To gym or not to gym... that is the question

I'm considering joining the gym but have always had a bad track record with joining for a year and not actually going. Just wondering, is joining the gym the fastest way to get to weight loss exercise wise?

Replies

• Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    There is nothing special about the gym, though if it has equipment you want to use that you would otherwise not have access to, then it's a plus. If you have a bad track record, what is different this time? If the answer is "nothing", then don't waste your money joining. You need to find something you enjoy and that you will stick with, and it doesn't need to be fancy. Even just walking every day is good exercise, especially if you are out of shape. Weight loss is mostly diet anyway, exercise is just a bonus and excellent for general health.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    I can only talk from my personal experiences, but I feel like I get a much better workout at a fitness center (either at the apartments or at a local gym) than I do at home. For me there are less distractions and more space to work out with nice equipment, but it is a lot harder to be motivated to actually go. You might want to look into some fitness DVDs and things before forking over the money for the gym. If you do want a gym, YMCAs are typically cheaper, or if you have a local college their memberships can be pretty good for non-students. Shop around and see what works for you and figure out what you want to achieve at the gym!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    you will get mixed reviews on this one. i think its down to personal preference. Apart from spinning(which i havent done for abit now) i do all my workouts at home. you tube, fitness blender.com and hasfit.com have loads. Spend 30/40 mins each day and then done.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Being consistent is the fastest way to get weight loss, exercise (or not) wise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Join a gym if you like going to the gym.

If you don't- then don't.

But picking something and sticking with it- is how you get results.