low carb

sarah5893
sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
what percentage of calories from carbs /how many carbs would you guys consider 'low carb' ?

Replies

• sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    anyone? :)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Under 20 grams is generally Atkins Induction/Ketosis low. Some people will do 20-40 and stay in ketosis. I guess someone who works out a lot might even be in ketosis between 50-80. Maybe. I wouldn't know. I don't work out much. After around 80 it's still lower than most people get (or most people on the SAD, anyway) but it probably won't switch you over into any form of ketosis.
  • akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Low carb is anything below 50 net carbs per day. Ie subtract the fiber from the total carb number
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Anything under 130g of carbs is considered low.
    Low-carb ketogenic diet (LCKD): less than 50g carbs and 10% calories daily
    Low-carb diet (LCD): 50-130g carbs daily and between 10-26% of calories
    Moderate-carb diet (MCD): 130-225g carbs daily and between 26-45% of calories

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/9
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    10 - 20% of calories is probably considered low carb.

If you are interested there are some low carb groups you may want to take a look at.

Good luck
  • Jestinia
    Anything under 130g of carbs is considered low.
    Low-carb ketogenic diet (LCKD): less than 50g carbs and 10% calories daily
    Low-carb diet (LCD): 50-130g carbs daily and between 10-26% of calories
    Moderate-carb diet (MCD): 130-225g carbs daily and between 26-45% of calories

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/9

Wow, never thought low carb ever got that high!
  • AlabasterVerve
    I think it's from the your brain needs 130g of dietary carbohydrate a day to function school of thought.
  • Jestinia
    I think it's from the your brain needs 130g of dietary carbohydrate a day to function school of thought.

Not my brain. All my brain needs is caffeine.
  • AlabasterVerve

Not my brain. All my brain needs is caffeine.

:laugh:
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Atkins figures about 100 net carbs as low carb maintenance. I found I maintained on that just fine but I can't lose weight without dropping carbs to 50 - 75 total - and trust me I have seriously tried - carbs are delicious.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    There is no medical/scientific definition for "low carb".

There are studies done where the "low-carb" diet is 45% carbohydrate. I would never personally consider that "low-carb".

*Most* people consider low-carb to be anything that would put them into ketosis - and the amount varies by individual depending on their TDEE.

From a general standpoint, if you're looking at a low-carb, ketogenic diet, you want a moderate caloric restriction - then you're looking at 10% or fewer calories from carbohydrate, between 15-25% of calories from protein (depending on your need) and the rest from fat.

I prefer percentages to actual gram amounts as they more-accurately reflect a persons needs / intake.

For example, many women find success at a 5/15/80 ratio of carbs/protein/fat. At 2,000 calories that 5% is 100 calories, or 25g of net carbohydrate.

For me, I generally have about 8/25/67 (when averaged out over the past year). But for me, that 8% of carbohydrate is over 250 calories, about 65g of carbohydrate, and that's still completely ketogenic for me.