Can't stand the thought of gaining. Help?

Options
I lost 7 pounds in a few months and became a lot more confident with my body (5'4 120 pounds--> 112) At 112, I developed amenorrhoea and felt tired all the time . My mom thinks it's because I lost too much weight. Now I'm in the process of gaining some weight because my stupid body disagrees with the 7 pound weight loss. Seeing the scale climb makes me want to cry and go crazy every morning. I don't know how to cope with this. Any advice before I go insane?

Replies

• ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale out.

this, but also speak to your mum and a doctor about how you feel.
  • braechel
    braechel Posts: 2
    Options
    You are not the number of your waist line. Take the scale away, and talk to a nutritionist if you'd like. The fact of the matter is, as long as your body is functioning properly and your happy if the way your body looks, then the numbers on that scale don't matter. I hope that helped. :)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    this, but also speak to your mum and a doctor about how you feel.

Please do see a doctor...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    focus on DOING someting rather than a number.

Are you lifting? are you running? training?

if you are lifting- you should see some solid improvement with the addition of food and weight.

and yeah- throw the scale out- for realz.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Losing 7 pounds will not cause such health issues, unless you were already at a very low weight to begin with. You are thin, but the weight and the weight loss you describe do not explain this. It is time to talk to a dr, and if you rule out the obvious (pregnancy) I would suspect some hormonal imbalance, like hypothryroidism, elevated male hormones, PCOS etc.,
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You are not the number of your waist line. Take the scale away, and talk to a nutritionist if you'd like. The fact of the matter is, as long as your body is functioning properly and your happy if the way your body looks, then the numbers on that scale don't matter. I hope that helped. :)

The main point being "as long as your body is functioning properly". Amenorrhoea is a sign that it isn't. Talking to a doctor seems like a very good idea.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Losing 7 pounds will not cause such health issues, unless you were already at a very low weight to begin with. You are thin, but the weight and the weight loss you describe do not explain this. It is time to talk to a dr, and if you rule out the obvious (pregnancy) I would suspect some hormonal imbalance, like hypothryroidism, elevated male hormones, PCOS etc.,

While I don't think it's ever bad advice to speak to a doctor, it's absolutely possible. At 5'4", 112 is starting to get to a pretty low weight. The same exact thing happened to me. I'm 5'5", started at 122, got down to about 111 but once I crossed over around 114 I lost my cycle as well. It wasn't until I put back on some weight but nourishing myself properly that it returned.

OP, I know how you are feeling. I felt the same way at first. But then I really worked on that space between my ears and why I was so caught up in the numbers. It's been a long road and I have put back on every single pound I lost, but I am SO much better off for it. I have lost body fat, gained muscle and a whole new appreciation for what our bodies can do. Are you lifting? Changes can take a bit to see but if you can get on a solid lifting routine, a good "diet" (meaning only the food you consume) that supports your body and just ignore the scale, you will hopefully come to see that your body is awesome! At 120, you were never overweight to begin with so I know it's hard to grasp going back there after losing. But 120 (or whatever number) can look so different depending on what you're doing.
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Hi, Agreed do not worry about the number on the scale. And stay active eat right enjoy life it's too short.... Also look in the mirror instead of the scale how do you look how do you feel. Stay positive... Deuces
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Talk to a therapist, because losing your period is actually one of the clinical criteria for an eating disorder diagnosis.