<1000 calories and still not losing weight?

Options
Hi All, I'm new to MFP, and I'm hoping that this can finally help me get to my weight goal for the past 2 years! I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but I have 10 lbs to lose so that everything in my closet can fit again. I'm sick of wearing nothing but work-out clothes for the last two years, and I feel like it's taking a serious toll on my mental health.
I'm 5'2" and weight 130lbs. For the last 8 weeks, I've been consistently eating approximately 1000 calories/day and have been working out 5x/week including treadmill (jogging/fast-paced walking AND pilates/power yoga). My weight has not budged and I'm starting to think I'm not eating enough throughout the day.
Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong, and what I should be doing to see results.
Much Appreciated!!!

Replies

• Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What does MFP have you set for for calories to lose 1-2 lbs per week?
    Or go online and use a calorie calculator to find out.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 130lbs is a good weight. If you want to lose any more than that, I would suggest only losing about 10-15 max and doing it by eating a very moderate deficit. You want to lose a half pound per week, weigh all of your food, and use a heart rate monitor to measure your burns. The more accurate you are, the better. However, 1000 calories is way too low.

Read these links and they should help you more
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm new to MFP, and I'm hoping that this can finally help me get to my weight goal for the past 2 years! I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but I have 10 lbs to lose so that everything in my closet can fit again. I'm sick of wearing nothing but work-out clothes for the last two years, and I feel like it's taking a serious toll on my mental health.

I have to go on a tangent and ask, why didn't you buy new clothes?
    I'm 5'2" and weight 130lbs. For the last 8 weeks, I've been consistently eating approximately 1000 calories/day and have been working out 5x/week including treadmill (jogging/fast-paced walking AND pilates/power yoga). My weight has not budged and I'm starting to think I'm not eating enough throughout the day.
    Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong, and what I should be doing to see results.
    Much Appreciated!!!

Yes, you need to eat more if you are truly eating 1,000 calories a day. If you are eating 1,000 calories a day and exercising 5 days a week, what the heck are you living on? I'm at 1,200 calories a day and the way the math works is I might eat 1,600 calories, exercise off 400 calories, and that lands me at 1,200. That still give me plenty of a deficit to lose weight.

Make sure you are really eating what you think (weigh/measure everything and log it). Then you might also see if there are holes in your diet (not enough protein for example).
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Much Appreciated!!!

No you haven't...
  • NadiaGH
    NadiaGH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set at 1290 cals/day. And based on the Mifflin - St Jeor equation and Scooby method, it's pretty accurate (+/- 20).
  • NadiaGH
    Options
    thank you, they are pretty lengthy, so I will have to read through them later tonight. :-D
  • NadiaGH
    Options

I have to go on a tangent and ask, why didn't you buy new clothes?
    Much Appreciated!!!

Yes, you need to eat more if you are truly eating 1,000 calories a day. If you are eating 1,000 calories a day and exercising 5 days a week, what the heck are you living on? I'm at 1,200 calories a day and the way the math works is I might eat 1,600 calories, exercise off 400 calories, and that lands me at 1,200. That still give me plenty of a deficit to lose weight.

Make sure you are really eating what you think (weigh/measure everything and log it). Then you might also see if there are holes in your diet (not enough protein for example).

My husband asks me the same thing all the damn time. Why don't you buy clothes that fit!?!? Stubborn ol' me refuses to, I don't want to buy bigger sizes... Just the thought of it depresses me... :-(
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about losing weight, get a scale and measure ALL of your food. Log everything, including bites and tastes.
  • NadiaGH
    Options
    Much Appreciated!!!

To be honest, I haven't logged my food for the past 8 weeks, but I started today, and it was very close to my regular eating habits...
    I usually have egg whites in the morning. Fruit and nuts at lunch. Some days a skinless chicken breast or two. And dinner is a salad with usually a bean or lentil curry.

No you haven't...
  • CapeCodSheila
    CapeCodSheila Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your body is in starvation mode because you're not feeding it enough!! As strange as it sounds, you have to eat more to lose weight, especially since you're consistently working out. And make sure you have at least 8 glasses of water a day. I just read a medical report that said you should never eat less than 1200 calories a day, which is the absolute lowest MFP allows. Then your workouts earn calories that you should also use-though MFP seems to overestimate the calories there, so I try to only eat half of them. Weight Watchers says the same thing, so it's obviously been researched to death. try it for a week or two and I'm sure you'll see a huge difference. And those last 10 pounds are just as hard to lose as higher amounts
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing then you are not eating at a deficit. Read the links provided. You need to weigh all the solid food that you eat and measure all of the liquids you have. Also, the MFP database and machines overestimates calorie burns. A heart rate monitor with a chest strap will give you more accurate results for steady state cardio but you need to find a reliable calculator for yoga, etc. You should also only aim at losing 1/2lb a week with only 10lbs to lose for healthy sustainable weight loss.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you are truly eating 1000 total calories a day, and you are doing cardio exercise every day and you aren't losing any weight at all, then you have a metabolic issue or some sort of disease. The more likely scenario is that you're either underestimating calorie intake, overestimating calorie burn, or both...
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

My husband asks me the same thing all the damn time. Why don't you buy clothes that fit!?!? Stubborn ol' me refuses to, I don't want to buy bigger sizes... Just the thought of it depresses me... :-(

People can't read the size on your label. They can notice your clothes being too tight and you being uncomfortable.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this but it sounds like your body is in survival mode...big time. The importance of eating enough calories is covered in this link and includes why the "last 10" are the hardest to lose. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Hope you can get this sorted. Welcome aboard.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your body is in starvation mode because you're not feeding it enough!! As strange as it sounds, you have to eat more to lose weight, especially since you're consistently working out.

THIS!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Your body is in starvation mode because you're not feeding it enough!! As strange as it sounds, you have to eat more to lose weight, especially since you're consistently working out. And make sure you have at least 8 glasses of water a day. I just read a medical report that said you should never eat less than 1200 calories a day, which is the absolute lowest MFP allows. Then your workouts earn calories that you should also use-though MFP seems to overestimate the calories there, so I try to only eat half of them. Weight Watchers says the same thing, so it's obviously been researched to death. try it for a week or two and I'm sure you'll see a huge difference. And those last 10 pounds are just as hard to lose as higher amounts

No, not in starvation mode. And if the OP isn't weighing/measuring everything then she doesn't know how much she's eating.
  • NadiaGH
    Options

People can't read the size on your label. They can notice your clothes being too tight and you being uncomfortable.

I actually love that... It's something I have refused to accept for SO LONG. Even in high school and college, with the gain & loss of 5lbs here and there, I refused to buy bigger sizes. I'm going to follow MFP guidelines for the next two weeks as 1princesswarr suggested, but if I don't see a difference, then I'm gonna go buy me some cheap gear so that I don't hold onto it very long!
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    The number on the scale is not an accurate representation. Do you have before/after pictures to compare your body to? Do you measure your body to see if you've lost inches? Because you might've been gaining weight in muscle (which is awesome) and that's why you're at the same weight but your body has probably changed. Having before and after pictures will help you a lot! :)
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If you are at a deficit, you will lose weight. PERIOD. Some people apparently believe they are immune to physics. The metabolism never slows down to a point where you stop losing weight if you are truly eating at a deficit. The more logical answers have been given to you.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    If you are at a deficit, you will lose weight. PERIOD. Some people apparently believe they are immune to physics. The metabolism never slows down to a point where you stop losing weight if you are truly eating at a deficit. The more logical answers have been given to you.

^^^ This .... .