Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Heavy lifting ladies, a moment please?

2»

Replies

• bleweydgrl
    bleweydgrl Posts: 55
    Wow, Sarah, your trainer sounds like a diamond!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Wow, Sarah, your trainer sounds like a diamond!

I have been extremely blessed in the trainer department. That's my current trainer, Noah, in my profile pic. He is so sweet and knowledgable. We have a pretty close bond, and I swear sometimes he knows exactly what is in my head even when I can't find the words
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    I would not expect you to feel sick - it depends what are you are doing - the one exercise that get me close to puking is sprints - but thats luring everything I have into 2 mins with a 1 min break repeat until dead kind of effort - if I have any food in my stomach it`s over - that is because the body is using all it`s resources to keep me working and can not devote anything to digestion so it gets rid of the stomach contents -nothing to do with fitness levels - you should discuss this with your trainer however

as to how often to work out - I work with my trainer twice a week for 1 hour sessions on lifting when I`m just generally working out - 3 times a week when I was marathon training and right now I`m training for a lifting event so twice a week with my training and twice a week with a coach - it really is down to whatever fits your lifestyle and goals
  • bleweydgrl
    Ya know, this sprints thing has come up a couple of times now and my trainer does get me doing sprints and then lifting weights or carrying weights and moving them or throwing them while sprinting....could have something there too.
  • spicegeek
    Sounds like you have a trainer that is making the best use of 30 mins !
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    A few sessions with an experienced trainer are worth it in order to learn dos and don'ts, how to properly use equipment, and how to plan a routine. After that, you should be just fine on your own.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    I think I get now that I need to do some more research on it to know exactly where I want to end up and do some more reading on womens lifting.

This isn't really a "thing". A woman doing a deadlift or a push press (etc) should be the same thing as a man doing it.
  • spicegeek
    I took your statement that your trainer has only sporadically trainer women as more of a passing comment that most women do not want to lift rather than some statement that he didn`t know what to do with you ! My trainer generally does not work with women because they usually do not want to work on the basic power lifts ( squats, dead lifts, bench press ) and heavy kettle bell lifts and that is what he prefers - He is a position that he does not need to take any and every client that wanders across his path - He only trains one other female. He trains me the exact same way he trains his guys - I can can out lift some of them.

From what you have described your trainer has given you a program that starts you working on strength / resistance and includes HIIT - this would seem reasonable if you told him you have a goal to loose weight and you were new to lifting - it is unlikely anyone is going to put you under a barbell until they are sure you can manage a body weight squat with good form. The bar alone weight 45 lb - this is more that many people can bench press or squat when they first start
  • bleweydgrl
    Thank you, that has been really helpful :)