Why are flaked almonds so unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good for squirrels, people with low calorie budgets not so much. That high protein to fat ratio isn't going to be found in anything that gets mashed up and turned into "butter" - fat isn't evil, but if you've got numbers to hit you've got numbers to hit and if you're taking in fat at the expense of protein some nuts might not be the answer. Beans are low fat, most poultry and fish is low fat... even some cheeses (shredded Velveeta, to my surprise this includes you) are going to be mostly protein. This isn't the end of the list but it's a start.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of flaked almonds on my porridge this morning.
    :heart: Showing some love for the flaked almonds. We're not all judging you for your calorie and fat count. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I was convinced by the title that flaked almonds were somehow different than almonds. I was duped!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What the hell is a drupe???
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Please send me your flaked almonds!:happy:
  • leigh33ca
    leigh33ca Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds as a snack as well. One natural raw almond has 8 calories.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Something Jakey about bad almonds and flaky; put down the computer and make some eggs and bakey. This thread message brought to you by Dr Seuss's estranged American adult male.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I was convinced by the title that flaked almonds were somehow different than almonds. I was duped!
    Don't you mean you were druped?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Not unhealthy.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Don't you mean you were druped?

good one :laugh:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I love Almonds and my doctor says there are some health benefits. I eat ten of them every day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you're accompanying your almonds with a candy bar like Almond Joy, but uh no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you're accompanying your almonds with a candy bar like Almond Joy, but uh no.

Great. You had to mention Almond Joy. Thanks for that, LOL.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    There are different types of fat. Some fats like fish (prescribed often to lower cholesterol levels) and nuts are healthy fats and SHOULD be in our diets regularly. All nuts are high in calories so moderation is key as with all things. The only thing I can think of that one could eat quite a bit of without worrying about high calories is vegetables such as celery and carrot slices. Moderation always comes into play.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    For me it is because they are high in salicylate which had me virtually bed bound or not far off with pain and other issues. I realise this is not a problem for many but I would be surprised if I am the only one on here.

All the very best
  • Bridget65202
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drupe

In botany, a drupe is an indehiscent fruit in which an outer fleshy part (exocarp, or skin; and mesocarp, or flesh) surrounds a shell (the pit, stone, or pyrene) of hardened endocarp with a seed (kernel) inside... the definitive characteristic of a drupe is that the hard, lignified stone (or pit) is derived from the ovary wall of the flower.

Other fleshy fruits may have a stony enclosure that comes from the seed coat surrounding the seed, but such fruits are not drupes.
    Some flowering plants that produce drupes are coffee, jujube, mango, olive, most palms (including date, coconut and oil palms), pistachio, white sapote, and all members of the genus Prunus, including the almond (in which the mesocarp is somewhat leathery), apricot, cherry, damson, nectarine, peach, and plum.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Flaked?

I eat almonds as a snack. They are less calories than 2 tbsp. of peanut butter..which has sugar and fat added to it usually. I usually take about 25 almonds and snack on them slowly and they register with my brain. You might do better with sunflower seeds or pistachios in the shells.

I think OP is referring to sliced almonds. I have a giant bag of them that I use on salads, bake onto fish, etc... They're super tasty!
  • DavPul
    Options
    I love Almonds and my doctor says there are some health benefits. I eat ten of them every day.

10 Almonds??? Why do much cardio?
  • DavPul
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drupe

In botany, a drupe is an indehiscent fruit in which an outer fleshy part (exocarp, or skin; and mesocarp, or flesh) surrounds a shell (the pit, stone, or pyrene) of hardened endocarp with a seed (kernel) inside... the definitive characteristic of a drupe is that the hard, lignified stone (or pit) is derived from the ovary wall of the flower.

Other fleshy fruits may have a stony enclosure that comes from the seed coat surrounding the seed, but such fruits are not drupes.
    Some flowering plants that produce drupes are coffee, jujube, mango, olive, most palms (including date, coconut and oil palms), pistachio, white sapote, and all members of the genus Prunus, including the almond (in which the mesocarp is somewhat leathery), apricot, cherry, damson, nectarine, peach, and plum.

What the hell is indehiscent???
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And they're sooooo filling, amirite?