I had to switch from "normal" running shoes because I was literally running holes in my shoes in 3-4 months (I used to wear just normal thick-soled New Balance running shoes).

I started walking in my Vibrams first so I wouldn't get injured. I still start my runs off with walking, because I'm not in super shape yet. But, I've ran 3 miles in them straight and it feels great. I make sure that I am running on grass/dirt some of the way, because my feet start to take a beating if it's 100% concrete.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I tried both the merell and nike and did not like what they offered (1 week take home trial for both). I was initially looking for both indoor and outdoor minimalists, the outdoor being for paved, gravel and trail. The merrel trail did have a much better grip while still giving a good ground feel but still didn't feel right on uneven ground. I ended up settling on two different pairs of vibram fivefingers and am in love with them, though they took a while to get used to looking at.

Sadly that is just MY opinion. Something as important as footwear is going to completely depend on you and your feet. You are going to want to go into a store and try them on, jump, run, walk etc. I found that when switching slowly to minimalist shoes its even more important to make sure you buying the right thing for your foot to prevent injury and to make the price tag worth it.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the company that makes Vibrams just had a class-action lawsuit against them for foot injuries, just a heads up. The whole minimalist/barefoot running thing might not be a 100% good trend.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    if you buy them from road runner sports and it might even be for online sales, you have 90 days to try out the shoes and if you don't like them you can exchange them for something else.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the company that makes Vibrams just had a class-action lawsuit against them for foot injuries, just a heads up. The whole minimalist/barefoot running thing might not be a 100% good trend.
    They have a class action suit, yes. Is it for foot injuries or false advertisement?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    They have a class action suit, yes. Is it for foot injuries or false advertisement?

False advertisement.

I run in both the New Balance MR00 and the Merrell Road Glove. The MR00s provide more cushioning on the roads but the soles wear rather quickly (still got about 400 miles out of the last pair). The Merrells provide more feel but there is definitely more impact on the road.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out Inov8s? I love mine. I mostly do short runs in them but I know others that where them for longer runs, trails, etc.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Nike Free Run 5.0 till I die
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I like my vibrams too. Apparently thy are not a cure-all and if you are being stupid you can injure yourself running in them (now, tell me which shoe that doesn't apply to, and who would go through such a drastic change in running form without educating themselves properly - so much for that lawsuit bs, and if it is going to affect future availability of vff's, I will be oh so mad).

I haven't tried other minimalist shoes yet, so no opinion on those. What I like about the vibrams is that they last a log time without deteriorating, are washable and comfortable (for me).
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options

False advertisement.
    The claim was that Vibram was advertising benefits of barefoot running and, by association, implying wearing their shoes was exactly the same as barefoot running, thereby making those claims about their shoes. My stron guess is the people who filed the suit did not properly follow the included instructions on how to transition safely. We'll never know who'd have won in court because after two years they decided to settle. For less than $4million (which is a pittance on Vibram's profits).
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Altra Zero Drop.
    Tough, like a real shoe, but absolutely no heel.