I WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT, How DID YOU START? TIPS NEEDED

Options
HI ALL,

I was on Fitness pal last year, trying to motivate myself to gain weight and get support, Which I didn't keep up

I would like to find other like myself, I am slim 5'3 and weighing 8 stone and would like to weigh 8.5-9.5,
I am very active with dancing and drumming. I know I don't eat enough, finding it hard to get an diet plan and eat2000 cal a day, I think, I only eat 1-2 meals a day.

If you are trying to gain too

how do you start? what advice did you seek?

Are you active?

Do you find it hard.

I wanna hear your story and connect so please add me too.

Hear from you soon,
Slimmim x

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    very active.

Slowly ate more than I required to lose. Eventually to the point of gaining. Kept progress tracking every 2 weeks and adjusted if required.

I have also been IFing for about 3 years or so and you can definitely gain weight if you eat enough. For most people, more regular meal frequency will be beneficial though.
  • slimmim13
    slimmim13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you,

Did you gain weight?
  • YoungPongo91
    Options
    Drink a glass of milk every night before bed & eat something with it.. For ex. Peanut butter jelly sandwich. Remember.. Before bed! It will most likely help u gain a few pounds!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of milk every night before bed & eat something with it.. For ex. Peanut butter jelly sandwich. Remember.. Before bed! It will most likely help u gain a few pounds!

only if it puts you in a calorie surplus...
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

only if it puts you in a calorie surplus...

I agree! that is something I have often for a quick snack, to HELP me get into a surplus. But you need that surplus of calories, combined with a resistance training program.

When bulking, it needs to be treated the same way as your workouts, you'll have days where it sucks, you don't want to, I don't feel like it, I'm full, but...... it needs to be done. You need dedication. I can tell you that more then a few times a week, I don't feel like eating, but it gets done.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Figure out what your maintance calories are.

Then add at LEAST 200 to that- most women are good with a 3-400 calorie surplus.

Remember the surplus is a moving target... as you gain weight- you will need to eat more.

Remeber "clean eating" means absolutely 100% NOTHING when it comes to surplus- getting surplus trumps "lean meats". You can eat all the lean meat you want- but if you aren't in surplus- it's not going to do a darn thing for you.

Milk and ice cream (I prefer oreos' with mine) are a great way to round out the day if you aren't getting enough.

Invest in stretchy pants.

Give yourself a "window" meaning- 2-4 months- or 4-6 months, this gives you some flexibility mentally. I did that (4-6 window) and I was wanting to abandon ship at 3- forced myself to 4 and then realized I could do JUST ONE MORE- settled on a solid 5 month bulk and almost 15 lbs of gain.

Commit to doing it- you must believe in yourself- you will doubt yourself- you're going to feel fat- and miserable. just accept it and go for it.

The tape is a good indicator of size gains- I weighed regularly because I'm a nerd and I like these things (I actually weigh almost every day- sometimes it's good- sometimes it's bad).

You can do it, but you really need to be mentally prepared for it.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    how do you start? what advice did you seek?
    lurking MFP forums

Are you active?
    yes: skateboarding and running, just about every day

Do you find it hard.
    no and yes. it's not hard for me to understand that i need to eat more food, that is more calorie-dense, more often. it is hard for me to do it. after a year on MFP, my weight has not budged. :embarassed: