Is it possible to healthily lose 67 pounds in 4-5 months?

Options
I wanna be 115 pounds buy the time I get back into school. Or like 130 at the most. And that gives me the rest of this year and summer break. Which is roughly 4 months.

The latest by my birthday in late October.

Is it possible? With good eating habits and exercise? Like, absolutely NO junk food whatsoever. Ditching the sugary drinks. And drinking strictly water and milk. And eating those good veggies and fruits and cutting carbs and sugars. About a 1350 calorie diet daily. (Yes I can live off of that. I've done it before.) And exercising daily (as much as I can.) Running/jogging and different forms of cardio. I dance a LOT.

Even if 67 in 4 months isn't possible, how about 40 in 4 months. That would bring me to 140 ish. Which would be much better than I am now.

I'm currently 182. 5'3. I'm a medium frame. With a 32-36" waist. I don't really know. I wear a size 12 jeans. Sometimes a 14. I wear adult medium sweatshirts because they're baggy on me.

-And if there is anything else I should know, that'd be great!

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    No, not possible without amputating a limb. Just take it easy and do it the healthy way.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes.
    Probable? No.
  • alinaacevez
    alinaacevez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To lose weight at a healthy rate, your goal should be to lose no more than 2 pounds per week. At this rate, by your birthday you could lose 40 pounds! Your diet is the single most important factor in losing weight. Exercise will help tone your body and get your heart healthy. You can do this. If you stick with it, by year end you would be close to losing the 60 plus pounds you want to lose. Good luck!
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Losing that much weight in that time frame would not be healthy. Eating a variety of nutrient-dense foods is good, but you don't have to cut everything else out to lose weight. The changes you make to your diet should be sustainable in the long term. Rather than focus on losing a lot of weight as quickly as possible, you should be focusing on preserving lean body mass while eating at a reasonable deficit. I highly recommend reading this for a better idea on how to lose weight in a healthy manner: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You can't lose that much in that short of time while doing it in a healthy manner. The smaller one is at their starting weight, the slower you tend to lose. At your weight, 1 lb a week may be doable at first, but dropping down to .5 lb a week as you get closer to your goal. My estimate for 16 weeks for you would be 14-16 lbs lost.

While tv shows try to make it look like losing weight really quickly is simple, it's not and it can really wreck havoc on your metabolism long term. Many of the people on Biggest Loser etc end up gaining their weight right back again, because they never learned how to eat healthily during the process.

Take your time, keep making improvements in your diet and get moving more. The weight loss will follow. But more importantly, you'll know what a real portion looks like, what a healthy balanced meal looks like, and how to make this a healthy lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    40 pounds would be more realistic. That equals out to about 10 pounds a month. You would need to be super strict though.
    If you aim for 6 pounds a month you can lose 60 pounds in 10 months, twice the amount of time, but you'll still get there.
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40 pounds in 9 weeks. It's possible if you are willing to put in the work.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Possible? Probably.
    Healthy? No.
    Likely? Also no.

Setting up arbitrary dates for weight loss is setting yourself up for failure. Try thinking about in terms of being healthy and slim for the rest of your life. Thinking in the short-term will not only probably not get you the weight loss you want, but will cause you to put it back on as soon as you hit your goal, because you can't sustain what you have done to get it off.

Don't make it complicated. Burn more calories than you consume, that's all you need for weight loss. Don't be extreme, it'll only hurt you in the long run.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to drop 58. So I would say NO. This isn't a race. Take it slow.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    I wanna be 115 pounds buy the time I get back into school. Or like 130 at the most. And that gives me the rest of this year and summer break. Which is roughly 4 months.

The latest by my birthday in late October.

Is it possible? With good eating habits and exercise? Like, absolutely NO junk food whatsoever. Ditching the sugary drinks. And drinking strictly water and milk. And eating those good veggies and fruits and cutting carbs and sugars. About a 1350 calorie diet daily. (Yes I can live off of that. I've done it before.) And exercising daily (as much as I can.) Running/jogging and different forms of cardio. I dance a LOT.

Even if 67 in 4 months isn't possible, how about 40 in 4 months. That would bring me to 140 ish. Which would be much better than I am now.

I'm currently 182. 5'3. I'm a medium frame. With a 32-36" waist. I don't really know. I wear a size 12 jeans. Sometimes a 14. I wear adult medium sweatshirts because they're baggy on me.

-And if there is anything else I should know, that'd be great!

It is absolutely not healthy and you should not suggest, in any round about way, for people to lose 1 lb a day. Period. *hard stare*
  • TheNewMe93Chicago
    Options
    You can drop 60 pounds in 5 months
    thats 3 pounds a week
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40 pounds in 9 weeks. It's possible if you are willing to put in the work.

From the information you've provided on a previous post your starting weight was a lot higher so therefore you would have had bigger losses, plus the fact you mentioned that not only were you NOT eating back exercise calories that you were under eating your daily allowance.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    Options
    You can drop 60 pounds in 5 months
    thats 3 pounds a week

Not reasonable at her starting weight....
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 in 15 weeks ... This doesn't mean it's possible for a 5'3" woman, however.

OP, losing 67 lbs for a female of your age and size in only 4-5 months would, in my estimation, result in a deficit that would be so large as to likely be nutrient-deficient. Personally I wouldn't recommend that as a goal - even if you had continual medical supervision.

My daughter is 21 and 5' 7", and when she set her mind to it, she counted calories, ate a modest deficit, exercised regularly and lost 36lbs in the first 3 months - which was pretty aggressive weight-loss compared to most female dieters her age.

1-2 lbs a week is considered fairly achievable for most people. If you want to set a more-aggressive target, aim for 2-2.5 lbs a week (2.5lbs a week would be 20 lbs in the first two months) - but understand it will involve pretty strict calorie counting, regular exercise and should involve ensuring you get proper nutrients on the diet you select.

It's also important to remember that for the vast-majority of dieters, weight loss SLOWS as you progress. This is because your overall BMR/RMR gradually reduces as your weight lessens. As such, the ability to lose weight slows. You may be able to lose 20 lbs the first two months, but it's not uncommon to take 4 more to lose another 20 ... So be prepared for the slow-down, accept it, and be happy as your loss is gradual, but continual. :-)
  • TheNewMe93Chicago
    Options
    40 pounds would be more realistic. That equals out to about 10 pounds a month. You would need to be super strict though.
    If you aim for 6 pounds a month you can lose 60 pounds in 10 months, twice the amount of time, but you'll still get there.

Um, 10 lbs a month is not realistic either. Even 6 lbs is pushing it.
    that's you
    most people can drop 9 pounds a month
    I know i can drop 15 pounds in a month if I'm really strict and get all my calories in for the day
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    Options

You are starving your body that is way you have lost the weight, its madness and you shouldn't be encouraging anyone to do the same.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yes.

5 months times 4 weeks equals 20 weeks. 2 lbs times 20 equals 40 lbs. that's the healthy amounts.

3 lbs times 20 weeks equals 60 lbs. just throw in a couple of months that have 5 weeks and lose faster than is healthy and you're there.

it's not healthy but you didn't ask that, you asked if it was POSSIBLE and yes it is.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This is yo-yo dieting
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

You are starving your body that is way you have lost the weight, its madness and you shouldn't be encouraging anyone to do the same.
    Even if done under constant medical supervision, this type of diet makes it incredibly difficult to get proper nutrition. The medical community usually recommends them for the morbidly obese for between 4 and 16 weeks and only under constant medical supervision.

I trust anyone on this kind of diet realizes that and works closely with their physician - preferably a bariatric physician - and a nutritionist.
This discussion has been closed.