BF %

Options
2»

Replies

• lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Tracking body fat trends vs determining absolute body fat levels are kind of two different things.

Calipers, tape measures, pictures, Bio Impedence (hand held / feet) are all OK for tracking trends but can be off on your absolute body fat.

Bod Pods and Dexa Scans are two common ways to get a better absolute measurement.

Here's a good write up on using a tape measure to track body fat % trends. http://strengthunbound.com/measure-body-fat-easily-accurately-home/

Here's a good write up on body fat % in general if you are interested. http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod or Dexa scan is the most accurate, but like PP posters have said, using less accurate methods (hand helds, scales) and measuring consistently and seeing a downward trend works too. I have heard that scales that measure body fat via bio-electrical impedance only measure the body fat in your lower half (cannot remember where I read this, I believe on BB.com), as the electrical current only travels up one leg and down the other so it's really only accurate for your lower half. Same theory goes for hand held devices (goes through one arm and out the other). Just something to keep in mind. All methods are guesses, so the important thing is to control variables (hydration, time of day, caliper spots, etc) and watch for a downward trend.

I was never sure if that was right, that the electronic scales measured only through the legs while the handhelds measured only through the arms, but it seemed to make sense, and it always kind of bothered me. Then I found a scale that measures from four points: through your hands and feet. It's more expensive than most scales, but still only about half the price of one of those Fitbit/ Aria scales:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-514C-Composition-Sensing-Monitor/dp/B0020MMCDE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1399657485&sr=8-10&keywords=body+fat+scale

I have this scale. The weight is accurate but the other stuff? Not completely...it gives a slightly different reading, for example, if I use it before or after I pee in the morning. However, I'm using it more for trend watching than pinpoint accuracy, and it hasn't given any crazy readings, so it appears to be at least somewhat close. The other info, like body age and visceral fat, I find interesting as well.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Find a place with an InBody machine...
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    There are hydrostatic body compostion testing mobile units. check with your local crossfit gym. This is THE stndard for BF% testing and only cost 40 -50 dollars to get tested. This is really the only accurate method available

THIS! and Dexa!

Those scales with electronic pulses whatever. SO inaccurate. They can track trends though, so if you just want to know if it is going up or down, fine. But no way is it accurate.

I think calipers can be more accurate than those scales, cost way less, and can also track changes.

But if you want to know what you REALLY are, Dexa or Hydrostatic testing.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    that's a lot of info and a lot of options, thanks everybody!
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for Bod Pod locations. I've used the Bod Pod before at a local university, and judging from the reviews online, it seems to be a very accurate and less expensive alternative to the pricier methods. I've also tried the calipers and BIA scales, but find the Bod Pod to be the most consistent over multiple uses.

Bod Pod is so informative. I found a HIIT center near me that offered it for $25. I got a whole run down of body composition and I think you can ask for BMR TDEE as well. It's a great way to go.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    No scale provides accurate body fat measurement. It's really hard to do correctly.

Might I suggest you don't actually need either? What you want is to measure lots of body parts with a tape measure and look in the mirror. Fat and muscle feel, look, and measure differently. It's pretty obvious what you've got and what direction you're going.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I got calipers on amazon for pretty cheap -- needed them for a personal training class I was taking -- we learned how to use them and do the calculations and had to practice on ourselves and our classmates. I always felt uncomfortable and unsure of if I was doing it right.

I have had a scale that calculates bf for a long time, and used it, knowing it was not perfect.

I also had my bf calculated using the water displacement method, which is one of the more accurate ways to do it. When I came home I used my scale and calculated the difference.

Now, I use my scale every Monday and subtract the difference to get my "real" number. At some point though ($$$), I am going to go back and have the water displacement method done again.

Brag: I have taken my BF from 39.9% to 27.7%!