pain in my leg from walking.

Options
13»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Only on MFP does encouraging someone to build up slowly so as not to injure themselves equate to negativity.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I often would walk up to 12 miles a day, usually only seven to ten while in the Dominican. Mind you it was on a beach, but I see no problem with this much walking. In fact I would often get pain in my toe joints from this much walking, but I solved it by wearing vibrams and stretching.

Don't listen to the nay sayers. If it's not omg pain and just annoying pain, it just means you are irritating something. Look into the stretches. Make sure you have good shoes and walk on I say. Humans were meant to walk. I wish I had four hours a day to walk while in Canada. Maybe see a physical therapist if the pain keeps up.

People on here can be so negative sometimes.

Telling the OP to slow down and progress slower and finding alternative ways to have him exercise so as to not exacerbate his leg is not negative, in my opinion.

I guess you'd rather us just say, "You got this. Keep going even if it means possibly seriously injuring yourself."
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Okay wear a low cut top to school. Walk ONLY to the school. Make friends with someone with a car. Get a ride home.

Only walk 6.2 miles per day. Profit.

BAM! FINAL ANSWER!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Only on MFP does encouraging someone to build up slowly so as not to injure themselves equate to negativity.

Why are you being such a hater?

You're probably just jealous.

OP, you got this!

We're all here for the same reason...

(...which in this case appears to be sudden increases in walking mileage to the point of causing physical injury but for which advice to scale back and gradually work into it are seen as negativity.)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I often would walk up to 12 miles a day, usually only seven to ten while in the Dominican. Mind you it was on a beach, but I see no problem with this much walking. In fact I would often get pain in my toe joints from this much walking, but I solved it by wearing vibrams and stretching.

Don't listen to the nay sayers. If it's not omg pain and just annoying pain, it just means you are irritating something. Look into the stretches. Make sure you have good shoes and walk on I say. Humans were meant to walk. I wish I had four hours a day to walk while in Canada. Maybe see a physical therapist if the pain keeps up.

People on here can be so negative sometimes.

Would a physical therapist tell her to keep walking 13 miles a day when her leg is bothering her to the point that she started a thread about it to ask for advice?
  • SibyllKingsley
    Options
    Wow. I don't even know what to say this is definitely not what I imagined when starting this thread- I think the negativity they are referring to is the fact that each and every one of you has to drive your opinion to the point of insult, with snide comments like " well do what you want if you want to be disabled." that's some rude ****. just saying. a simple "well overuse will cause some life long pain" would have sufficed and that one chick posting a picture of my ticker saying " you might end up on your *kitten*" how is that helpful? have I been negative about the advice you have given me about stretches and not walking so much or using a bike? no. I have taken your opinion with our sarcasm or rudeness. To me it seems like a lot of you just want to be heard- no matter if its helpful.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    invest in some good shoes that have been fitted to you by gait analysis and buy some KT Tape. I love that stuff. works so well.
  • SibyllKingsley
    Options
    I've never walked a marathon before so I have no idea how long they are. Also- when I walk 13.5 miles a day I burn a lot of calories- which is nice because I can eat whatever (with in reason) and still lose weight. I have only been doing this since the 4th of may. friday and saturday were my rest days. When I have days where my leg hurts then I only walk 6-7 miles. I see nothing wrong with walking this much. It is low impact, I have the time it takes (4 and a half hours) and I am more active so I don't really see a problem. I will however adjust if I should start taking vitamins. So far all I do now is drink muscle milk after my walks.

So even if it is causing excruciating pain you don't see anything wrong with this?

Okay then. Best of luck there.

also when did I say it was causing me "excrutiating pain" I think a lot of you are just replying with out reading what I have actually written.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    True I only started walking 13.5 miles this week but since the 1st of april I have been walking 6 miles. I increased my distance because there was no weight loss at only walking 6 miles a day.

OP...this post right here is why some responded to you the way that they did.

You left off some details...you didn't tell us that it was to get to school...you made it sound as if you were doing this to lose weight. Pushing yourself that much is not wise. Walking certainly helps in weight loss but not if your over eating.

Do you live where you can catch a bus? If so maybe walk part way and then get on the bus??? If walking is the only way that you have to get to school then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Try some ice packs...then maybe a little heat. When I was having a lot of leg pain I took anti-inflammatories...Advil or the store brand equivalent.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've just injured my knee (humiliatingly just from lying in bed in an awkward position..). I used to hurt my ligaments quite often as a kid, so I know that the answer is generally Rest (in other words, try to keep weight off the injured area), Ice (I have these nice blue bead freezer packs from Walgreens which don't burn the skin which I like), Compression (a support in case the area needs stabilizing - not always necessary, but can really help) and Elevation (keep the injured area higher than most of your body - so as I type I have my knee propped up). If you are worried, go to a doctor or a chiropractor (they sometimes have useful insights into how you use your body that places strains on some joints, for example).

I also LOVE walking, and typically walk an hour a day. The shoes you wear are really important, and I also focus on placing my feet carefully, and keeping my body aligned and comfortable. When my pain in the knee goes, and depending on what my doc advises on Thursday, I'll be starting back gradually (less time walking and rest days as needed), and will probably focus on building muscle strength around the knee to support the joint.

But right now, rest is more important than anything.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    True I only started walking 13.5 miles this week but since the 1st of april I have been walking 6 miles. I increased my distance because there was no weight loss at only walking 6 miles a day.

OP...this post right here is why some responded to you the way that they did.

You left off some details...you didn't tell us that it was to get to school...you made it sound as if you were doing this to lose weight. Pushing yourself that much is not wise. Walking certainly helps in weight loss but not if your over eating.

Do you live where you can catch a bus? If so maybe walk part way and then get on the bus??? If walking is the only way that you have to get to school then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Try some ice packs...then maybe a little heat. When I was having a lot of leg pain I took anti-inflammatories...Advil or the store brand equivalent.

Oh look. It's an MFP plot twist. Details that would have been good to know at the start. But the same advice would still apply (in regards to the above with public transportation) or a bike. Even if you have to push it up hill part of the ways.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    two words: foam roller.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

Just keep doubling the distance

forest-gump1.jpg
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

This^^^^^^^^^

This entire thread made my brain feel like this:

57cc4986-bf82-4e5f-8cee-09f50b976c10_zps2ed2b58a.jpg
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Could be sciatica. It's a pinched nerve in your leg from back problems. It's a sharp pain that can make you limp. You might want to try a back adjustment.