Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the Full Metal Jacket reference BTW. 'disgusting fat body' ah yes
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Hey bud, welcome to MFP! Glad to see another big man trying to get fit. :smile:

First things first, you're lifting too often. Try to limit the lifting to 4x per week. Your body develops during rest, not during workouts.

Since you're a big guy, the best thing (other than a calorie deficit) that you can do is to just get your body moving. So walking an hour or so a few times per week is perfect as you begin to develop your cardiovascular system.

Here is the tl;dr version:

1. Calculate a calorie deficit.
    2. Weigh your food on a food scale and log it as accurately as possible.
    3. Strength train.
    4. Get moving.
    5. Get plenty of rest. Including sleep.
    6. BE CONSISTENT
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I should buy a food scale... Although I still don't understand how much weight I can eat each day? Assuming I have a 3100 calorie daily limit, wouldn't that be close to a pound of food? But, don't some foods weigh more than others and are deceptively lower in calories and vise versa?

You are thinking of weighing your food incorrectly. You're not shooting for a daily food weight, but rather measuring your food in grams to ensure you're eating the proper number of calories.

Take a box of dry pasta for instance. A serving is usually around 1/3 of a cup and then it will give a gram measurement (28g) next to it. Well, using a measuring cup is very inaccurate. So if you weigh the dry pasta, you can ensure you're eating exactly what the nutrition label says you're eating in terms of calories.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I'd lift heavier weight for less reps, less often. Standard advice is usually 8-12 reps per set & 3-5 sets per movement. I also wouldn't do isolation movements like bicep curls. I would focus on heavy compound exercises (squat, deadlift, row, overhead press, bench press, dip, etc...) that engage more muscle groups.