Increase Caloric intake or Not?

Options
I've been dieting since January; I'm down 20 pounds and I'm around 10 pounds from my goal. Last month my weight loss started to slow down. So, I scheduled a free nutritional consultation with one of the trainers at my gym. During this consultation, the trainer tested my body composition using an electrode device attached to my foot and hand and charted the information into a system called HMS 1000. After reviewing it, he explained that he thought I wasn't eating enough. I'm currently on a 1200 caloric diet. I exercise 6 to 7 days a week, but some of those days are light with only 30 minutes of walking. Other days are taking Taekwondo lessons, core gym classes, elliptical, treadmill, yoga or Zumba. I mix things up! I'm wondering what you folks think and if he's right. Two days after I started to increase my calories I immediately gained weight. I was told this would happen and that it would be water. Why I can't recall. However, it's scary to see the scale move in the wrong direction and I have no idea if what I'm told is correct. I want to do this the healthy way. So, should I increase my caloric intake? PS: I know I have more work ahead, so I'm hoping all will be kind.
My stats:
I'm 52 years old, 5'1" and currently weigh 133.6 (my goal is 125)
My Body Mass Index was 25.24 (Almost there!)
My Basal Metabolic Rate was calculated at 1,428
My weight of lean body mass is 94 lbs.
Percentage of Lean Body Mass 70.7%
Total Body Water was 30.69 liters
Lean body mass to Rat Ratio: 2:42:1 (goal is 3:1)
Body Fat (29%)
Per my Fitbit, my average (30 day) caloric expenditure is at 2,109
Per my Fitbit, my average (30 day) exercise expenditure is at 397
So, should I be eating more or not?
Thanks,
Linda

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    quick answer yes you should...with 10lbs to go you should be aiming for 1/2lb a week weight loss.

I would up my calories slowly by 100 a day each week until you reach 1500 (give or take)

So this week eat 1300 a day, next week 1400 a day until you reach TDEE-10%.

You can find your TDEE number at iifym.com or google scooby TDEE.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    honestly I would take a week at maintenance to reset leptin and other hormones, then move back to 1500 cals
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    quick answer yes you should...with 10lbs to go you should be aiming for 1/2lb a week weight loss.

I would up my calories slowly by 100 a day each week until you reach 1500 (give or take)

So this week eat 1300 a day, next week 1400 a day until you reach TDEE-10%.

You can find your TDEE number at iifym.com or google scooby TDEE.

This.

As for the weight gain/water retention, that's from your glycogen stores replenishing. It's completely temporary, don't worry!
  • lcroslin
    lcroslin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, great suggestion.
  • lcroslin
    lcroslin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks.