Working out...Where do you fit it in to your schedule?

Options
13»

Replies

• 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Lunch time. Just finished, as a matter of fact. I hit the gym on my company's campus or I go run. Shower off then eat at my desk.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 a.m., prep the household for the morning (put on the coffee, etc)., walk the dogs, then I go to the gym so I'm there by 6 a.m. I work out from 6 to 7 a.m., come home, shower and sit down with the family at 7:20 for breakfast. On the weekends, I may sleep an hour later, but pretty much the same routine.

You just have to do it. I didn't always get up this early and I didn't always work out, but I found if I just make it a nonnegotiable, I do it.

The cool thing about working out routinely is that no matter how the day goes, you've always accomplished something!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I live on a farm, I'm retired, I have no schedule; I just do whatever needs doing, whether it's hauling hay, building a greenhouse, cleaning stalls, whatever.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting to bed early enough and getting enough sleep.

Put an alarm on the other side of the bedroom, not ride beside of the bed.

If you drink coffee, set it to end it's brew by the time the alarm goes off.

Get everything ready the night before.

Get up and exercise.

You are young! You will get busier as you get older......until a certain age, but I plan on staying busy for life.
  • mlyn0812
    mlyn0812 Posts: 31
    Options
    First thing in the morning is my favorite time to workout. That way its done and out of the way, and it really makes me feel great the rest of the day. I'm a morning person who naturally wakes up at 5am without the help of an alarm clock (I am not capable of sleeping in past 6am lol) so getting out of bed that early in the morning isn't too hard for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    we all have the same time in a day. none of us are given any more or less.

at the moment, you would prefer to sleep rather than exercise. simple as that. you make sleeping the priority.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I sneak in two 15 minute 1 mile walks on my breaks and since I sit at a desk and work I can eat, which allows me to use my lunch for a workout. Then I find times in late evening or early mornings to sneak in at least 20 minutes of HIIT.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, it's very important to schedule in your workouts. I'm fortunate to work for a company that offers an amazing gym with awesome classes. Most of the times, I work out around lunchtime but it just depends on the class times. I have set up recurring meeting appointments for these gym workouts in Outlook, so that I'm accountable to it. Now it's become such a habit that I can't imagine not working out daily.

If I didn't have such a great gym at work where I could take classes in the middle of the day, I'd prefer working out at night time. I either will take a walk with my husband after dinner, or we'll play tennis. On the weekends, we usually plan a bike ride.

I have heard that it's easier to make exercise a routine if it's done in the mornings, since you have no excuse for skipping if after work, such as if you're too tired, have last minute dinner plans, etc. I tried that for a bit but would dread getting up so early, would feel tired later on, and I've come to accept that I'm not a morning person. So I believe now that it doesn't matter when you schedule in exercise, as long as you do it at a time that's most convenient for you and when you'll have enough energy for it! :)
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You don't fit it in- you make time.

Prepare in advance- find open spaces- insist other people in your life who are supposed to be supporting you- ACTUALLY support you by letting you have your time for you.

I go later at night- or if I can't go at all I do a HIIT work out at home.

We are all busy- some single mom's- some work multiple jobs- some out of town relationships and stressful jobs- pets- obligations- voluneer services whatever- we all make time for it when it's important. we do it- you can to!

I agree completely.

For me, I've found I can only have a handful of priorities... and I have to put working out near the top, otherwise it's not going to happen. Social events, keeping the hose or yard nice, ect... all come after.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm humbled by all of you who get up at 4:00 am to work out. I'm three weeks into a new job -- back in the full time workforce after a lonnng hiatus -- living overseas, working as a consultant, and having babies -- and all I can say is...I'm exhausted!

I'm up at 6:00 am, get myself showered & dressed for work, then get kids (aged 7 and 9) up & dressed for school, feed everyone (including myself), make lunches, pack backpacks, feed dogs, etc. We're out the door by 8:00. I feel guilty about not being home when my kids get home from school. A babysitter meets them at the bus, helps them with homework, then drives them to their various after-school activities (soccer practice, piano lessons, art class, gymnastics, girl scouts), then I go straight from work to pick them up from said activities, and I'm generally home between 7:00 and 8:00 pm, at which point I have to feed the family, get kids cleaned up for the next morning, clean up the kitchen, and generally tidy up the house and get ready for the next morning. I'm usually falling into bed exhausted by 9:30 or 10:00.

I have a gym membership just down the street from my office, and my boss is supportive of me taking the time to exercise when my schedule allows. I have a pretty heavy workload, though, and so far I haven't been able to do it. Plus the thought of getting all sweaty and having to shower at the gym and put my work clothes back on (and keep sweating, because you can't just turn it off after a workout), and come back to work all within one hour is just daunting.

I feel pretty proud of myself for squeezing runs in here and there. The last three weeks, I've brought my running clothes with me to work. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, I've been changing in the bathroom at work at 5:30 and going for a run before going to pick up the kids. Weekends I've been getting up relatively early while everyone else sleeps (7:00 or so) and going for a run in my neighborhood. Mondays and Fridays I go straight home, which gets me there by 6:00. I want to spend as much time as I can with my kids, though (again, mom guilt), so the last thing I want to do at that point is work out.

I know what I have to do: schedule weight training at the gym around lunchtime during the week (less sweaty than running or spinning or some other type of aerobic exercise at the gym, at least for me), at least twice a week, and try to plan my work schedule around that. If I can do that and keep up with my running schedule, I'll feel satisfied.

Thanks for reading. :)

ETA: Where is my husband in all this activity, you ask? He's a slug! (Plus he's a doc in the Army and I can't count on him to have a regular schedule, so I can't count on him at all)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You don't fit it in- you make time.

Prepare in advance- find open spaces- insist other people in your life who are supposed to be supporting you- ACTUALLY support you by letting you have your time for you.

I go later at night- or if I can't go at all I do a HIIT work out at home.

We are all busy- some single mom's- some work multiple jobs- some out of town relationships and stressful jobs- pets- obligations- voluneer services whatever- we all make time for it when it's important. we do it- you can to!

I agree completely.

For me, I've found I can only have a handful of priorities... and I have to put working out near the top, otherwise it's not going to happen. Social events, keeping the hose or yard nice, ect... all come after.

indeed.

If it's monday- I got to the gym.... Monday is lift day- there for I go.

So Monday is: work- lift- then off to dance class.

this is what I do- and it doesn't matter if people ask me out to do things- it has to be a big thing for me to give up lifting (I'm actually giving up dance class for a lifting event) and I'll be going to an extra class to make up for it.

If I give up a day of lifting- I make sure I have a slot available to move it to- rather than just "skipping it" indefinitely.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If I had my way, I'd love to workout at 10 or 11am. Unfortunately, I'm trapped in school 9-3:30pm.

I get exercise in by signing up for softball, lacrosse or paddling teams. That way I'm FORCED to show up to practices/games (usually 6 or 8pm) because others are relying on me. I try to take a nap after school & I might still feel tired, but once I'm there & start up, I enjoy it. I usually try to weightlift on Saturdays or whenever I get ped days.

When there was a noon kickboxing class located close enough to school, I used to do that. I'd workout 12-12:40, do a very quick shower (or not), make a smoothie & eat it in class when I got back.

Sometimes I weightlift around 6:30 or 7am before school. I usually wake up around 5 or 6am, but it's not a given that I'll feel like working out. If I go to sleep around 9 or 10, I might feel good/awake enough at 6:30am to lift.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    PS. I find a preworkout drink will wake me up & make me feel a bit more energized to leave the house! And it helps me lift heavier & bang out more reps. It's usually a powder that you mix in with water & drink 30mins before a workout. Mine has creatine, ginseng & some other stuff.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    early mornings might be my only option.
    Give morning workouts a try. You will probably hate it for 2 -3 weeks, eventually your body and mind will adjust to the change. After you develop the habit it gets easier.