is 135 too thin?

Options
this is the goal weight i would like to achieve. at 5'7" with a smaller bone structure i would be a nice size 6. the smallest i have been is 122lbs. size 2/3. i did look a bit thin at this weight. i ask because i had some friends poo poo my goal weight saying it is too thin. 135 falls right in the middle for my height on the bmi chart. i know it is only a rough guideline to follow. my sister is my height and 110. i have no interest to be that thin.

Replies

• brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7' and my goal is 125. It's not too thin if you have a small/narrow build. I am 132ish right now and I'm definitely not underweight. Some people would look too skinny at that weight, but it's all about your build. If you have a more athletic body type, or are more curvy, the weight is going to be distributed differently- so everyone is different.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    135 is doable for 5'7", but just take your time. You may find that you're happier somewhere else. Set a final goal when you're closer to it.

Good luck!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My BMI is right down the middle of the chart. It's a decent goal to aim for. You may change your mind later. Remember however, muscle weighs more and looks better than being skinny. The best bodies on here all work with weights. Good luck!
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and my goal is also 135 because it's in the middle of the chart, my mother-in-law was horrified when I told her that was my goal and insisted that it will be way too thin for me, I figured once I get near there I will decide if I'm happy.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and am currently 121 pounds in my pic.

Human biology is a funny thing.

Not everyone at 5'7 looks the same with the same weight - it is a really subjective thing. I am really light/small boned/framed and my doctor is very happy with my weight to stay in a range of 53-57kg (116-125 pounds). I find 125 looks a little heavy on me. But 125 on someone else can look too skinny. If I said my goal was 116-120 without people seeing me in real life at that wieght range there would be posts on here telling me to go eat a bacon burger with extra cheese..having vapour attacks and possibly hyperventilating...

So...it depends... see how you look when you get closer and try not to tell people your goal weight as only you know what looks best on you. Numbers are just numbers and people will measure that weight on what it will look like on them.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Get your body fat tested and set a body fat goal. 135 could be anything, depending on your body composition. It's too thin for me at 5'5' since I have 126 pounds of lean mass. If I were to hit the middle of the BMI chart for my height without losing muscle, I would be dead.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My 18 yr old is 5'7, very petite and weighs 110-112.

She is healthy, doesn't watch her weight or what she eats, and just a petite young lady.
  • maine_coon
    maine_coon Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm also 5'7". I used to be a figure skater and I also took ballet for years so my standard may be a bit different. But I was 122 lb. and I'm going for 112 lb., which I think look best for me. I like looking like a model and I always was until I had a baby. Nobody thought I was too thin. People just thought it's genetic. Of course they don't know I've been counting calories since I was 12.
    If you stay thin, people just assume its just what you are. Your friend must be worrying about you, but I would say just go for it if that makes you happy.
  • Vermilliana
    Vermilliana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You really have to take the BMI chart with a Huge grain of salt. I'm 5 feet, and at 145 the BMI chart labels me as obese. I am FAR from obese. I have a muscular build, which I've worked hard to cultivate, and therefore I weigh more. According to the chart I should weigh 108 lbs, which would make me totally skeletal and probably quite unhealthy. Judge by your health, your body type and keep your food/fitness goals healthy. If you're gaining, pick up the weights, they add density to your muscles (as well as bone density) while adding sexy definition and helps the body metabolize everything better..which is win-win all around!
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You really have to take the BMI chart with a Huge grain of salt. I'm 5 feet, and at 145 the BMI chart labels me as obese. I am FAR from obese. I have a muscular build, which I've worked hard to cultivate, and therefore I weigh more. According to the chart I should weigh 108 lbs, which would make me totally skeletal and probably quite unhealthy. Judge by your health, your body type and keep your food/fitness goals healthy. If you're gaining, pick up the weights, they add density to your muscles (as well as bone density) while adding sexy definition and helps the body metabolize everything better..which is win-win all around!
    i am def not muscular or even really curvy. i do have large boobs that do not disappear even at my lowest adult weight. i do not follow a BMI chart religiously but i do feel it gives a good general guideline of weight for those with an average build and muscle tone. picking up weights is not an option for me as i hate that type of workout. i do enjoy walks,hiking,yardwork and swimming. i am ok with not having a gym workout body too. i will be happy with looking good in my clothes and feeling healthy.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Try not to get too hung up on a number on the scale. 135 with lots of weight training will look very, very different than 135 with only lots of cardio or calorie cutting. You might find that you're happier at an even higher weight with more muscle.
  • Polishprinsezz
    Options
    Try not to get too hung up on a number on the scale. 135 with lots of weight training will look very, very different than 135 with only lots of cardio or calorie cutting. You might find that you're happier at an even higher weight with more muscle.
    weight training is not for me as it sounds like punishment for becoming out of shape in the first place. not to mention to fun at all. no desire for that route. i prefer cardio and all around being more active. my goal is a size 6. i believe i will achieve that at 135 without weight training. my friend who told me 135 would be way too thin for me is 5'8" and 185. she is a little thick looking and says she wants to lose 20lbs. for me at 165 i feel a little too fluffy still.
  • Polishprinsezz
    Options
    i will probably never be very muscular. i am ok with that too.