Eating more earlier in the day - Europeans have it right?

Options
2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of debate on that subject...
    This is how I see it...
    Big breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner

Big breakfast to start the day gives you calories that you burn off during the day...if you eat a large dinner you generally don't have enough activity at night to burn it off...

but others say if you eat 1500 calories its 1500 calories regardless of the time of day but I don't agree

Assuming the calories are the same all the research done shows that a person will lose the same amount of weight no matter what their eating pattern. Your body burns calories all the time, and when you eat at a deficit for the day you burn fat, whether you eat one huge meal or 6 small meals, eat big in the morning or eat smaller in the morning. You may disagree all you want, but there have been a good number of studies that keep calories the same with different eating patterns and they all show no statistically significant difference in fat loss.

Where eating patterns make a difference is in terms of compliance to a calorie goal. Some people do well eating a big breakfast and smaller meals following. Others do better eating a small breakfast and a large supper. If it helps you stick to your calorie goal, then do it, but don't think that it is something other than the overall calorie deficit that results in the fat loss.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter, eat whenever you're hungry. Even Europeans vary how they space their meals. In Poland there is breakfast, then big dinner around 1-2 pm, then supper in the evening. In Ireland there is breakfast, lunch and then big dinner around 7-8pm.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe it. When I eat a big breakfast, I'm not as hungry and snack less later in the day.

I absolutely don't believe it because when I have a big breakfast I am hungry and want to eat all day.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    yeah, everyone is different.
    We have had exchange students from Europe and they were surprised how EARLY we ate dinner. The 4 we had over the years said they ate dinner much later than we usually di (6pm) and they also were amazed how early we went out, and got home, on the weekends!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It depends where in Europe too - Mediterranean countries tend to do stuff later, often with a midday 'siesta' during the hottest hours.
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think labelling it as a European thing is way off.
    In Spain it's normal not to have dinner till 9pm. Same in France. In the UK it varies according to work, anything between 5 and 9 pm.
    In Ireland its 5 and 7 more typically.
    In the UK dinner on the table at 6 was in a bygone era of 9-5 working patterns and Wednesday half days coupled with no such thing as 24 he stores and no Sunday trading.... we've moved on a bit from that!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It depends where in Europe too - Mediterranean countries tend to do stuff later, often with a midday 'siesta' during the hottest hours.

Sadly Americans haven't figured out that we should adopt this whole siesta thing.
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    I think labelling it as a European thing is way off.
    In Spain it's normal not to have dinner till 9pm. Same in France. In the UK it varies according to work, anything between 5 and 9 pm.
    In Ireland its 5 and 7 more typically.
    In the UK dinner on the table at 6 was in a bygone era of 9-5 working patterns and Wednesday half days coupled with no such thing as 24 he stores and no Sunday trading.... we've moved on a bit from that!

^^ This. Labelling it as a "European" thing is definitely way off! Europe is made up of 50+ different countries and covers over 3 million square miles. Each of these areas have different cultures and styles of eating and you can't confuse us all as being the same given that we are all so different.

It's a personal preference when you eat and if that works for you - please don't try and name it as a style for a whole continent.
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Nope, *when* you eat does not make a difference and it's purely a personal preference. Calories in < calories out is all that matters.

I have a very "unusual" eating pattern, don't eat anything until late in the day and then keep eating until I go to bed because that is when I get hungry no matter how much (or little) I eat during the day.

<--- I think my profile pic speaks for itself :happy:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So, I went to an event yesterday where I was served a full luncheon, dessert, etc., and at night, I wasn't hungry and just made myself a salad because i wanted something before bed and didn't have too many calories left. For the first time in a month, I saw a loss, down to 118 lbs. I'm afraid to track it for fear it will go away next time I weigh in!

I'm wondering if the Europeans and other cultures actually have it right -- that it's healthier to eat your big meal early in the day. American style, and the style for many posters is to eat light all day and save up for a huge dinner at night. Any thoughts?
    So are you saying there are no Fat Europeans? Err I'd come over here and have a good look because there are
  • zellkas
    zellkas Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree totally, once I start eating for the day I can't stop. If I start at breakfast I am seeking food all day. If i start later I eat less overall in 24 hours but its different for everyone i think.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    OH Noooooo..I've been doing it all wrong !! I always eat my last meal late at night then have a couple of decent snacks up until midnight .... So if I change this will I stop losing weight ! I'm so confused !!! NOT !!!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    no, meal timing is irrelevant, it's ALL calories in/out, in fact most find it easier to eat most of calories later in the day and fast when dieting
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    yeah, everyone is different.
    We have had exchange students from Europe and they were surprised how EARLY we ate dinner. The 4 we had over the years said they ate dinner much later than we usually di (6pm) and they also were amazed how early we went out, and got home, on the weekends!
    We hosted an Austrian student one year and a German the next. They too were surprised with the same as your exchange students. And even more surprised at how much food we ate at every meal including snacks.
  • enoliaa
    enoliaa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Nutrition Science says the source or the timing of the food consumed do not matter when it comes to weight loss...You could eat right before sleeping, if your calories fit in your allowance then you should be fine. Now, for convenience, it is definitely better to eat earlier to give your body time to digest and feel lighter before sleep (7pm - not too heavy meals is best).