amenorrhea

Options
bc2ct
bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
I posted this as a comment but I didn't want it to get lost in the MFP equivalent of user-sub. Lots of misinformation about what causes menstrual disorders in active women so I thought you all might find this interesting and informative.

http://www.acsm.org/docs/current-comments/menstrualcycledysfunction.pdf?sfvrsn=4

In particular --
Higher intensity exercise and increased frequency of training are associated with a greater
incidence of menstrual disorders, but there is no scientific evidence for a direct cause and
effect. Metabolic alterations and change in the body composition such as weight loss and
decreased percent body fat are coincidental rather than causative. A positive energy
balance (consuming enough calories for the amount of exercise performed) seems to be
critical for maintaining ovulatory cycles. Nutritional deprivation may also result in deficits of
calcium, iron and other important nutrients. Women with amenorrhea should consume the
equivalent of 1500 mg of elemental calcium daily to protect their bone density.

Psychological and emotional factors, as well as stress, play a role as well in the
development of menstrual cycle disorders. In some sports, the tendency of coaches,
parents, and judges to focus on body composition and percent body fat create an unhealthy
preoccupation with body image.