Biking

Options
jaxbeck
jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
Anyone biking as their main source of cardio? I just recently took it up and am totally addicted. Finally something I enjoy that seems to be working. I'm still going to invest in some weights for lifting since I don't have my gym membership anymore

Replies

• RT_Challenger
    Options
    I ride anwhere from 100-150 a week, lately it has been my main cardio source. I have ridden three century rides, two fifty milers all endurance rides.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm a triathlete, so i bike about 2-3 times a week. when i started to exercise, it was the only thing i did. i love it, and a great way to travel and enjoy the outdoors.
  • susanevenden
    Options
    I used to run and do marathons, then after 20 years of no cycling, a friend asked me to join her on a 525km bike trip. Since then I have done two more long distant trips and we are supposed to do another this year.

I resumed cycling as my sole exercise the beginning of February. The weather was too cold and snowy to do anything but indoors on my trainer. I love it. I don't watch TV any longer unless I am on the bike. I ride 90-135 minutes a day.

When I'm riding (commuting 45 min to work etc) I find that once it is my lifestyle, I can pretty much eat anything I want.

I don't ride hard, never more than 20km per hour average, but I love the fitness benefit and meditative quality of it. I'm fortunate to live in a very rural area and although there are not a lot of routes for variety, the roads are not so busy that it's stressful riding.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm newer to biking but have signed up for a 200 mile ride in July. I opted to do the 200 miles in 2 days (instead of one day) with the hopes of going 130 miles the first day. I have a long ways to go in a little amount of time but I'm looking forward to it :)
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Not yet but after I am done with my duathlon which is next Sunday I plan on keeping up with the cycling as I am really enjoying it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    <----yes, I cycle

For any of you folks new to cycling, please have a look at this thread :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1273827-national-bike-challenge-2014

We would love to have some new folks join the challenge to help us move up the ranks nationally.
  • RT_Challenger
    Options
    <----yes, I cycle

For any of you folks new to cycling, please have a look at this thread :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1273827-national-bike-challenge-2014

We would love to have some new folks join the challenge to help us move up the ranks nationally.

I am a part of a Texas Team named Expedition Awareness, currently number #1 in Texas.
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Biking is basically the only exercise I do, because it's the only one I actually like. This will be my third season riding. Bought a new bike last year and love it. Signed up for a Century in September and need to get back in shape for that. Just started riding outdoors this past week and love it!

~Chelle
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I am a MTBer but I wouldn't consider it my main form of exercise. I am lifting 4x per week. If I absolutely have to I will get on a road bike just to get the legs turning but I try to avoid that at all cost. I will actually consider running before a roadie ride
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love to bike and am just starting to enjoy the fine weather for it here in Indiana.

I am a triathlon participant, so it's part of my regular training schedule.

My retirement dream: Bike Tour of Europe.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Anyone biking as their main source of cardio? I just recently took it up and am totally addicted. Finally something I enjoy that seems to be working. I'm still going to invest in some weights for lifting since I don't have my gym membership anymore

Yup. I resemble that. It's my main source of cardio, and I guess I am addicted.

Investing in some weights is also great if you can work at least 2-3 days a week (1 lower body, 1 upper body, 1 core) into your routine. No need for a gym membership. Home weights and a bike is all you need. ;-]