Eat More Fruits & Vegetables Challenge!

Options

Replies

• sonnig_tag
    sonnig_tag Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also - a technical question - how do I find this thread easily? Is there a way to mark it?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Also - a technical question - how do I find this thread easily? Is there a way to mark it?

By posting in it, you've marked it. Go to "My topics" and you'll find it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'll commit to 1-2 servings of vegetables a day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You ppl act like you never ate a vegetable before in your life. *smh*

It's not that big a deal. And you don't have to "commit" and you don't have to eat like insane amounts of servings a day. and you don't have to give yourself intestinal distress by going whole hog overnight.

all this enthusiasm is leaving me unenthused.

why not increase gradually in a measured and calm way so the changes may take effect and be lasting?
  • N3rdyBird_
    N3rdyBird_ Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Count me in! Haha
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Where?

It's not that big a deal. And you don't have to "commit" and you don't have to eat like insane amounts of servings a day. and you don't have to give yourself intestinal distress by going whole hog overnight.

I've been working on increasing my veggie intake for quite some time. I'm not worried about my intestines, and there's nothing wrong with people wanting to eat more veggies.

:flowerforyou:
    why not increase gradually in a measured and calm way so the changes may take effect and be lasting?

Why assume people aren't calm?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've got some kind of belly upset today (might be coming down with something) so wimping on the veggies. But I did wipe out four servings of raisins. Yum!
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I haven't seen any posts here advocating that people go "whole hog overnight", but thanks for the reminder for people who are going from almost no fiber to gradually increase their fiber intake! I do find it helpful to commit to a certain number of servings, just like a commit to a certain number of exercise minutes and calories every week. Sorry that enthusiasm has a negative effect on you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Got some fresh asparagus at the green market this morning and had some with breakfast. Also grabbed some radishes (I love radishes) and turnips, which means I also have more greens. I love being able to look forward to what's newly out each week.

All the farmers markets here sell this mild sort of radish called the french breakfast radish that my mother fell in love with and is frustrated she can't find where she lives. I got the regular radishes, but I've gotten in the habit of enjoying them with breakfast, as well as on a salad.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Slim chance I will get my hands on a salad tonight, but most likely have eaten all my veggies for the day: spinach, onions, and red peppers roasted on a tortilla with some oregano and basil. I had tons of grapes as well as some plantain. I'm not working on my fruit intake, just my veggies. I would like more of a balance between the two.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Can I dip them in chocolate? If yes, then I will commit to one serving of fruit and one serving of veg a day.

If no then this is not the thread for me.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Can I dip them in chocolate? If yes, then I will commit to one serving of fruit and one serving of veg a day.

Absolutely. One of my veggies for tomorrow will be carrots roasted in coconut oil, cinnamon, marshmallow extract.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Great idea, I love veggies, but never get enough fruit. I have no taste for sweet things.
  • suejoker
    Options

I believe that chocolate is Mother Nature's way of saying she loves us:) Have you heard of Dole's banana and strawberry dippers? I have an MFP friend that's totally addicted to them and they fit well into her calories.
  • suejoker
    Options
    xgdzly.jpg

This is my latest obsession: beet greens! Before we met, I was struggling to get the RDI of potassium. This was really important to me, since I have high blood pressure. It lessens the effect of sodium and, while you can restrict some of your sodium intake, sodium is in virtually everything! Now that I've met beet greens, getting enough potassium is super easy, even on 1230 calories/day. One cup of beet greens has only 39 calories, yet has 1309mg potassium, 220% RDI of Vitamin A, 60% of RDI of Vitamin C, 16% of RDI of calcium, and 15% of RDI of iron.

Today, I scored BIG at the farmers market. Since I discovered my love of beet greens, my house has gotten pretty full of beets. My youngest son & I like beets, but I only have a 3/4 refrigerator, and I was wondering how I was going to fit more beets in there. So, I asked the lady at the farmers market if she had any beet greens she could sell me separate from the beets. She gave me 2 bunches for free, because some people wanted the beets without the greens! I'm going back there every week:)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I have always loved vegetables, even as a child, and was never fussy, so I suppose I am blessed in that sense.
    I regularly have a Ib+ of vegetables with my dinner.

Tonight, I am having 300g Stringless beans, 5 mushrooms, 1 whole yellow pepper and 100g baby plum tomatoes.
    Not sure how many servings that is.
    Also having an avocado and a large apple.
  • sonnig_tag
    Options
    Good morning, and Happy Mother's day!

Yesterday I had 2 servings of grapefruit, 2 servings of steamed beets, and a serving of steamed kale. So, 5.
    It's tough to get them in when you're out of the habit.

I just had brunch with my daughter and made sure we both ordered a bowl of fresh fruit (~8oz).

I dont know who said it, but if weight loss is your goal raisins are not the best fruit choice. They are extremely high glycemic and will convert to fat. Dried fruit in general is that way. Fresh is best. Think of it like canned veggies (loaded with salt, which leads to water retention). If you must, rinse in cold water before eating.

Have a great day, everyone!
    --Susan
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Pretty poor excuse for fruit and veggie intake this weekend, but I'm not too worried because I think I will do better throughout the week. I like to not have to worry about hunger when I'm working so I plan my meals much more carefully than I do on the weekends.

Onions, plantains, carrots. I think those are the only fruits and veggies I can claim today.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    pan searing beet greens, a little soy, some garlic, and House Tsang sauce......gimme!
  • sonnig_tag
    Options
    Day 2 of the F&V Challenge, and I managed to eat 5 servings again (second day). Tomorrow will shoot for 6. It's tougher than one might think! I am also trying to kick up my water intake, as I have been bloated and dehydrated... Time to let go of all that!