Squatting Heavy vs Squatting Deep

Options
i know building muscle generally results from progressive overload but if i squat *kitten* to grass with a lighter weight, lets say 20lbs less than my max, does that help build muscle?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    i know building muscle generally results from progressive overload but if i squat *kitten* to grass with a lighter weight, lets say 20lbs less than my max, does that help build muscle?

You will have more functional strength through a larger range of motion. Are you just looking to bulk or are you training for a sport?

BTW, as a female - carefully watch your positioning when you deep squat - we have extra problems in the knee joints due to the wider pelvis & angles involved.
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You are as strong as your weakest link in your muscles being used. You have to use lighter weight squatting that deep because you're weakest in the hole (at that depth), which is very common. Build muscle? You will build it anyway, regardless if you squat ATG 20lbs lighter because that's all you can muster at that depth, of squat 20lbs heavier at parallel.

Hope this helps answer your question.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You will lose benefits by not squatting deep. It puts more stress on your knees to squat shallow. At least that's what the book (Starting Strength ) advises.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why can't we do both?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Your ATG 1RM is usually around 75% or so of your parallel 1RM and does not activate your quads any greater iirc, but does activate your glutes more.

I say why not do both?
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your ATG 1RM is usually around 75% or so of your parallel 1RM and does not activate your quads any greater iirc, but does activate your glutes more.

I say why not do both?

i actually have been doing both lately!

ill do like 3-4 set at my max and the last set ill drop down 20lbs and go deep, 12 reps

am i incorporating it in right? or do yall think i should squat heavy one day and squat deep another
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
    Options

You will have more functional strength through a larger range of motion. Are you just looking to bulk or are you training for a sport?

BTW, as a female - carefully watch your positioning when you deep squat - we have extra problems in the knee joints due to the wider pelvis & angles involved.

looking to just bulk
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere, can't remember now...
    But a form of static training....where you load on the weight....
    But only go until you feel stress....and then hold for like 7 seconds.

So like on squat.....load up the weight, and then drop a few inches....don't go all the way......and hold it.

Sounds interesting, but have not tried doing something like that.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    going below parallel engages your glutes much more then not doing so.

I think a good answer to your question might be that the heavier weight shallow squats would be better at building the quads

and the deeper squats will be better at building your butt.

btw, your perfect already
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    You will lose benefits by not squatting deep. It puts more stress on your knees to squat shallow. At least that's what the book (Starting Strength ) advises.

i did read that once your below parralell that much of the stress comes off your knees and onto your hips. which makes sense based on feel

you still go through that upper part of the exercise that stress the knee joint more though. but i suppose the higher weight that you are compelled to use would put more stress on the knees
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I say why not do both?

i actually have been doing both lately!

ill do like 3-4 set at my max and the last set ill drop down 20lbs and go deep, 12 reps

am i incorporating it in right? or do yall think i should squat heavy one day and squat deep another

I believe that you are already incorporating deep squats properly into leg training. Parallel squats to focus on the quads and some deep squats to really incorporate the gluteus maximus.
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Tom Platz and Dave Draper were both known for doing deep squats with heavy weights. Tom had enormous quads!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Brosciencin' it up! Whoo hooo!

Y'all are really overcomplicating this. You probably won't see any physical differences in the mirror from squatting one style or the other. As long as you are breaking parallel, using good form and adding weight to the bar you are making progress. Turn your brain off and lift!