How many calories do you eat at meals vs. snacks?

Options
I'm just wondering, for those that are eating within their calorie/macro goals, how are you allotting your calories for meals and snacks?

For example, I usually eat (at 1800 calories): 400 calorie breakfast, 400 calorie lunch, 400 calorie dinner, with 3, 200 calorie snacks...

I'm just wondering if people feel better eating larger meals and fewer snacks, or people feel better, being able to eat small amounts throughout the day. I am trying to tweak my plan, so that I feel satisfied throughout the day, and so that I don't have too many calories leftover at night. When I have to much leftover, I find that I tend to graze, and then I end up overshooting my calories (often by a lot!).

I know it doesn't matter WHEN you eat, or how you allot the calories, in terms of weight loss. I'm just wondering what works for YOU. Just looking for ideas... Thanks!

Replies

• lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My goal is 2050. I usually split it (approx): 300cal breakfast, 600cal lunch, 800 cal dinner, 300 snacks or there abouts. On days I exercise I will obviously have more calories to spread over (which is why I love exercise days!).

I always find I am more hungry and feeling 'snacky' in the evening so I have lighter breakfast/lunch to allow myself more later in the day.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Normally something like this, eating around 2000 - 2200 calories a day
    Breakfast 600
    Lunch 300
    Tea 500-600
    2 x 250 snacks
    1 x 100 snack
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1600. 400 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner, 300 snacks (total). I add workout calories to whichever meal I want to.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1830, but with exercise it's usually more like 22-2300. Typical breakdown:

Breakfast: 300 ish
    Morning snack: 150
    Lunch: 400-500
    Afternoon snack: 200
    Dinner: 800-900
    Evening snack: Whatever's left :)
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day, breakfast 500, lunch 700, dinner 800. I was eating 3 small meals and 2-3 snacks but was constantly hungry. With big meals I am satiated and am able to stop grazing all day.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1700-1900 calories daily and it depends on the day but usually 2 meals per day

Meal 1: 800 calories
    Meal 2: whatever is left and dessert :)

Or like today I will have all my calories in 1 meal
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering, for those that are eating within their calorie/macro goals, how are you allotting your calories for meals and snacks?

For example, I usually eat (at 1800 calories): 400 calorie breakfast, 400 calorie lunch, 400 calorie dinner, with 3, 200 calorie snacks...

I'm just wondering if people feel better eating larger meals and fewer snacks, or people feel better, being able to eat small amounts throughout the day. I am trying to tweak my plan, so that I feel satisfied throughout the day, and so that I don't have too many calories leftover at night. When I have to much leftover, I find that I tend to graze, and then I end up overshooting my calories (often by a lot!).

I know it doesn't matter WHEN you eat, or how you allot the calories, in terms of weight loss. I'm just wondering what works for YOU. Just looking for ideas... Thanks!

I've put a lot of thought into a response for this one...

For your meals, assuming you are eating the right meals, your dinner should be the largest meal, and consumed two hours before bed. If you are eating the right things (lean meats, good carbs, fiber), it really doesn't matter how many calories you consume during each meal. As far as the snacks go, two healthy protein snacks are best. You don't need to obsess over how many calories you need for each meal. The only thing you should worry about is what you're actually consuming to get those calories.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    random i just eat snacks when ever .............. a meal when ever as long as it fits.. my cals for that day
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

For your meals, assuming you are eating the right meals, your dinner should be the largest meal, and consumed two hours before bed. If you are eating the right things (lean meats, good carbs, fiber), it really doesn't matter how many calories you consume during each meal. As far as the snacks go, two healthy protein snacks are best. You don't need to obsess over how many calories you need for each meal. The only thing you should worry about is what you're actually consuming to get those calories.

Wrong yet again! Please stop with the horrible advice!!

Meal timing is all personal preference! I eat my last meal in bed watching tv followed by whatever sugary dessert I am consuming.

You wonder why people don't have anything nice to say... it's because you keep giving bad advice go do some research and learn before you offer help!!
  • Knight8383
    Knight8383 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]- CCF

It comes down to personal preference.

I eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a king and dinner like a pauper.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I usually end up eating more calories in snacks than I do per meal, not because I try to or because I prefer to, but because I have a job with variable, early hours, and am also a student, so I'm often away from home for many hours a day, spend a couple of hours in travel, can't eat at regular intervals, and can't really carry more than one full meal with me. So it's breakfast before I leave, a packed lunch, and snacks like carrots/fruit, nuts, and bars to eat when I can, and then when I get home I'm usually hungry and have another snack before dinner. (I'm eating 1400 kcal, but I don't plan calorie counts per meal, though I try to plan my day in advance if I can.) I'm so used to it that even when I am home basically all day I'm still likely to snack almost as many calories as any given meal (and things I log as "lunch" or "dinner" may not end up being eaten in the same sitting). I log everything before I eat it if at all possible, so I rarely go over goal even if my calorie distribution varies from day to day. I hit my macros pretty well.

Ideally I'd rather have smaller snacks and meals at relatively regular intervals, but that's not likely for a while. Breakfast is usually the smallest meal calorie-wise unless I actually get to sleep in (and am able to) and thus am hungry enough for more.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1700-1900 calories daily and it depends on the day but usually 2 meals per day

Meal 1: 800 calories
    Meal 2: whatever is left and dessert :)

Or like today I will have all my calories in 1 meal

Hmm that's different. Haven't seen anyone do it like that on here before.
    Obviously it's working for you though.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    175 breakfast
    650 lunch
    1100 dinner
  • rustypep
    rustypep Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just finished my fourth month but mostly eat three meals and four to five snacks. Breakfast 300, mid morning snack (banana) 140, lunch 350, mid afternoon snack 100-250 (nuts, oatmeal, etc.), dinner 500-600, two to three evening snacks 260-310, with a total of 1800 calories per day on rest days. That's about 70/30 mix of meals to snacks. On workout days it can be as high as 50/50 and my calories jump to around 2,500 as I burn about 750 calories three days a week.

On work out days I will eat three afternoon snacks with the last one about two hours before my workout which is after work. My day starts a 7am and I go to bed at midnight so I generally eat my last snack by 11pm. This keeps me from waking up hungry and over eating in the morning.

I seem to do better if I eat throughout the day versus three square meals. I don't feel the urge to snack badly in the evening when I do that and my energy is consistent throughout the day. I eat a lot of yogurt for lunch and as snacks in the evening. I also like the kashi fiber cookies as snacks. So far I am averaging about 1.6 lbs. lost a week.
  • Sabretooth335
    Options
    Varies between 2400 calories a day and up. (Some days over 4000 due to cycling)

Breakfast (Usually oats and dried fruit with WHOLE milk): 550 - 700

Lunch: Sandwhich and salad if it's a weekday: 500+

Dinner: Any meat, filled pasta, lots of sauce! 600.+

Snacks: Fruit, biscuits, chocolate etc: 500+

Puddings and Drinks: Milk with tea etc yogurts, oats, berries, chocolate for pudding: 350+
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I rarely snack unless I feel ravenous due to workouts. As a personal matter I much prefer 3 larger meals. The only drawback is there are fewer meals to split protein intake among, so I try to get more at each meal. How much I eat at dinner varies a lot--during the week I get home late and like dinner to be similar in size to my other meals, especially since I go to bed soon after. On weekends I often go out to eat so adjust my meals accordingly. I also often have a small snack, long run, brunch and dinner on the weekends, or something like that. I get up early so usually have time to get hungry before breakfast.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

For right now,
    I cram all my calories/macros in between 1pm - 8pm.