Polar HRM electrical interference...

Options
Used my new Polar FT40 at the gym for the first time tonight. Two odd / annoying things happened.

1.) I like to listen to music when I exercise. I use my iPhone and plug my headphones in. If the iPhone got too close to the transmitter (within a foot), it would lose my heart rate.. annoying.. The manual does say "strong electromagnetic signals can cause erratic readings... to avoid erratic readings, move away from possible sources of disturbance" (one of which is cellular phones). Would I be fine if I used my iPod shuffle then, since it has no cellular phone waves?

2.) This I just thought was strange... the elliptical and the bike I went on both have heart rate sensors that you grasp with your hands and it gives you a reading (but will only give you a reading when you are holding the sensors), and when I was wearing my HRM tonight, the machine would say my HR!!! even though I never even TOUCHED the sensors on the machines! This happened with both the elliptical AND the bike.. I thought this was quite strange (although also convenient, I didn't have to look down at my watch - by the way, they had the exact same readings) - so I guess the machine can pick up my HRM (or was it the other way around?!) - is this bad for the HRM??? Seems like a lot of electrical interference going on.

The manual says "Exercise equipment with electronic compounds may cause interfering stray signals" and then it offers ways to tackle these problems, like "removing the transmitter and use the exercise equipment as you would normally" or "move the wrist unit around until you find an area in which it displays no stray readings."

However, I don't think this really qualifies as a "stray signal" since the interference is that the machine is picking up on the HRM transmitter's readings and displaying it on the machine itself. Seems strange - just don't want to wear down my HRM or anything bad...

Please, please let me know if you have an answer to either of these questions, I really appreciate it!! This is my first HRM and I've read through the manual many times now trying to figure these questions out!

Thanks,
Molly

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    something to watch for, some machines are compatible with polar and will try to send their heartrate to your watch.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The machines in my gym are Polar compatible and they pick up my heart rate from the chest strap. I don't think it'll damage it. I also use my iPod shuffle when running so I've never had any disturbance from using the HRM with it. The only thing I encounter is sometimes I have to smack my watch a few times because it loses the signal. No idea why, or what happens, but a few "love taps" and it's picking it up again. I look like an idiot running tho and smacking my watch while doing it.. haha.
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    i have to agree with the panel the Polar devices are compatible with most fitness facility equipment especially LifeFitness machines. As for the iPhone, I hadn't experience that with my HRM I wear my phone in it's case on my waist as I cycle, or get on the elliptical. Maybe try changing the placement of the phone, but if you have your Shuffle yeah go on & use that too
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I've been using my F4 at the gym with the machines twice a week for at least 20 months. The equipment picks up my HR from the strap too even though the equipment is not "polar compatible" and I have not any any issues with it damaging the watch. It is a very useful side effect, though I do find the machine is often reading a slightly lower HR than the watch.
    The only thing I encounter is sometimes I have to smack my watch a few times because it loses the signal. No idea why, or what happens, but a few "love taps" and it's picking it up again. I look like an idiot running tho and smacking my watch while doing it.. haha.

It could be the iPod interfering with the watch but it could also be that the strap is not picking up your HR properly. I have this problem occasionally with certain sports bras. You could try using an electrode gel on the strap and see if that solves the problem.
  • FairyGodMother
    FairyGodMother Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to work for Polar HRMs in NY about 10 years ago. I can't answer your iPod question but I can tell you about the cardio machines.
    Polar made agreements with many cardio machine manufacturers years ago when they were the only HRMs in the world. A lot of companies keep the "Polar Coded" components in their machines even if the contract with Polar has expired. It's a handy feature and keeps you from looking at your watch with it's small reading.
    If the machine has a grip reading, but you have an HRM - don't bother with the grip reading. I don't bother with it anyway because it may be wrong. The pulse reading is just that - a reading of your pulse. If you have your transmitter strap on - that is a direct reading of Your Heart Beats, picking up the electricity inside your body. That is why the strap has to be damp because the water conducts the electricity in your body.
    The pulse reading can be in correct, you can have a different pulse on your left side from your right side, that is why it is best to get the reading from your heart with the transmitter strap on.
    I wear mine because I like to see how my recovery/fitness is improving and I love seeing how many calories I've burned. It's a great motivator.

I hope this info helps clear up some confusion and answer your question.

Best of luck in your fitness quest.