Help! No weight loss again :-(

Options
Ok, this is seriously getting me down now.....

I've not lost since 13th April, 2 weeks ago I reverted from TDEE to MFP targets, but set the loss to .5lbs as I've only got 7lbs to lose. I've also increased my cardio to see if that would help too, rarely do I eat some of those "earned" calories back. I usually go to the gym 4-5 times a week but don't do an exercise during the weekend as I don't have time.

These are my eating & exercise calories (1660 daily) for this week:
Monday - 1231 calories (not hungry)
Tuesday - 1673 calories, 367 exercise = 1306 net
Wednesday - 1480 calories, 399 exercise = 1081 net
Thursday - 1634 calories, 429 exercise = 1205 net
Friday - 1808 calories, 294 exercise = 1514 net

I weigh absolutely everything that passes my lips too.

When I jumped on the scales this morning it was reading a 2lb gain :sad:

Potentially this could be becuase I ate late last night about 10:15pm and it was a takeaway so high in salt/sodium no doubt so could be water gain.

Just want to lose these last 7lbs, any ideas how to do this???

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Patience. You only changed your method 2 weeks ago you have a small amount of weight to lose so it will take time. You've already identified that the 2 pound gain is unlikely to be real weight. Keep weighing and logging accurately and give it some time. If your still in the same place in a month then reassess.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    ahhhh huni :(.

Just keep on keeping on.

Give yourself a couple of more weeks to adjust. Hop back on again tomorrow morning and see - although I do find it takes a couple of days for the bloat to move.

I know this is going to sound a bit weird but has the weather changed suddenly where you are? I know when we have a different weather pattern I retain water like a freakin well - including the ever famous sausage fingers and that masks any weight loss for nearly a week to 2 weeks.
  • nasaksc
    nasaksc Posts: 16
    Options
    Really struggling here too, I have weighed almost the same since Jan/feb and I do cardio almost everyday and eat more sensible than I ever have in my life, my job depends on it, at this rate im gonna get fired, why isnt the weight coming off, seriously considering a surgical option here.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Really struggling here too, I have weighed almost the same since Jan/feb and I do cardio almost everyday and eat more sensible than I ever have in my life, my job depends on it, at this rate im gonna get fired, why isnt the weight coming off, seriously considering a surgical option here.

How much do you need to lose? and how long have you been tracking?
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    water fluctuations, you are not a unique snowflake, your body is not immune to the the laws of thermodynamics just like everyone else

/thread
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Patience. You only changed your method 2 weeks ago you have a small amount of weight to lose so it will take time. You've already identified that the 2 pound gain is unlikely to be real weight. Keep weighing and logging accurately and give it some time. If your still in the same place in a month then reassess.

This.

Give it more time. It could take 4-6 weeks to see any changes. Also, you recently upped your exercise so you're likely retaining water from that as well.
  • ahaynes1985
    ahaynes1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try detoxing. The lymphatic system causes you to retain water when there is a buildup of toxins in your system. This is a major cause of the " pot belly". Here's some tips for detoxing http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-cleansing-body
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to goal the slower it seems to come off. I had periods of no loss for up to three weeks at a time. I'd go three weeks waiting for something to happen and then, BAM, 3 pounds suddenly gone in one day. You're so close, just be patient and it should happen! :flowerforyou:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Try detoxing. The lymphatic system causes you to retain water when there is a buildup of toxins in your system. This is a major cause of the " pot belly". Here's some tips for detoxing http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-cleansing-body
    No. Your kidneys and liver do a mighty fine job removing toxins from your body. That's what they're there for. Detoxes and cleanses have ZERO scientific/medical proof that they work, and in more cases than not are more harmful to the body.

Simply drink water if you feel the need to 'cleanse'.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Patience, as others have said. The last 10 pounds are the hardest. I'm not sure why 7 pounds is so important - as physically you will not notice much difference, if any.

I would suggest that if you are looking for a difference in your body, that you incorporate strength training into the mix. That's the best way to make changes in the way you look at this point in your game

Why do you not eat back at least part of your exercise calories? You need to fuel the workouts, not to mention making sure you are meeting you macros/micros for optimal health.

ETA: Please - you do NOT need a cleanse or detox. That's all a bunch of hooey!
  • petal1991
    petal1991 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    water fluctuations, you are not a unique snowflake, your body is not immune to the the laws of thermodynamics just like everyone else

/thread

I am so sick of seeing people post this. It is rude, and certainly not helpful to anyone.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

This.

Give it more time. It could take 4-6 weeks to see any changes. Also, you recently upped your exercise so you're likely retaining water from that as well.

^^Both the above posts. Weight loss isn't linear, especially for us women. I know you want the weight off NOW, but you have so little left to lose, it may take awhile. And you are in your mid 40s now, and the weight is harder to come off now than it was in our 20s. Look at a month at a time, instead of a week. If you can lose 2 lbs in a month, that would be gold at this point.

As someone else suggested, focus more on body composition at this point, instead of the scale. Take your measurements. Get your body fat % tested. You might be at an ideal BF% now and not realize it. You may just need to lift some more weights and firm things up a bit, and then you will be happy with the results.
    Don't be so focused on what that little box on the floor says in the morning! It can be a dirty dog liar at times.:angry::happy:
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

Your ticker says you want to lose 12 lbs. You will get fired for being 12 lbs overweight?

Weight loss comes from eating less than you burn. You say you are doing cardio and eating sensibly, but exactly what does that mean? Are you accurately measuring and logging all your food everyday? You can still over eat on 'sensible' food.
    I have a feeling that you aren't logging. I know it is a hassle, and you think you can just 'cut back' and 'eat better' and the weight should come off. We all have gone thru that mentality. Sometimes it works. But when it doesn't work, then you have to get down to serious business and start logging everything. good and bad.
    Do that for another week or two and see if you don't see some progress. If you don't, then lower your calorie level by 100-200 a day and try again. And NO CHEATING. :wink:

ETA My bad, I posted before I saw you had your diary open. Lose the alcohol for awhile. That has stymied many a weight loss effort. Be consistent with your calories. One high calorie day can negate many days of staying under goal.
    And exercise calories on the MFP database or machines, can be way off. Either get a HRM or Fitbit, or else start logging only half of what the numbers tell you on here.
    And again. Make sure you are accurately weighing and measuring all of your food. Don't just eyeball it and consider it a serving. Double check the labels to make sure the entries in the database are correct.
    Fruits and veggies are better carbs for you than Doritos and beer. I know the IIFYM people will disagree, but if what you are doing isn't working, then try something else.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This

Plus add some strength/resistance training to your routine.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    In addition to weight loss not being linear. It is harder to lose smaller amounts, particularly as smaller deficits are more likely to be wiped out by inaccuracies in logging calories.

If in doubt, focus on accurately weighing and logging all consumption. Paying pasrticvular attention to inaccuracies in the database entries.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Patience, as others have said. The last 10 pounds are the hardest. I'm not sure why 7 pounds is so important - as physically you will not notice much difference, if any.

I would suggest that if you are looking for a difference in your body, that you incorporate strength training into the mix. That's the best way to make changes in the way you look at this point in your game

Why do you not eat back at least part of your exercise calories? You need to fuel the workouts, not to mention making sure you are meeting you macros/micros for optimal health.

ETA: Please - you do NOT need a cleanse or detox. That's all a bunch of hooey!

QFT.

Plus your body can fluctuate 5+/- lbs a day. patience. Plus all that was said above.
  • nasaksc
    nasaksc Posts: 16
    Options

How much do you need to lose? and how long have you been tracking?

Need to lose 12lbs in four weeks to keep my job and 10stone around 140lbs to save my life....so depressed here, been on yoyo diets all my life and just getting heavier as I get older, been monitoring since start of the year but MFP only last 4-5 weeks....
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It's said that the last 10 lbs are the hardest to lose.

How does your body know they're the last 10 lbs.?
  • tanarama
    tanarama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have increased your exercise level, your weight may be reflecting additional muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat. How does your body feel/look? Any changes in how your clothes fit? Those are better indicators than what the scale says. Also, going too far below your recommended calorie allowance is not necessarily helpful. You have to eat enough during the day to keep your metabolism fired up. Be kind to yourself!