Eating too many calories

Options
I have found that I can exercise all day long, but have a tremendously hard time limiting my calories. Any ideas on how to work out for atleast 60 mins a day but only eat 1600-1800ish calories? I drink 14-20 cups of water a day. Thanks:)

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    First thing that jumps out is the lack of vegetables. You can add a lot of bulk and fiber for very few calories with the veggies.

Two hamburger patties and a hot dog in one meal? Pick one, add some veggies, enjoy.

Try making a switch towards leaner proteins. Boneless, skinless chicken breast, pork loin, turkey breast, even the leaner cuts of beef would all be better options than hot dogs and pepperoni.

Portions.. 1 1/2 cups of ice cream is three portions. Stick with one and eat a third the calories.

Tuscan Ranch dressing, 4 tbsp for 280 calories.. Find a lighter dressing that you enjoy. By this, I don't necessarily mean "free" from anything and you may end up with a whole different flavor. I've found that the Roasted Red Pepper Italian is delicious and it's only 25 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Less premade processed foods like pizza and more home made foods, fruit and veg to fill you up for less calories. Also try and track every day as there's days missing.

Also what exercise are you doing to have nearly 1500 calorie burns a day?!!
  • kristinahargraves
    kristinahargraves Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the suggestions! I zumba and I walk:) The missing days are from when I was sick I didn't track.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can exercise all day long, but have a tremendously hard time limiting my calories. Any ideas on how to work out for atleast 60 mins a day but only eat 1600-1800ish calories? I drink 14-20 cups of water a day. Thanks:)
    Depending on your settings, exercising that long could well indicate a need for more calories than that; MFP expects you to eat back exercise calories, and it's particularly important on Sedentary or Lightly Active settings.

Is there a particular reason you feel the need to drink that much water?
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    Same, wish my burns were like that! My HRM gives me around 600-700 burned for a 70 min class!!

Feel free to friend me btw, I eat 1700 a day so you may be able to get some ideas food wise :)
  • kristinahargraves
    Options
    I never feel like im drinking to much water I just always have a bottle around me. Is it to much water?
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Do you use a HRM or are you using mfp for your calorie burns? You could vastly be overestimating your burns.
  • sadiebea25
    sadiebea25 Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi! I just looked at a couple days, but could you switch to diet coke and use stevia in your tea instead of sugar? And I bet you're counting too many calories burned for zumba and walking, MFP is notorious for over-estimating calorie burns. I burn about 400-500 for an hour of zumba, and 200 for a 40 minute 2.5 mile walk, according to my HRM. But good logging, and good luck!

You can friend me too, I eat about 1500-1700 cals a day
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    I'm kinda surprised by the burns too, is why I asked. I know MFP will say I've burned like 1150 when it's more like 650-700, massive difference that adds up if you workout a lot!
  • kristinahargraves
    Options
    mfp for my burns I usually just go with whatever they say I burned. Usually when I exercise its for time not calories burned. I figure as long as its 30 to 60 minutes a day Im getting in good exercise. Usually I go longer than that. Exercise doesn't really bother me I'm a sahm having access to the fridge is what gets me. I just started tracking calories almost 3 wks ago. It was a shocker to see how much I was eating!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Protein for satiation, veggies for fiber. Not saying you have to eat only lean protein and veggies but the more lean protein and veggies the eat the fuller you will feel on less calories.

I'm a 6' tall man who was doing intense exercise 6 days a week and when I first started by trying to eat "clean" where I only ate lean meat and vegetables I struggled to eat enough to get 1500 calories, it was just way way to filling.

Since then I just added more calorically rich foods and I'm fine now. Not saying you should eat only lean meat and veggies but if your trouble is feeling hungry and not hitting your calorie goal add protein and vegetables.
  • kristinahargraves
    Options
    I gave up diet soda years ago and was soooo addicted to it. I try not to drink soda but it happens. These last few days I had like one a day and just need to cut it out. I like regular sugar but thinking of trying honey in my tea.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I'm a sahm having access to the fridge is what gets me. I just started tracking calories almost 3 wks ago. It was a shocker to see how much I was eating!

I totally understand that access to the fridge! I'm a sahm and have a home daycare so there's also the temptation to eat or at least nibble at the meals I prepare for the kids.

I usually eat 1400 - 1560 calories per day if you want to take a look for ideas.

Regarding the diet sodas, I had given them up for a long while. I didn't notice any difference in how I felt other than that I was drinking "real" soda and those calories were landing right on my hips.. I started back on the diet sodas, 5/10 calorie drink mixes like Crystal Light, or water.

If you are using MFP's estimates for your exercise, only eat back 1/2 to 3/4 of those calories. MFP is horrible at overestimating the burns.
  • kristinahargraves
    Options
    Ive been thinking of adding eggs to my diet more often for protein. All great suggestions thanks!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Ive been thinking of adding eggs to my diet more often for protein. All great suggestions thanks!

For lean protein good sources would be chicken breast, turkey breast or tuna. Lean protein being foods that are very high in protein but low in fat.

For example a 12 oz (3/4 of a pound) can of chunk light tuna in water has about 65g of protein and almost zero fat so only 300 calories. I dare you to eat a 12 oz can of tuna and not feel completely stuffed for hours.

A 4oz chicken breast is almost entirely protein and comes in at about 130 calories. Eat 3 chicken breasts and I'm sure you will feel full for quite some time but will have only eaten a modest 390 calories.

Lean proteins fill you up. People who try to eat only lean proteins and veggies have the opposite problem as you, they struggle to eat enough calories because the food is just too filling.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda years ago and was soooo addicted to it. I try not to drink soda but it happens. These last few days I had like one a day and just need to cut it out. I like regular sugar but thinking of trying honey in my tea.

honey, sugar, same same.

It looks to me as though you have a very large allotment of cals towards condiments and high fat foods. Fat is definitely required in your diet but in a balanced diet it should be around 25% of cals or so. (around .3-.5g per lb of BW alternatively)

As fat is by far the most calorie dense of the macronutrients, I'd be looking to lower that and that will sort out a large chunk of your over eating.
  • kristinahargraves
    Options
    I googled a zumba fitness calculator and put in the 80 mins I did today at high intensity and my weight 249 lbs and it came up with the same calories burned as MFP. What do you guys use to determine your calories burned?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I googled a zumba fitness calculator and put in the 80 mins I did today at high intensity and my weight 249 lbs and it came up with the same calories burned as MFP. What do you guys use to determine your calories burned?

I go off a heart rate monitor and the concept that no matter how hard your heart is pounding out of your chest its almost impossible to burn more than 10 calories a minute.
  • kristinahargraves
    Options

For lean protein good sources would be chicken breast, turkey breast or tuna. Lean protein being foods that are very high in protein but low in fat.

For example a 12 oz (3/4 of a pound) can of chunk light tuna in water has about 65g of protein and almost zero fat so only 300 calories. I dare you to eat a 12 oz can of tuna and not feel completely stuffed for hours.

A 4oz chicken breast is almost entirely protein and comes in at about 130 calories. Eat 3 chicken breasts and I'm sure you will feel full for quite some time but will have only eaten a modest 390 calories.

Lean proteins fill you up. People who try to eat only lean proteins and veggies have the opposite problem as you, they struggle to eat enough calories because the food is just too filling.

I will have to take you up on that dare and let you know how it goes.
  • ravenmiss
    Options

My heart rate monitor, zumba calculators and MFP way WAY overestimate them. I even knock some off my HRM to be honest.

I try and aim for and often get at least 100g protein a day, more on days when I lift.