My Rant

Options
So I have been doing heavy strength training for around 6 months now and some of the comments I receive on the topic continue to amaze me. I have heard it all. "You are going to hurt yourself", "it's not safe", "why are you lifting so much", "you should try crossfit instead"

Yet no one says anything to the couch potato who sits on his *kitten* all day stuffing his face with Doritos and soda. People confuse the hell out of me sometimes.

Replies

• sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    Its probably because the couch potatoes don't log onto MFP and hang around for very long.

If your workout is working for you, don't worry so much about the nay-sayers. You don't want to hurt yourself so you probably won't.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I agree you working out and getting it done. If you like it and it is getting you results by all means. As a trainer I reccomend you to be safe and watch form. I have seen to many people lifting and getting seriously hurt but if your not going too heavy for your abilities then do it! Be careful and make sure your form is GREAT! LIFT ON STRONG MAN ;-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I used to lift heavy myself, but most people in my gym did that as well (university football players) so no one said anything other than good.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I agree you working out and getting it done. If you like it and it is getting you results by all means. As a trainer I reccomend you to be safe and watch form. I have seen to many people lifting and getting seriously hurt but if your not going too heavy for your abilities then do it! Be careful and make sure your form is GREAT! LIFT ON STRONG MAN ;-)

I am pretty strict on form. If my form suffers on a lift I repeat the same weight next time rather than increasing. It only counts as complete for me if I do it with proper form.

I did hurt my shoulder a while back, because I relaxed my bench press form too soon when racking the bar. But it is getting better and i am building the weight back up slowly. I also get my cortisone shot today. But I definitely learned my lesson. The barbell is good at teaching lessons.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I am pretty strict on form. If my form suffers on a lift I repeat the same weight next time rather than increasing. It only counts as complete for me if I do it with proper form.

I did hurt my shoulder a while back, because I relaxed my bench press form too soon when racking the bar. But it is getting better and i am building the weight back up slowly. I also get my cortisone shot today. But I definitely learned my lesson. The barbell is good at teaching lessons.
    I JUST switched to an all dumbbell workout. I really wanted to recruit more muscles in my workout. Additionally it is an all-body workout which is supposed to increase HGH. Personally I always go heavy. Unfortunately for my flat bench, the dumbbells only go up to 100lbs.
  • End6ame
    Options
    I JUST switched to an all dumbbell workout. I really wanted to recruit more muscles in my workout. Additionally it is an all-body workout which is supposed to increase HGH. Personally I always go heavy. Unfortunately for my flat bench, the dumbbells only go up to 100lbs.

Yeah mine is a full body 5x5 barbell routine. Squat, deads, bech, press, and bb rows. I like doing the full body in one day rather than splits. Gives me three full body workouts as apposed to one or two depending on the split. I have heard the same thing about HGH as well, but have never done any extra research into it.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I have always done splits. My previous routine was 1 body part per day. I find this program forces me to do legs, which I dislike intensely.
    Here is my new routine:
    All DB's Sets/Reps
    flat bench 1/10
    incline flye 1/10
    push-up failure
    pull-up failure
    1-arm row 1/10
    flat-bench pullover 1/10
    seated overhead press 1/10
    squat 1/10
    lunge 1/10
    romainian deadlift 1/10
    close-grip bench press 1/10
    seated 1-arm overhead extension 1/10
    standing alt curl 1/10
    incline-bench curl 1/10
    hip thrust failure
    tuck crunch failure

this is for the 1st 2 weeks, then you lower your reps to 6-8. Weeks 5-6 you go back to a split routine. I needed a shake up.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I think people like this that say *kitten* to you are just insecure about themselves. They are too consumed with their worries and what not and feel the need to say something to you.....I would just give the thumbs up (with the hidden eff you) and be like thanks
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Some people say that to make themselves feel better if they aren't doing anything.
  • End6ame
    Options
    I would just give the thumbs up (with the hidden eff you) and be like thanks

HAHA, that's pretty much been my approach.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    Go heavy...drop a weight on their foot...and say "Ooops, I guess you were right."
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    As long as you're watching your form, which you said you do, there's no need at all to stop what you're doing. Unfortunately there are always people who feel the need to give their opinions and "advice" good or bad, on everything anyone else does. I tend to ignore people like that and just get on with it.
    Luckily for me, most of the people at the gym I'm at now are all lifting heavy weights so it's never been a problem there.