does Aspirin help ?

Options
I'm absolutely no-medication taker- and i avoid to take anything as much as i can.

But i have pain in my ankles/legs etc- from working out on the treadmill. Especially the next morning when i get out of bed it hurts.
Also limits me on my workouts next day-b ecause of pain.

Is Aspirin ok to take /does it help - with this ? If yes to both- should i take it the night of workout- so i don't have the pain in am ?
Is it ibuprofen i should be taking ? I think Ibup. retains water - is that correct ?

Any other suggestions ?

THank you

Replies

• mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    First of all love you profile picture, big Jillian fan!! :smile:

I have tried Advil & Tylenol and they did not help much... So I take Alleve b/c that's the only thing that helps with the pain after exercise. Good luck!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Aspirin and ibuprofen are both non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Either would help your pain. My preference is Tylenol, fewer side effects. If you are in that much pain, you are doing too much. Try backing off on the speed or incline some. If that makes your legs feel better, then slowly work your way back up, allowing your body to adjust to the workout.
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    Find out why it hurts and make adjustments. I try to take meds as sparingly as possible, Ibuprofen should help and does not make you retain water. If it is muscle soreness it will go away as you get stronger.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Aspirin and ibuprofen are both non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Either would help your pain. My preference is Tylenol, fewer side effects. If you are in that much pain, you are doing too much. Try backing off on the speed or incline some. If that makes your legs feel better, then slowly work your way back up, allowing your body to adjust to the workout.
    Yup... too much too fast possibly... Important to REST as well... Heal up start back slowly. You dont' want to have a permanent injury.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure may determine this too, ibuprofen does tend to raise your BP. A few years ago my BP was really high, at the time i was on a steady diet of OTC sinus meds and ibuprofen. Aspirin on the other hand is a blood thinner but is considered to be "heart healthy".
    Since my BP is much better i do take ibuprofen when needed, but try to stick aspirin more than the previous.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Aleve Gel Caps.
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the answers.

I don't know if i'm doing too much- all i was thinking is " i'm simply to heavy for my bones -and i just have to get through that pain ..

I mean - do other overwheight peolpe not feel any pain in the ankles ? I feel it even when i walk .. i'm 5'5" and 253ish lbs ..
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    Aleve Gel Caps.

Yes, they work the BEST.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    Be careful taking Aspirin or other meds before or immediately after working out! Try maybe backing off a little bit, either on intensity or time, and make sure you have good supportive shoes-that can make a huge difference :)
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I started out at 5'6" and 286 pounds, plus I have rheumatoid arthritis that causes hand and foot pain. At first, it was hard to do exercise without joint pain, but it is possible. Now (almost 70 lbs lighter) I really don't have any joint pain after exercise, but I can sure feel some tired muscles when I'm done.

My advice to you is to slow it down a bit. Joint pain is NOT a normal part of working out, it is your body telling you that you are doing too much. Give yourself permission to do this slowly, instead of going all out immediately. Find the intensity/duration that does NOT give you joint pain, and work your way up from there. If you have muscle pain that lasts for more than 24-48 hours at this point, that also is a sign that you are doing too much.

As someone else mentioned, good shoes are a MUST. I also wear custom orthotics, which also help tremendously in my particular case.

Keep up the good work, you've got the determination that will make you succeed in this journey!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I mean - do other overwheight peolpe not feel any pain in the ankles ? I feel it even when i walk .. i'm 5'5" and 253ish lbs ..

Absolutely, I was in pain a lot when i was 273 lbs. I'm taller than you though, but I was aching everywhere. Try the Aleve Gel caps also, Polysorb insoles. You can find them at a sportings goods store or online.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen and aspirin are basically the same thing so either would help, tylenol will help with pain but not inflammation.

If you want to try to avoid medication try RICE, this is a standard injury prevention and healing technique.
    Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate

Ice after your workout and anytime you feel sore for about 20 minutes, compress with ace bandage, compression socks or even tight fitting long socks, elevate by proping feet up on a pillow in bed or on couch before bed and rest would come down to making sure you aren't doing too much too soon or make a point to ease up for a few weeks while you heal so that you don't get worse. If you aren't taking a rest day you may want to.

As far as when to take ibuprofen (my doc recommended Aleve or coated tabs) you should take that after your workout, you may need to take a dose every 12 hours for about a week.

Of course, I am not a doctor and this is only friendly advice so if the pain is really bad or doesn't subside you may have other issues like stress fractures, tendonitis etc.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents...

Do you have access to a stationary bike? If you're having this much pain, maybe a new exercise regimen is needed. Pain is the body's way of communicating to you. A bike has less impact on the joints and still burns a lot of calories.

As for the meds, I'd recommend doing so under the advice of a doctor. Sure, these are OTC medications, but they can be VERY dangerous!! Tylenol or Acetaminophen taken for an extended period of time (or, if you have a condition you're not aware of) can damage your liver.
    I lost a sister-in-law due to Tylenol poisoning. Not only that, I used to have to go for blood work every 3 months because I was taking Tylenol 1-2 days a week for side effects. For a long time, I thought it was the injections for the MS therapy. I was shocked to find out it had nothing to do with the shots.

With Ibuprofen, if you're not careful with this one, it can damage the lining of your stomach. Again, I know firsthand because I lost my mother last year from an intra-abdominal hemorrhage due to too much ibuprofen over time.

If you can, call your doc and see if they can advise you over the phone, even. He/She can tell you how much and for how long to safely take these.

Good luck!!
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great information you guys shared. Everytime it's such a relief to be here - and see how many people respond to a question. I really love this place :) Because of people like you .

I do have a stationary bike.. but somehow i use it on my " lazy " days ? .. i think i'm not doing enough i need to move my " big..b " .. and on the bike i don't have the feeling like i'm doing it.

Ok i didn't know that " joint pain " - is not the part of the process. Somehow i thought " if you heavy that's just what you have to go through " ..

Like i said i don't take meds.. even OTC- i just don't like any meds try to do without it.. but eventually i thought it might be ok to take it sometimes for the pain.. i will be carefull about it.