Extreme Weight Fluctuation

Options
Now I know that weight fluctuates daily, rising and falling during the hours due to many factors...but this is ridiculous.

I only had 15 lbs to lose when I started MFP, but because of my laziness and hatred towards exercise, I knew that I needed support. And I found it in the wonderful women that I have befriended here. Now I speed walk every night for approx. 40 minutes (which is 270 calories on my treadmill) and I do strength training every day with my Little Black Dress Challenge. I've lost about 8-9 lbs since the beginning.

HOWEVER, despite all of this, I have GAINED back 8 whole pounds in the last week. EIGHT! How is that even humanly possible, when I'm eating under my calories (except for one day every two weeks when my family & I go out for supper), and doing my exercises. I know that muscle weighs more than fat, but I haven't gained that much yet...or at least I don't think I have.

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm ok with hitting a plateau every now and again, since it seems to be the norm, but this is insane and frankly, quite depressing when I was soooo close to my goal and now I am miles away again.

Help!

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same and you aren't gaining muscle.

You could be having higher cortisone levels or it could be close to your time of the month.

Or more likely, those cheat suppers are killing you.
  • sprungerj1
    sprungerj1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It seems the weight just does not want to come off. I beleive it's my age (42) and I have to work twice as hard to loose it. So frustrating. Hopefully someone can help us both. Good Luck.
  • Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought they did. Ok, you learn something new every day.

Still a while away from "that time"...and I've never gained during that time before.

As for the suppers, I don't go overly crazy. I still try to stay good in general...stay away from fried foods, don't overeat, all that. And we're coming up to that night so it's been more than a week since the last one. I would have thought the same thing if not for that.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Still a while away from "that time"...and I've never gained during that time before.

As for the suppers, I don't go overly crazy. I still try to stay good in general...stay away from fried foods, don't overeat, all that. And we're coming up to that night so it's been more than a week since the last one. I would have thought the same thing if not for that.

Its difficult to pinpoint the reason without seeing your diary or how much you actually consume and exercise. I would advise weighing all of your food, etc.

But if you gained 8 lbs in one week (28,000 calories over maintenance) then it is more than likely water retention/cortisol. Wait another week and see what happens
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options

Its difficult to pinpoint the reason without seeing your diary or how much you actually consume and exercise. I would advise weighing all of your food, etc.

But if you gained 8 lbs in one week (28,000 calories over maintenance) then it is more than likely water retention/cortisol. Wait another week and see what happens

Ok, I'll do that! Thanks! :smile:
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same

Muscle and fat do not weigh the same. Muscle is far denser than fat and, consequently, weighs far more by volume.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your sodium intake. I'm sure your dinners out with your family are full of it as all restaurant foods are but if you're continuing the cycle by eating other high sodium foods during the week (and not drinking enough water to compensate), you're not giving your body a chance to release the excess retention.

Re: monthly cycle - sometimes I get the same sort of symptoms during ovulation week so some of the water retention could still be hormone related.

As other said, be patient. And in the meantime, drink a ton of water and get a really good sweaty workout session in. :)

By the way, I feel your pain. Just got back from vacation and although I didn't track, I know I didn't overeat enough to gain 5 or 6 pounds - it's mostly water weight from dining out and travelling. Haven't quite got my eating back on track yet since my schedule is still off but I'm trying to drink a ton of water, getting exercise in and hope that by this time next week my weight will be mostly back down.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    e. Now I speed walk every night for approx. 40 minutes (which is 270 calories on my treadmill) and I do strength training every day

If I speed walk for 45 minutes, 14 to 15 minute miles, I would burn only 210 calories (around 70 calories per mile).
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Your scales need new batteries? Other than that make sure scales are on a level solid floor and try to do your weigh ins at the same time of day.
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options
    Keep an eye on your sodium intake. I'm sure your dinners out with your family are full of it as all restaurant foods are but if you're continuing the cycle by eating other high sodium foods during the week (and not drinking enough water to compensate), you're not giving your body a chance to release the excess retention.

Re: monthly cycle - sometimes I get the same sort of symptoms during ovulation week so some of the water retention could still be hormone related.

As other said, be patient. And in the meantime, drink a ton of water and get a really good sweaty workout session in. :)

By the way, I feel your pain. Just got back from vacation and although I didn't track, I know I didn't overeat enough to gain 5 or 6 pounds - it's mostly water weight from dining out and travelling. Haven't quite got my eating back on track yet since my schedule is still off but I'm trying to drink a ton of water, getting exercise in and hope that by this time next week my weight will be mostly back down.

Thank you for this...this made me feel a lot better. :happy:
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options
    e. Now I speed walk every night for approx. 40 minutes (which is 270 calories on my treadmill) and I do strength training every day

If I speed walk for 45 minutes, 14 to 15 minute miles, I would burn only 210 calories (around 70 calories per mile).

I'm almost at a running pace when I do it and I'm on a slight incline.
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options
    Your scales need new batteries? Other than that make sure scales are on a level solid floor and try to do your weigh ins at the same time of day.

I weigh myself first thing in the morning. Didn't think about the batterie thing...ooooh, if only that was it. I'll check tonight. Thanks.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Muscle and fat do not weigh the same. Muscle is far denser than fat and, consequently, weighs far more by volume.

It's like that old brain teaser...which weighs more a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers...a pound is a pound is a pound...it's how much room they take up.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I burn more on my treadmill if I go a litle slower at a higher incline, so I warm up at 5 and 6, work my way up to 10 and then near the end start going back down to 6 and 5 to cool down, huge burn difference for me. Do you have a heart rate monitor?
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

It's like that old brain teaser...which weighs more a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers...a pound is a pound is a pound...it's how much room they take up.

Exactly correct. And the verbal shorthand that "muscle weighs more than fat" is far more useful than the equally imprecise statement that "muscle and fat weigh the same." The first statement is true when qualified with "by volume." The second statement is only correct when qualified with "when they are the same weight" e.g. each is a sufficient volume to equal one pound.

Understanding weight by volume is useful for understanding body composition and expectations when weighing a human body with a scale, things that are relevant for people trying to change their bodies. Understanding that a pound of any material weighs the same as a pound of any other material is just a logical tautology and not really practical for this discussion.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Running with an incline would certainly make a difference:)
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options
    I burn more on my treadmill if I go a litle slower at a higher incline, so I warm up at 5 and 6, work my way up to 10 and then near the end start going back down to 6 and 5 to cool down, huge burn difference for me. Do you have a heart rate monitor?

I never thought of that. However I would have a difficult time with this, as my incline feature is manual instead of at the push of a button (old treadmill, need to get on that). I don't even know what the level of inclination is as it doesn't say it anywhere.

No, I don't have a heart rate monitor, but would love to get one. Any advice on a good one?
  • Tryxxie2013
    Options

Running with an incline would certainly make a difference:)

*sigh* I know, and I wish I could! However my knee got pretty messed up when I got hit by a drunk driver a few years back and the entire dashboard crushed it. So now, when I run & jog, and even do lunges, I get incredible pain shooting up my leg. Walking doesn't do that, so I try to walk as fast as I can without tripping over my own two feet.
  • SheRock05
    SheRock05 Posts: 82
    Options

Yes, the idea behind this phrase is that one pound of fat takes up much more space under the skin than one pound of muscle. Muscle is denser and takes up less space per pound. So you could be replacing SOME fat with muscle, but you definitely did not gain 8 lbs of muscle in a week. A healthy female with weight to lose can lose in a healthy manner 1-2 pounds per week, but only gains about 0.125 lbs of fat per week. A male can gain muscle faster and will gain about 0.25 lbs of muscle per week.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds last weekend, and they are still not all gone. My measurements didn't increase, my clothes feel the same, and yesterday my boyfriend told me my face looked noticeably thinner.

Point is the scale is one measurement tool, and not always the most accurate.