Are "Active Carbs" BS in Quest Bars?

Options
Like all protein bars, Quest Bars are high in carbs. However they are popular among some low-carbers for the low "active/net carbs" it has on the label. I was under the impression that you can't just add fiber to a high carb food to make it low-carb. I mean, fiber is available in powder form so can you just sprinkle a bunch of it on bread to make it net 0 carbs?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    :huh: This is why people keep telling you to stop worrying about supplements and just focus on eating food and exercising.

All the carbs in a food that are not fiber are considered "active carbs." So no, adding fiber to a food does not erase the carbs from other sources, it just adds more fiber.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    there are things like erythritol (a sugar alcohol) and some fibers that are included in US carbohydrates on the label but aren't digested, hence the "active carbs" concept.

You can't reduce the net carbs by adding anything, as adding 10g of fiber would increase both carbs and fiber by 10g leaving the net where it was.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    They have carbs, those carbs are MOSTLY fiber. Ta dah. Their claims are true.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a carbohydrate. It is indigestible.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    For me, at-least, it's BS...

I've tried them, and they cause blood glucose spikes that are WAY higher than their "net carb" total should. One bar with supposedly 4 net grams caused a rise in blood sugar I'd expect from between 15 and 20g of carbohydrate. I've tried three different flavours of them, all with similar results.

I'm not alone - other diabetics have tried these, and many of them note similar results: http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011/11/03/net-carb-vs-blood-sugars-the-quest-protein-bar-test/

As such, I'm fairly convinced the "net carbs" on them is pure marketing. I've even seen non-diabetics report of going from 83mg/dl to 134mg/dl after eating them - which is simply not representative of a 4 net carb intake for anyone.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I stay away from bars, they are just loaded with either carbs or sugar or just un natural bad stuff. Make your own if your worried about what you are eating or what an ingredient is and does. :)
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I've tried them, and they cause blood glucose spikes that are WAY higher than their "net carb" total should. One bar with supposedly 4 net grams caused a rise in blood sugar I'd expect from between 15 and 20g of carbohydrate. I've tried three different flavours of them, all with similar results.

I'm not alone - other diabetics have tried these, and many of them note similar results: http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011/11/03/net-carb-vs-blood-sugars-the-quest-protein-bar-test/

As such, I'm fairly convinced the "net carbs" on them is pure marketing. I've even seen non-diabetics report of going from 83mg/dl to 134mg/dl after eating them - which is simply not representative of a 4 net carb intake for anyone.

That's pretty damn convincing anecdotal proof right there. It's too bad I like how my new box of strawberry cheesecake quest bars taste! Fortunately, they are relatively low calorie for a protein bar.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    That's pretty damn convincing anecdotal proof right there. It's too bad I like how my new box of strawberry cheesecake quest bars taste! Fortunately, they are relatively low calorie for a protein bar.
    I really did enjoy the taste of some of them - I even enjoyed some more with about 10 seconds of microwaving first ... (Some where a little ... chewy...)

Bars only fit in my diet if I'm cycling long-distance and can eat the extra carbs. They fit wonderfully in a cycling jersey pocket.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    Options

I've got a couple of free samples on the way to me. I should get them soon. I asked around on here and a couple people said they didn't affect their blood sugar. I'm going to be my own guinea pig looks like.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with them, other than eating them too often and filling up more of my daily calories with bars than I'd prefer. Cookie dough is my go-to quest bar and is the lowest net carb bar they make (that I'm aware of).
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    It's moments like this that I just sit back and say, "Man, I'm glad I just like food, otherwise this would be a pain in the *kitten*." Js.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The last thing in the world you need to think about is "active carbs."
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    It's moments like this that I just sit back and say, "Man, I'm glad I just like food, otherwise this would be a pain in the *kitten*." Js.
    I hear ya. I much prefer food too!

Of course, when you're on a 6 hour long bike ride a quest bar does better in the jersey pocket than a home-made PB&J ... trust me on that.

I tried a sprouted-grain PB&J inside a sandwich baggie stuffed in a jersey pocket once ... it didn't work out so well. PB&J - if they fit into your diet - are best enjoyed fresh, as it turns out.
    I heard a rumour that Quest wants to trademark the phrase "active carbs" ... as they can't trademark "net carbs" ... I don't care if it's true or not, I just found it rather hilarious.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Of course, when you're on a 6 hour long bike ride a quest bar does better in the jersey pocket than a home-made PB&J ... trust me on that.

I tried a sprouted-grain PB&J inside a sandwich baggie stuffed in a jersey pocket once ... it didn't work out so well. PB&J - if they fit into your diet - are best enjoyed fresh, as it turns out.
    I heard a rumour that Quest wants to trademark the phrase "active carbs" ... as they can't trademark "net carbs" ... I don't care if it's true or not, I just found it rather hilarious.

I'm just imagining this poor, poor sammich all squishied. Did you mourn it and bury it promptly? Sing it a song? :(
  • parkscs
    Options

Unless you are trying to keep your non-fiber carbs within a particular range every day... then it's pretty relevant.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Unless you are trying to keep your non-fiber carbs within a particular range every day... then it's pretty relevant.

... And if you're trying to do that, chances are you're wasting your time.
  • parkscs
    Options

... And if you're trying to do that, chances are you're wasting your time.

Man, I wish Lyle McDonald had talked to you before he wrote a book on the subject. If he knew it was a complete waste of time, he probably could have avoided a lot of effort researching and writing 300 pages about it. :wink:
  • AwesomeGuy37
    Options
    Tested the Quest Double Chocolate Chunk this morning. My blood sugar rose from 91 to 129 in 1 hour.
    3 net carbs is completely false.
  • albertabeefy
    Options

I'm just imagining this poor, poor sammich all squishied. Did you mourn it and bury it promptly? Sing it a song? :(
    Unfortunately, no. As a Type I diabetic I needed to eat the warm, squishy, nasty sammich.

Tested the Quest Double Chocolate Chunk this morning. My blood sugar rose from 91 to 129 in 1 hour.
    3 net carbs is completely false.
    I think that's the reason Quest calls them "Active Carbs" because they *can* get in trouble if they make false "net carb" claims.