Calling all emotional binge eaters

Options
13»

Replies

• 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do this. I have eaten better in recent months than in the past, but terribly in the last week. I thought it was behind me but no.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Same here. Been binge eating since I was a kid, got quite bad in the last six months or so since I've been living on my own (used to live with my partner).

The past few weeks have been surprisingly good for me though, even though I've had quite a lot of stress and a tough time at work. A few things that have helped me to avoid night binges:
    - Sounds obvious but not having binge food in the house really helps. I don't even mean junk food, just anything that can be "abused" as binge food, whether that's sweet, salty, or crunchy. For me, that means no more nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter, granola.... It's never fun, but I've thrown away jars of peanut butter, bread, half finished boxes of cereal, a half finished jar of nutella, etc. in the past few weeks whenever I felt that I was starting to eat too much.
    - Cutting calories in the daytime and being hungry in the evening triggers binges for me, even if I have a decent dinner, I still crave more. It doesn't necessarily help me lose weight, but I eat a big lunch now to the point where I'm quite full, which makes me less interested in food when I come home.
    - Exercising in the evening helps as well. This can go either way (some people are super hungry after they've worked out...), but for me going for a late run and then drinking loads of water and a protein shake when I get back fills me up so much that I don't even think of food.
    - This might be a little more difficult, but spending the evening/night with someone means no alone time for binges (AND possibly some "exercise"...) :laugh:

Hope that helps a little.
  • quest2Bslim
    Options
    Many thanks for all of your responses and support. Whilst I wouldn’t wish binging on anyone, it is certainly reassuring to know I am not alone!

Writing and chatting about it has been quite therapeutic. I have made it through 3 days without binging and staying under my calorie goal. I’m feeling strong.

To all the people facing the same struggle, I wish you the very best.