NSVs? (Non-Scale Victories)

Options
ImaWaterBender
ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
I still have a LONG way to go and since I carry all of my weight in my torso, weight loss is slow to show up, but I am seeing it gradually. Here are my NSVs:

~ Now that I am getting a waist, my boobs look MUCH better.

~ I thought I was in menopause, but losing weight has caused that TOM to come back. Whoo HOO! Fountain of Youth! Fat is hormonal active and sends more estrogen throughout the body (even if you're a guy). Less fat: more balanced hormones.

~ I rarely have backaches anymore.

~ I can wear sleeveless shirts again without cringing. I am still working on my guns, but losing flab is so cool.

What are yours?

Replies

• marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Those are great NSVs! I really love NSVs. Mine today-- After two very long flights to get from the US to Africa, I have no swelling in my feet or legs! I fit into the airplane seat better than I have in a long time. I was able to relax and not have to worry about crowding out the person next to me. It was awesome! 32 lbs down- am excited about how I'll feel after the next 32!
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    That's excellent! I worry about getting into a plane seat.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My most recent NSVs:

Discovering I'm much more comfortable in airline seats, restaurant booths etc.
    Wearing a sz14 wetsuit to go snorkeling! (I wore a sz 22 in Dec)
    Wearing pantyhose is much less torture now, easier to get on, no chafing from thighs rubbing together.
    Putting on my wedding dress on our 15th wedding anniversary and it fit!

Today, my husband told me I looked hot in the dress I wore Friday night. More than once. :) I told him he'll have to take me out someplace nice so I have reason to wear it again. LOL
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to add muscle at this point. Kick boxing is getting easier for the first time in years! I thought it was age slowing me down. It turned out to be a bit too much weight and not enough protein in my diet or muscle mass! I'm also "toning up" all over. Some of the things I thought were age related,IE... my stomach was not as flat as a couple years ago, my arms started to get "bat wings", and my face was a bit fuller, turned out to be fitness issues also.
  • BookofJarom
    BookofJarom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A week ago, I wore to church a suit I still have from my 19-years-ago mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I haven't fit in it forever, and I was never quite sure why I kept that way-too-tight suit around. Sentimental value, I guess.

It was still a bit tight last week, but not bad, and very usable. Maybe I seemed like a fool in a mid-1990s-era double-breasted suit, but it felt great.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to add muscle at this point. Kick boxing is getting easier for the first time in years! I thought it was age slowing me down. It turned out to be a bit too much weight and not enough protein in my diet or muscle mass! I'm also "toning up" all over. Some of the things I thought were age related,IE... my stomach was not as flat as a couple years ago, my arms started to get "bat wings", and my face was a bit fuller, turned out to be fitness issues also.

An inspiring NSV indeed!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    a couple of NSV's for me:

1. I cannot wear the shirt that I wore to my wife's company Christmas party in January (it's way TOO big for me now)
    2. I had to tighten the strap on my chest monitor for my HRM today
    3. I can't wear any of my jeans without a belt because they slide off while I'm walking (and there wasn't a single pair that I could fasten the top button on at the first of the year).
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a trip scuba diving for a week - a reward I gave myself for working so hard, and consistently, the last year. Not only did I get my scuba diving licence, I was actually up there with the fitter people on the boat, and wore a bikini with confidence. Major NSV for me :)
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure dropped over ten points (it wasn't high to start with, so I'm really surprised that it dropped)
    And I noticed the other day that I have a waist again
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    My waist has gotten a lot more defined and (I have really large hips) my thighs are almost not touching again. I'm back in the healthy range.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have lost my bloated tummy! I look in the mirror in the morning and I look a lot flatter. Still jiggly though!

I am eating healthier and my clothes are fitting a lot better. (Side note: I lost about 5-10lbs before MFP.)

I am able to walk further.

Those are a few for now, but hoping more to come soon!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    - I've lost 5" off my waist and 4" off my hips since the beginning of this year.
    - Instead of only using the first beltloop, now I go through the first 2 & tuck it into the 3rd.
    - I need to get smaller pants.
    - Exercise is a part of my routine now. Going to the gym is not optional. I give myself 1 day a week off if I want it (and I usually do).

- At the start of the year, I could do 15 min on the treadmill every other day, at less than 3 mph. When I got to 30 at about 3.5 mph (late JAN), I thought I'd try the elliptical. HA! I managed 10 minutes at a pace which barely kept the display lit. Today (and most days now) I do 45 at about 4 mph. Some days I'm not feeling it, so I only do 30, other days I'm feeling great (or want to watch the end of the TV show) so I do 60.
  • TehBuggers
    TehBuggers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My biggest NSV: I have a bad lung from a surgery I had a few years ago. Now that I exercise regularly, I'm noticing that I don't have to stop and catch my breath as often and my lung is starting to get its strength back! It's an awesome feeling

I also needed to buy a new belt, since my pants are falling off.

And this one isn't really a NSV, just a nice confidence boost: I ran into a friend I haven't seen since before I starting losing weight, and she commented on how great and healthy I was looking. Great timing too, since I had gained back three pounds that week (I rarely fluctuate more than one) and was having a crappy day. Not after that! It was a great reminder of how far I've come so far, and that one minor setback was nothing I couldn't handle.
  • Sawieger88
    Sawieger88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am fitting into my little sisters clothes. I dropped 3 sizes and am excited to look in the mirror befor leaving the house. I can do a plank for a whole minute. I don't tire at work from physical labor like I used to, I actually enjoy it ow and push myself to try and get a mini work it in. I feel incredible!
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My weight has been going up, mostly due to working out a lot, but I was still concerned that I might be sliding back since I put on about eight pounds while in maintenance. Gaining five pounds or so while going through a bulk phase is no big deal, but seeing it surge to over eight was a concern. I knew some of the gain wasn't real since I gained three pounds overnight the other day after a very intensive workout and topping that off with some Chinese take-out, so half of that is water weight from muscle repairs and eating a lot more sodium in these warmer weather days.

Then, I tried on some shorts that fit me fine a few weeks ago and they were too loose around the waist. Notching my belt would hold them up, but they were still loose in the seat and a bit baggy, so I ordered a few new pairs in the next size down that I found on sale online. I thought I was done with replacing my entire wardrobe and didn't expect this surprise, especially with the weight gains.

Lesson: ignore the scale and BMI numbers and rely on the mirror and how your clothes fit. I have my yearly physical coming up soon. My doctor will look at my chart and remark that it says I'm still overweight, and then look at me and say never mind just like he did last time.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    -went out on friday and about 75% of the people i saw commented on how much weight ive lost
    -put on a pair of shorts from last summer yesterday, they fell to my ankles they were so big (38>32 waist)
    -managed to rep 3x8 full pull ups for the first time on thursday
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    -I only take up one seat on the bus now

-My pants were literally falling off me the other day

-I can exercise for more than 10 minutes without collapsing into a sweaty puddle on the floor

-I am almost at the point where I can shop in normal clothes shops and not have to do the walk of shame into the plus size shop

-My t shirt no longer try to ride up my belly while I walk

-I can see my wasit again. Hello!

-I have gone down 4 ring sizes (not so good for partners bank balance though as needed to get my engagement ring resized)

-I feel more comfortable walking down the street without being paranoid people are looking at how humungous I am

To name a few :)
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My shadow looks thinner :smile:
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have gone down two notches on my belt.
    I fit COMFORTABLY into my size 12 jeans for the first time in over a year.
    Three people in my netball team independently commented on how great I looked and how much weight I'd lost.
    I need to get my wedding dress altered as I've lost 3 inches from my waist since I ordered it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!