piriformis sydnrome?

Options
phys72
phys72 Posts: 66 Member
After over a year of seeing ortho docs and several PT's I now have a diagnosis of piriformis syndrome. It presented itself much like a herniated disc as I have numbness/burning pain all the way down the leg. I can't even go for a simple walk so it has been a pain in the *kitten* (quite literally) for a long time now. The psyiatrist who diagnosed me along with the Pt said its going to be a long road to recovery. :-(

I know it can be quite common with runners (which I'm not.... at least not yet) but I had a pretty significant hip injury which was probably the cause.

Anxious to get this pudgy body muscular but feeling a little defeated since I can't even walk for exercise. Anyone dealt with this and can offer encouragement?

Replies

• kelli_panzera
    kelli_panzera Posts: 171
    Options
    This may sound silly, but if you have a tennis ball, and put it under the piriformis muscle when you lie down, it may be very painful at first, but the pressure will eventually loosen up that muscle. I'm not saying to sleep on it all night, but lie on it until you feel it begin to loosen up. It might help, and you can do it as often as you need to.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube and do a search for piriformis stretches. The right stretches will work wonders for you.
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    He said I'm using the wrong muscle to walk(?) and thats why its going to be a long road to retrain it. Also that I might require injections. Yikes.
  • plaferriere
    Options
    I actually sufferred from July to October with a tight piriformis which caused major sciatica issues. My biggest issue was standing from a sitting position without excruciating pain, or being able to fully extend my right leg flat out in front of me when seated. In October I had enough and went to see my Dr. He sent me to a physiotherapist and I started my own treatment regimen as well. First off, cold therapy will reduce inflammation and swelling and give you some pain relief. You should supplement the healing process with exercises and stretches in order to stimulate blood flow frequently. A standard part of that therapy would be to stimulate blood flow, because the more we promote blood flow, the faster we will heal. And even after healing, you should keep it up as to prevent further injury. Your body continues to heal itself long after the pain has disappeared. It is very common for the full healing process to continue for 2 years or longer, even for rather minor injuries. Physiotherapy consisted of stretching exercises (both done by myself and manually by the physiotherapist). After each session they applied cold (to decrease inflammation caused from working the area during the physio session) followed by some form of therapy (electric currant; laser; ultrasound etc., basically to stimulate the blood flow) At home I would follow my regular treatment regimen of BFST and ColdCure as well. My physiotherapist was amazed at how quickly my condition improved since typically, sessions are usually 3 times per week for 6 weeks or more. It was probably more due to the fact that I didn't have to wait for my physio appointments in order to keep my blood flow stimulated. I was able to continue, not only my stretching exercises, but was also able to use my products at home in between sessions. When first starting physio, I could not lift my right leg to even a 45 degree angle (while laying flat on my back). Within the 5 weeks (only 8 physio treatments) my leg could be extended way past a 90 degree angle. I now have full range of motion and absolutely no pain whatsoever. http://www.kingbrand.com/Sciatica_Treatment.php?REF=36PV73