Good Work out shoes??

Options
I really need a new pair of GOOD and most importantly, affordable work out shoes. I am not a runner but I do cardio at the gym. The shoes I have now are cheap and suck but I really dont want to spend $100 if I dont absolutely need to.. any suggestions??

Replies

• seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump because I need an answer to this too!!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I got my shoes on sale at D!CK's Sporting Goods. They are Puma running shoes. I use them for dance and at the gym and..well walking too lol. I love them.
  • mrsolsonwaters3
    mrsolsonwaters3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just bought new Aasics Exalts yesterday and I took them out running today and I really like them. They are light but supportive, I don't like the feeling that my foot is too able to move around when I am running or I get foot cramps. I do cardio at the gym, mostly elliptical and I like Aasics for this as well.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    In for suggestions as well.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    First time, go get fitted for the "right" shoe for you at a running store that specializes in that. Once you get the right match for you, then on just order online.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    We just got standing desks at work - so I had to get better shoes - bought a pair of Easy Spirit Romy sneakers (Walk-Run) shoes from Amazon - for 30.00. I'm on week 3 and happy with them. Even went for a 1.5 mile hike around my neighborhood the other night, and my feet felt great. Was wearing Reboks before that, and my back was giving me fits.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    First time, go get fitted for the "right" shoe for you at a running store that specializes in that. Once you get the right match for you, then on just order online.

this is a really crappy thing to do. don't go waste someones time at a store if you plan on ordering it online.
  • cengage13
    cengage13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am an avid New Balance consumer. Right now, I have a pair of New Balance 877's. They have Cardio Comfort which is super comfy and helps absorb shock from impact. It's like a really squishy insert already made into the shoe and it has held up for some time now. I don't really do running but do a lot of jumping and plyo type workouts (P90X type stuff) and these shoes work out great. I used to have a lot of problems with achy feet after working out and these shoes really helped me out. Everyone is different so I would suggest maybe going to a store and trying them on and not ordering online unless you know exactly what you want.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try several pairs on at a shoe store -- see what you like -- then buy on amazon!

DO NOT LET THE SHOE STORE MAKE YOU FEEL WIERD!!! I sometimes do buy them there, but I'm not going to pay $20, $30 or $50 bucks more THERE if I can get the exact same thing cheaper!!

I love my Brooke shoes ... they are excellent for running but also for cardio! I don't wear anything else anymore and I use to be an avid Nike and Saucony person.

Good luck!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i used new balance sneakers for a lot and loved them. they have many different styles to accommodate all different skill levels. and very very affordable.
  • lzepeda89
    lzepeda89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I got a good pair of Nike running shoes for $40.00 at DSW. They always have good deals and sales going on, you should check them out.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There are some good quality shoes out there that are also affordable. A cross training shoe might be good and a running shoe might be good too. Even though you don't run the benefits of a running shoe are, they're lighter, more breathable and more cushioned as they are meant to absorb a lot more shock. If you walk on a treadmill I would consider getting a running shoe as they typically will be the best "walking" shoe too.

If you do a variety of activities like weight lifting or aerobic type classes you might be better in a cross training shoe. They have a more stable platform and less risk of a twisted ankle for side to side movements. By comparison a running or walking shoe is designed to keep you going in a straight line.

Another thing to consider is if you have pain in your feet, ankles or knees you might want to go to a running shoe store and get a gait analysis, again you don't have to be a runner. Let them tell you what's best for your feet based on the activities you plan to do in them and take the information and shop around. Definitely try on the $100 shoes too so you know the difference in how they feel and support you.

A few brands that are really good and affordable are New Balance and Asics. I would stay away from Sketchers.

Hope that helps! :happy:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Try several pairs on at a shoe store -- see what you like -- then buy on amazon!

DO NOT LET THE SHOE STORE MAKE YOU FEEL WIERD!!! I sometimes do buy them there, but I'm not going to pay $20, $30 or $50 bucks more THERE if I can get the exact same thing cheaper!!

I love my Brooke shoes ... they are excellent for running but also for cardio! I don't wear anything else anymore and I use to be an avid Nike and Saucony person.

Good luck!!!

Why shouldn't they make you feel weird? You are taking advantage of them. The prices are higher because their costs are higher.

And if you take advantage of a fitting and then leave and buy the same shoe online you should feel positively ashamed of yourself. It's a crummy move, and cap previously said.

If you take advantage of the fitting service, and they find you the perfect shoe, the right thing to do is to at least buy that first pair there. Even if it's at a premium over the online price. That's how you are paying for the service you received, as well as the actual shoe. Thereafter, by all means buy online.

If you don't think there is any value in the service, or the ability to try the shoe on, then by all means stay the heck out of the store. But unless they genuinely fail to find you the appropriate shoe, don't use the service and then not pay for it.
  • chantelrenae
    chantelrenae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For years I only work Nike shoes. Last fall I tried a pair of Asics Gel Exalt and love them. I use them for walking, running, elliptical and biking. They fit much better and provide better support than I ever had in my Nike shoes. These tennis shoes were more expensive than my Nike's ever were but are worth every penny.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get mine from Payless... Just bought the following pairs!
    http://www.payless.com/womens-phive-sport-slip-on/72819.html?dwvar_72819_color=black - bought these for spinning

and: http://www.payless.com/womens-solstyce-sport-runner/73065.html?dwvar_73065_color=grey_blue#start=21 - I've had my first pair of these shoes last for a year, just had to retire them!
    I know online they have their semi-annual sale, and 20% off everything else... but I bought mine during buy one get one half off...
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't they make you feel weird? You are taking advantage of them. The prices are higher because their costs are higher.

And if you take advantage of a fitting and then leave and buy the same shoe online you should feel positively ashamed of yourself. It's a crummy move, and cap previously said.

If you take advantage of the fitting service, and they find you the perfect shoe, the right thing to do is to at least buy that first pair there. Even if it's at a premium over the online price. That's how you are paying for the service you received, as well as the actual shoe. Thereafter, by all means buy online.

If you don't think there is any value in the service, or the ability to try the shoe on, then by all means stay the heck out of the store. But unless they genuinely fail to find you the appropriate shoe, don't use the service and then not pay for it.
    hilarious!:laugh:
  • kneely1786
    kneely1786 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Good luck!!!

Totally Agree

I wear merrell for weightlifting and brooks for cardio which I bought at the running store twice. So, next time I will purchase them online.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Good luck!!!

Having been an employee for many years in those specialty shoe stores I politely disagree. In my experience most of these shoppers will buy anyway even though they planned on getting a better deal on the internet or where ever. I found a lot of times the people that didn't buy shoes from me that day actually came back after trying to find shoes on their own. Also a really good and knowledgeable salesperson is happy to help you anyway. We'd rather you got the correct shoe for your feet whether you bought it from us or not. At least that's my opinion. The best thing to do is go in early in the morning and during the week, not on the weekends when the stores are the busiest though. :happy:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Good luck!!!

Having been an employee for many years in those specialty shoe stores I politely disagree. In my experience most of these shoppers will buy anyway even though they planned on getting a better deal on the internet or where ever. I found a lot of times the people that didn't buy shoes from me that day actually came back after trying to find shoes on their own. Also a really good and knowledgeable salesperson is happy to help you anyway. We'd rather you got the correct shoe for your feet whether you bought it from us or not. At least that's my opinion. The best thing to do is go in early in the morning and during the week, not on the weekends when the stores are the busiest though. :happy:

To continue the theme of polite disagreement - you, as a salesperson, are getting paid whether the customer pays or not.

The business owner, however, has to staff and fund the shop for everyone that comes in requesting service. Now it's a fact of life that you will not be able to find a perfect shoe for every customer, so there will always be some loss of productivity when you fit a customer but cannot find the shoe they need. That's a cost of doing business. But when someone comes in with the express intent of availing themselves of your superior service, but then buying elsewhere at a lower price, that is tantamount to theft.