Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein....bane of my existance

Does anybody else get UUUUUUUBER hungry after eating protein? Everyone always says if you feel hungry you should up the protein and that should ''fill you up''. I find the opposite to be true. If I have a schwack-load of protein I end up at the point where I could gnaw my own arm off, I'm so hungry. Carbs, on the other hand, keep me feeling fine for hours. Am I the only weirdo?

Replies

• dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Protein on its own doesnt keep me full - protein combined with a fat source does though. I tend to only eat a heavy carb meal before a trip to the gym so do usually get hungry quickly but it's not an even comparison.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Yeah, I never get hungry after carbs. But I notice that whenever I have these protein bars (32 grams protein, usually 8 or 9 grams of fat depending on which one I have) I am abso-friggin'-lutely ravenous for the rest of the day. So I guess I won't be getting those again.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

You need the fat. Too high a protein diet can cause this. You are probably eating far too few fats.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Does anybody else get UUUUUUUBER hungry after eating protein? Everyone always says if you feel hungry you should up the protein and that should ''fill you up''. I find the opposite to be true. If I have a schwack-load of protein I end up at the point where I could gnaw my own arm off, I'm so hungry. Carbs, on the other hand, keep me feeling fine for hours. Am I the only weirdo?
    Satiety is highly personal. Different people feel full on different foods.
  • gclauson
    gclauson Posts: 26 Member
    Put Mayo on it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I find a healthy balance works best for me. If I have something like fish and veggies alone, I will feel hungry, but if I have fish, veggies and a sweet potato with a little butter or avocado, I will feel full. As to those protein bars, most protein bars are full of a load of crap and are basically little different to candy bars, extra protein aside. Better to get protein from food.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member

is Uber hungry mean hungry for ubers? ;) tee hee
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'm the same. Fats/carbs are best for satiety to me. Try fattier protein sources-- that seems to help.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    As has already been said, are you getting a good amount of fat?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Put Mayo on it.

Always a solid suggestion.

I find that I need fat to feel full, whether it is carbs and fat or protein and fat.
  • gclauson
    gclauson Posts: 26 Member
    Put Mayo on it.

I find that I need fat to feel full, whether it is carbs and fat or protein and fat.
    I should say "LITE" Mayo ;)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Put Mayo on it.

I should say "LITE" Mayo ;)

Blasphemy!
  • meganjcallaghan
    I suppose ''enough'' fat would depend on what you'd consider enough....based on the look of my bar graph on the reports I'm getting an average of 50 grams a day. Some days as low as 30 and some I get upwards of 80 - 90 depending on my activity level.
  • There are certain protein bars that I chose not to buy again because they make me ridiculously hungry. I assume it is something to do with the sugar alcohols or sugar in the bars, because I don't have the same problem with meat/eggs/dairy.
  • meganjcallaghan
    There are certain protein bars that I chose not to buy again because they make me ridiculously hungry. I assume it is something to do with the sugar alcohols or sugar in the bars, because I don't have the same problem with meat/eggs/dairy.

Maybe that's it. I am insulin resistant so I get these bars that have only 1 gram of sugar, so they're probably sweetened with some other thing. Perhaps whatever they put in it instead is the issue.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Aim for a minimum of .35 grams of fat per pound of weight.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Aim for a minimum of .35 grams of fat per pound of weight.

So I'm not too far off then. that would be 51 grams.... that's about my average