Is it exercise or daily routine?

Options
For the last two years part of my routine is to walk my dog twice a day: at least 30 minutes in the morning and then 60+ minutes in the evening. In between that I work a desk job but do try to move as much as possible. During that whole time though my weight stayed kind of the same...sometimes up, sometimes down.

Recognizing that the missing link to weight loss for me is primarily diet (thus I'm using MFP) I am wondering how I categorize myself for the calorie intake. Given that EVERY day I walk my dog at least 1.5 hours (I have to be pretty darn sick not to walk her). Am I "Lightly Active" or "Active"?

Note that since joining MFP I've started to integrate jogging into my evening walks and increasing my pace when walking.

Thoughts? Right now I have myself as "Lightly Active".

Replies

• rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I had it explained to me that what we do everyday is activity not exercise. I'm a high school custodian and average 3-3.5 mile a night just doing my job. Good thing to or I'd have a lot more to lose:wink: So I guess you might want add something that will get your heart rate up a couple of times a week, that's exercise. Good Luck!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    This is how I look at it. Do you want to have to log those walks everyday? If you do then set your activity level lower and then log it as exercise. If you don't want that bother just set yourself as lightly active or active (I would try active first), go at it for 4 weeks and reevaluate. If you aren't losing as fast as your deficit says, drop to lightly active. Your settings can change so adjust as required.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How many miles do you cover in those walks?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Put yourself as sedentary and log the exercise and eat those calories back.
  • lmaking
    lmaking Posts: 9
    Options
    How many miles do you cover in those walks?

In a day we average about 10 km between the two walks...varying speeds though.