• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Spray? Pffft. Kick that bear in the nuts
    fighting-bear-o.gif
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would second the bear spray, but the down side to that is the canister size. It's going to be cumbersome for running. If you are thinking of packing heat, my husband suggests a small handgun like the Bodyguard. It's literally the size of his palm and would be light and discreet. Good luck!

Bodyguard is great against hypothetical muggers, but I sure wouldn't want to use a .380 against a mountain lion. Better than a rock though.

You could be right. Luckily, we've never had to use it. We are backpackers and opt for the lightest weight gear when we can. It's certainly better than a rock.. haha.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    ....nm thunder stolen. I second/third/whatever the bear spray.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Where I ran, there were lots of cougars. They were mostly lonely and looking for young male companionship while their husbands were toiling away at the office with younger secretaries. I would never think of harming one.

This cracked me up!

In all honesty, you're not going to be able to do much in terms of personal safety if you continue to run outside in an area that has mountain lions. Even if you carried a pistol with you, odds are you'll not know there is a mountain lion nearby until it is too late. Mountain lions do typically hunt from dusk till dawn, and they're abilities to sneak up on prey is almost unparalleled.

If you insist on running that early get a good sized dog like the Dogo Argentino to run with you, and personally I'd carry a gun, too. (Though you'll likely not to be able to aim worth a darn if you're fatigued by running then suddenly with adrenaline pumping.) A lone mountain lion is not likely to go after two targets at once, but a good loyal dog would give its life to protect yours. Just search "Dogo saves girl from mountain lion" and you'll see why I recommend this specific breed.

In short, I just wouldn't recommend running at that hour when you know that mountain lions are in the area at that specific time. Late morning until early evening would be the safest time to run outdoors if you still choose to do so.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I agree that a gun really isn't practical against an animal attack, whether it be mountain lion, dog .....etc. Too fast and accuracy is paramount. I think about the best you can do is pepper spray of some sort. I would think a tazer would probably not work on a hungry large cat, they would already be very close to use it. Tough situation. Good luck!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    A mountain Lion is a predator attracted by motion. The are stealthy in their attacks. I do not think a gun would help.

Cant you run in town? Highschool track?

There must be somewhere safer.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I'm having a hard time seeing how retrieving a large can of bear spray, making sure it's oriented in the right direction and then spraying it at the attacking cat is going to be any faster than drawing a pistol. It would largely depend on how you carry the spray can, but these usually are pretty sizable containers and they aren't as intuitive to orient/draw as a pistol. This is particularly true if you have some practice/training with your pistol. If you really are worried about attacks and have to run in this area, dog + gun seems like the best answer to me.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If a dog or big cat is your concern then I wouldn't hesitate to conceal and carry. A quick front draw belly band holster is key. Bullets can weigh a lot. Decide on more than just weight and size. Luger and other such models have designs that are smooth and conceal and carry well. If I felt unsafe due to a black bear or dog pack for example, I would use a 9mm though .45 caliber has more impact. Actually a .22 is better than not carrying anything. Spray might work.

I run with an asp. It is a collapsable club that police use. I prefer this over spray since my club never expires or malfunctions. The other factor is that the weapon of choice gives you a feeling of security and confidence. That is worth something even if you never need it.

Guns present a liability. Also, if you wear a gun while running then sweat can affect your gun. Keep is clean, oiled and free of rust. If you decide to actually carry it then you should practice using it often. That means more than firing it. Assemble, disassemble, clear a jam, cleaning, changing magazines, drawing and holstering your gun. Practice aiming, site picture and breathing over and over. The consistent practice will give you confidence, accuracy, safety and ultimately/possibly save your life. I have heard that mountain lions will ambush its prey so drawing on a critter lunging at the back of your head is a challenge. Good luck.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Concealed carry or dog (s).

Ran/rode quiet a bit in rural California- cougar came in at some point and even attacked one of our horses- not sure if the horse did a good job defending- or the 3 airdales but other than that never had issues with them attack us while riding or running.

Be attentive- make sure people know where you are going and when you will be back.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In the stories I've read of mountain lion attacks, the person is unaware of the attack until the cat hits them. I hope you're PMing the ranger.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Where I ran, there were lots of cougars. They were mostly lonely and looking for young male companionship while their husbands were toiling away at the office with younger secretaries. I would never think of harming one.
    I just snorted water all over my desk.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    I run outside at 5:00 in the morning year round. I always carry!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How long are you running? Mountain lion attacks usually happen to campers, hunters, backpackers, etc. because cougars like to stalk their prey (including humans) over a period of time. Days, even.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Always run with a slower and more tasty looking friend?

Seriously though, mountain lions don't mug you. It's not like you're going to get a chance to draw your weapon.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I think the best bet would be one non-lethal deterrent and one lethal one.

Non-lethal:
    I would NOT get bear spray. The best way to get live through an animal encounter is to not have it. So you see a bear or a mountain lion and what? Run up and spray it? A better non-lethal would be an air horn or loud whistle. Scare the animal away and alert others where you are located.

Secondary lethal method:
    A gun (with proper training and CCW), a collapsible baton, or a knife. If you do go with a gun, please, please go to the range monthly and practice. You need to be so well practiced with your preferred holster that drawing it is instinctual. Bullets also travel great distances so you must hit your target.

Does your path go under trees? One of the ambush tactics of mountain lions is to leap down from above. (So a good idea to look up before going under trees.) If a mountain lion does attack, a knife would actually be more likely to save you (because it's already on you).

I walk before dawn and after dark in open space. My biggest concern is coyotes (and maybe a rabid raccoon and fox). I have my CCW and go back and forth on carrying during my walk (I also have an 85 pound bodyguard at my side). A dog is an excellent warning system that something is nearby.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I open carry a 357 Magnum revolver with a 4" barrel when I'm hiking. I've ran with it before too and didn't find it too uncomfortable. I think it's all what you get used to carrying. I think a 357 magnum or 10 mm is the bare minimum for protection though. If you shoot a predatory animal with a .380 caliber, you might scratch his itch but you're not going to stop it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I open carry a 357 Magnum revolver with a 4" barrel when I'm hiking. I've ran with it before too and didn't find it too uncomfortable. I think it's all what you get used to carrying. I think a 357 magnum or 10 mm is the bare minimum for protection though. If you shoot a predatory animal with a .380 caliber, you might scratch his itch but you're not going to stop it.

I only jog in full kit with a 7.62 mm rifle. Everyone else is zombie/bear/mountain lion food . . .
  • mufin71
    mufin71 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When running or walking by myself, I carry a Keltec 380. It's light and can fit in my sports bra with out a problem. You may not kill your target, but hopefully it will be scared away.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I only jog in full kit with a 7.62 mm rifle. Everyone else is zombie/bear/mountain lion food . . .

That must be uncomfortable to job with a rifle, but if that works for you I totally agree, lol. Some hikes I might carry my .308 scout rifle, nice and light and fast handling with the long eye relief scope. Or I might carry my AK47, depends on my mood, lol. :laugh:
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Glock 9x19