Popping knees?

Ever since I started being more active 5 weeks ago, my knees have been giving me problems. Sometimes they hurt, other times they just . . . pop. Like in the morning as I walk down the stairs, they pop as I extend my legs and make kind of a cracking noise.

I've got a fair amount of weight to lose and I'm guessing that this is the majority (if not all) of the problem. Are the knee problems just going to get better as I lose weight?

If not, are there specific stretches or exercises I should be doing to improve my knee functioning?

Otherwise, should I be doing different work for exercise? I basically walk, climb stairs, and jog for cardio. Are there ways to be more gentle on my knees while still doing weight-bearing exercise?

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Noises aren't necessarily a concern. My knees and ankles have made all kinds of noises for years. Pain is generally not good and you might want to get it looked at.

An elliptical would be lower impact than jogging and might not be as hard on your knees. I know you mentioned weight bearing, but I also swim and bike to help with my knees.

For knee specific exercises, I'd talk to a personal trainer. I've started doing squats, but you have to have good form or you can do more damage than good.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Agree with above poster. Noises aren't a big deal (especially popping noises -- crumpling noises are a bit more serious) but pain is not good. Soreness is okay.

My knees used to "click" when I was heavier, but the noises did suddenly stop after exercising regularly for several months and losing a lot of weight.

As you get older -- I notice you're only just 29 -- this sort of stuff will start cropping up more. Welcome! If you're very heavy and are experiencing knee pain, you might need to cut out the jogging in favor of more low-impact activities. I've known obese people who jogged, but typically only very young ones. Not many in their 30s and beyond. Jogging is TOUGH on the joints, particularly if you're carrying plenty of extra weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Who's knees don't pop?