For the Girls. Those TIme of the Month Cravings???

Options
Ok...Ladies once again it is around that time....I want to eat everything....MEXICAN...Chocolate....Ice-cream...I am hungry about the week before and it seems that I am not getting full..What are some of the ways you control...well those cravings?

Replies

• sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a lot of water and give in a little. If you are still dying for some chocolate, plan it out and give yourself some. Just don't go crazy! What might help prevent the cravings is making sure you have a sufficient amount Vitamins A and B in your diet. A deficiency of either one of those can increase PMS and cravings.

Hope that helps! :)
  • tnwombles
    tnwombles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will give in to ONE of my cravings. Usually that is a couple squares of good quality 70% dark chocolate. I say let your body have just enough of an indulgence but not enough to derail your progress. Consider that you will be helping yourself in the long run by keeping your metabolism on it's toes! :)
  • MadeandUnmade
    MadeandUnmade Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree--give into it a little. It never helps for me to eat around the craving because I end up eating a lot more calories by trying to fill the craving with other options than if I had a small serving of what I really want.

Good luck! It is always my hardest week!
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    BBQ Pop Chips.

Good dark(ish, I'm not a huge fan of mega-dark) chocolate.

Popcorn.

If I want something dip-like, I'll have hummus or I'll make a dip out of Greek yogurt instead of mayo/sour cream/etc, and try to use vegetables instead of chips (but again, if you want chips, try the Pop Chips or maybe some pita chips.)

Girl, I get some hardcore PMS food cravings, mostly for salt and chocolate, so I feel your pain. But one thing I've noticed is the more active I am, especially in the week prior, the less all of the symptoms hit me, and the more hydrated I am, the less I crave these foods. :flowerforyou: (Mine is in, oh, any day now; I woke up and my boobs are all sore and heavy, grumble.)
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    My biggest craving during my time of the month is Pringles. I don't know how to stop the cravings, so I tend to just give in and get back on track once the cravings are over.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have a serving of what I'm craving. I'm fairly predictable even without keeping track on a calendar. Needing chocolate covered grahams? Period incoming.
  • brookebeal86
    Options
    Special K Biscuit Moments - Filled with chocolate, and only around 100 calories - Works for me :)
  • jenna40_2go
    jenna40_2go Posts: 101
    Options
    I NEED SALT! And I don't mean a little lol. I crave it so bad! Mine started yesterday so I got the jolly time smart popcorn. Just enough butter and salt on it to hit the craving and I unfortunately ate the whole bag. But even measured out I stayed in my calories count and supplemented with some beef jerky for protein so I just stayed full.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    plenty water, frozen yoghurt to replace icecream
    low calorie hot chocolates, frozen fruit :)
  • Kaitlyn811
    Kaitlyn811 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Super dark chocolate and a pina colada (sans alcohol, add coconut oil) smoothie usually do the trick :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't control them, I give in. I eat over my calories sometimes during TOM, and then make up for it on the days when I'm not experiencing cravings by eating way under my calories. So, at the end of the month, my average cal intake is under.
  • TheThriftstorian
    TheThriftstorian Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, indulge a tiny bit. I can't survive without my chocolate. Your body hurts, you want to be cranky, and you have to wear special things in your nether regions. I'd say indulgence is very justified.

That being said, I've read in multiple places that women burn slightly (SLIGHTLY) more calories when they're on their periods..I think between 100 and 200 extra calories a day. So don't feel so bad about needing a little extra ;)
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    i switch to maintenance for a couple of days before. and i need mostly salt :P
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be totally honest here! I've tried so many things. Now, I just eat EVERYTHING! I cant help myself! I go over, almost a week before daily about 50 to 200 cals. But I know I'm still in a deficit so I don't beat myself up too much. I don't gain from it just maybe a little water weight. So if anyone has some suggestions, I'm in for trying it (if I haven't already)
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My biggest craving during my time of the month is Pringles. I don't know how to stop the cravings, so I tend to just give in and get back on track once the cravings are over.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
    Yes! I ate almost a whole can last week. And I was supposed to be sharing with my Hubs!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    It is tough. I not only get cravings a few days before, I get intensely hungry most of the week before and sometimes the week of. I have wiped out a whole month of progress before.

And I thought as I got older it would settle down more. My moods have, but not the hunger beast. I don't even want to think about what menopause will be like.

I tried to fast through the worst day of it last time because I do IF, but I calculated wrong. That weekend was a 10k calorie blowout. Whoops!

I fight the hunger and cravings as best I can and try to cram in more healthy foods like veggies and red meat. But still, it's a beast.
  • holmed90
    holmed90 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Know how you feel right now! Today I have gave in and had some leftover Easter Egg chocolate. I also get a lot more tired. Everyone is a bit different but I try and rest, indulge a bit without binging, and do lower intensity exercise.. Or have a rest day if I feel particularly crap. I think the main thing is don't get too disappointed in yourself, the feeling will go away so don't feel guilty! Keep at it :)
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I swear you can find this exact same thread every week, lol! I never really noticed any changes until recently when I came off the pill. I don't have any strategy other than crazy WILLPOWER. If I ate everything I craved during that week, I would be going up a few sizes. :happy: