Weighing oneself; how often?

Options
I have been weighing myself daily to keep an eye on how I'm doing and recording my weight weekly, but I'm wondering what other people do. The disadvantage I can see with the daily weighing-in is that I sometimes get discouraged with what I know are uncontrollable fluctuations. Does anyone have a system that seems to work well?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing myself daily to keep an eye on how I'm doing and recording my weight weekly, but I'm wondering what other people do. The disadvantage I can see with the daily weighing-in is that I sometimes get discouraged with what I know are uncontrollable fluctuations. Does anyone have a system that seems to work well?

I weigh daily for the datapoint and don't let the value discourage or encourage me. I look at the trend overtime only when I want to evaluate my progress but to get an accurate trend I like to have that data on hand.
  • TheRealKingTony
    TheRealKingTony Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I generally only weigh myself if I poop in the morning, lol
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I wake up. The kicker is that I don't let one or two pounds sway my mood or how I feel about my diet. If you can't deal with fluctuations (not a bad thing, many can't) possibly try once a week. If possible try to be consistent about the time you weigh. I'm usually about 2-3lbs heavier after dinner than I would be after waking up in the morning.
  • firestation12
    Options
    Once a week on Saturday morning. If I lost weight during the week it will encourage me not to eat to much over the weekend. If I lost little it will also encourage me not to eat to much over the weekend. Works for me.
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Friday mornings! Once per week seems to be the best way to go about it IMO.
  • craft4fun
    craft4fun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning.
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I mostly weigh once a week. Every Sunday morning as soon as I get up.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh daily first thing in the morning. Aria scale logs it for me in both FitBit and MFP. Don't sweat the fluctuations, its normal. What I do like to do is look at the patterns in weight and the food or exercise that went with it. There are some really cool graphs and charts on MFP when you select a weekly view. I can almost tell you the day before if I am going to lose weight tomorrow. I don't obsess about it, I just find it entertaining.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weighed on July 1, 2013.... then not again until November 23(or there abouts) for a pre op physical.... haven't weighed since then... may do so on July 1, 2014 -- not sure yet... Why???

Because I got frustrated with seeing the daily fluctuations as well...back on July 1, 2013 I decided to give it a month before I weigh... that month came and went.... my clothes were feeling considerably looser and figured this was much better than a number on the scale.... The November weigh-in was for a pre op physical to fix a broken wrist. Even then, I stepped on the scale with my eyes closed and told the nurse that I didn't want to know what I weighed. She complied and didn't tell me. It was when I was in recovery after surgery when I decided to ask what my weight was... omg... imagine my surprise when I realized I was down 52 pounds at that point... I can honestly say that would NEVER have happened had I been weighing every day as I was in the past, because I would have grown frustrated with the fluctuations. So... it's been 5+ months since that November weigh-in.... not sure what the number on the scale says, but the size number in my jeans is a 6.... don't need to know any more at this point.... my clothes speak for themselves...
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    once a week
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I last weighed myself sometime last fall, don't recall what month.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Every Friday morning.
  • briggitte59
    briggitte59 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I generally only weigh myself if I poop in the morning, lol

HAHHAHA too funny :laugh:
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    never daily!! i do it once a week, especially if im changing up my meals to make sure i am doing better not worse.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Daily, first thing in the morning! I like to be able to track the patterns of how my body manages things like hormonal fluctuations and sodium intake. I'm a control freak and I like to have a good idea of where I am at on a daily basis. :smile:
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options

I weigh daily for the datapoint and don't let the value discourage or encourage me. I look at the trend overtime only when I want to evaluate my progress but to get an accurate trend I like to have that data on hand.
    ^ This. I am a data junkie.
  • Insomniac8
    Insomniac8 Posts: 182
    Options
    2/3 times a day. I'm obsessed LOL!
  • HappyLilThang
    HappyLilThang Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weight myself weekly using the scale at my grocery store. I decided to get rid of my home scale last year as I had a tendency to become obsessive about it. I would end up weighing myself numerous times a day and would also get discouraged by fluctuations. My problem in the past has been giving up my efforts as soon as I felt I wasnt losing weight quickly enough or when I felt I had `ruined everything` after a bad day. My goal this time around will be to not punish myself when I have bad days and stay focused on my goal and continue on.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Every morning. That way I have lots of data in MFP, and I can see the trend, instead of having an off-day once a week and thinking I made no progress... this way I can see daily flucuations which is kind of cool to me. I stand on the scale praying for it to say less than last time, if it does, I'm really happy, if it doesn't, I look forward to the next day!
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If I'm at home, I weight myself 6 or 7 times a day. Basically, every time I go to the bathroom. The movement in weight/BF is interesting and quite predictable based on what I've done. One way or the other, it's just data.