Why have I stopped losing weight all of a sudden?

Options
I lost 9lbs in less than a week, I realize it's mostly water weight. However, I've been doing the exact same thing as before, and I've gained a pound since then. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've been weighing all my food and even overestimating my calories.

Is there anything I can do to help this plateau go away? My diary is open.

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I lost 9lbs in less than a week, I realize it's mostly water weight. However, I've been doing the exact same thing as before, and I've gained a pound since then. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've been weighing all my food and even overestimating my calories.

Is there anything I can do to help this plateau go away? My diary is open.

How long has this "plateau" been going on? If its less than 3 months it could be that you just haven't waited long enough to see a change and that you are doing fine.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

Weight loss isn't linear. I've had weeks where I lost 5, others where I gained 3. I eat at a deficit every week, and I average 1-1.5 pounds per week, going back over 6 months.
  • LauraPH7
    LauraPH7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a plateau solely because it's only been a week, and I realize weightloss slows down after a few weeks but it's only been about 10 days. I've been eating 1200 calories and only once did I go up to 1800 net.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a plateau solely because it's only been a week, and I realize weightloss slows down after a few weeks but it's only been about 10 days. I've been eating 1200 calories and only once did I go up to 1800 net.

My weight loss was linear when looked at on the scale of quarters (3 month blocks of time) but if you looked at any given month it was all over the place not to mention a one week period. Can click my profile for pictures of the weight loss graphs.

You cannot expect your weight to go down consistently over the period of just a week, it won't. Changes in water retention, glycogen levels, your monthly cycle if you are female all contribute to mask underlying fat loss.

Bottom line you have to wait longer than 10 days to judge whether or not your fat loss has stopped.
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You are fine. Keep weighing your food, eat at a deficit, and get in some exercise. Bodies are weird. I can do excellent with what I'm eating etc and I'll have a gain one week, and a loss the next.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Weight loss isn't linear. I've had weeks where I lost 5, others where I gained 3. I eat at a deficit every week, and I average 1-1.5 pounds per week, going back over 6 months.

Totally this.

For my first 70 lb lost on MFP it was at the rate of 1.6 lb/week and the last 6 lb has been at 1.2 lb/week averaged out...but there have been periods of a couple weeks when I did not lose at all.