Eating out is basically impossible

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You have options.

1. Intermittent fasting of some form. Skip eating (or eating much) a day before, a day after, or don't eat breakfast and lunch if you''re going out to dinner. This isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds for the more sedentary among us and might actually have health benefits. I probably wouldn't do it if I worked a very physical job, though.

2. Save calories all week by shaving off a couple hundred from every day. (Maybe not if you're diabetic or have other health issues.)

3. Just tally the week up as maintenance and enjoy your dinner (this only works if you don't do it too often of course).

4. A lot more exercise all week.

point one is not IF ….

IF is something that you do all the time consistently, not just when you over eat…

also, not sure that is healthiest mentality to have that says "eat a big meal, and then skip your next one because you ever eat"….

^Have to agree with the above in regards to the Intermittent Fasting method listed in Step 1. Not saying that there is anything wrong with IF, but randomly doing it seems more a way to set one's self up with disordered eating issues/encouraging yo-yo type dieting methods rather than what IF actually strives for.

Also, OP, if you have a history of migraines, I'd be careful about attempting certain methods of IF. I know trying to go all day without eating triggers mine.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I have no problem eating out! Just make intelligent choices. Don't eat the fried type crap, and no matter how delicious it is, don't eat the whole Bloomin' Onion at the Outback, it's about 1200 calories just by itself.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have 2 possible scenarios:

#1. Going out with friends or family for a casual get together, I'm going to look at the online menu ahead of time. I'll do my best to choose something that will fit in my calorie goal, but something I will enjoy. If I go over my calories, no big deal. It's just one meal.

#2. It's my birthday (or whatever special occasion) and I want to go to a specific restaurant, either for the ambiance or a particular food item that I love. I order what I want. More than likely it will make me go over my calorie goal, no big deal. It's just one meal.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    So do some extra cardio that day beforehand. Nbd.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You have options.

1. Intermittent fasting of some form. Skip eating (or eating much) a day before, a day after, or don't eat breakfast and lunch if you''re going out to dinner. This isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds for the more sedentary among us and might actually have health benefits. I probably wouldn't do it if I worked a very physical job, though.

2. Save calories all week by shaving off a couple hundred from every day. (Maybe not if you're diabetic or have other health issues.)

3. Just tally the week up as maintenance and enjoy your dinner (this only works if you don't do it too often of course).

4. A lot more exercise all week.

point one is not IF ….

IF is something that you do all the time consistently, not just when you over eat…

also, not sure that is healthiest mentality to have that says "eat a big meal, and then skip your next one because you ever eat"….

Some people eat out frequently. IF of some form can work fine for that. Or I don't see why not. Technically I suppose you're right though, one time or infrequently wouldn't be IF. But I also dont' see what the harm would be for an otherwise healthy adult.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't do much fast food, but sit down restaurants? you can pretty much ask for what you want and how you want the food cooked - like marinated steaks with butter on top - I just ask for plain grilled with salt and pepper - no butter. Most of those places have steamed broccoli or some other steamed vegetables and if it has cheese or sauce - I skip the rolls/bread, etc

For me, eating out is generally less about the food and more about the company I am keeping...

And with more and more people with various food allergies etc, this probably isn't all that uncommon nowadays

My only other advice if you are a PITA like I am is to tip well
  • melissa_tn
    melissa_tn Posts: 37
    Options
    I feel the same way about eating out, and have just chosen not to. I feel like I can have a tastier and more satisfying meal at home. I detest the fake taste of grilled chicken in restaurants. I'm not at a point with my weight loss that I want to blow a day of calories on eating out. I eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, so I'm also hungry every 2-3 hours, and if I miss/skip a meal to be able to eat out, I would more than likely over eat b/c of that. You know yourself and your goals better than anyone else. I do agree with the poster who said to halve the meal. I was just looking through on-line menus, and since they do give so much food, you could easily halve it I think.
    *edited to say I don't deprive myself of treats, but again, I can get more bang for my buck so to speak by making it myself

you are going to the wrong restaurants..seriously…

ETA - the reason I go out, most of the time, is to get a better meal then I can prepare …..

maybe you need some cooking lessons! :tongue: I'm sure I have a lower caloric goal for the day than a male, and most of my meals are between 200-300 cal. You just can't get that at a restaurant. Plus, the sodium is crazy! I ate one salad from Chik-fil-A last week and gained a pound (and I did make good choices for dressing). Like I said, I'm not far enough into my weight loss for that to be worth it. yet... I'm happy with what I'm able to get at home and don't really miss it. Now, when vacation time hits, I'll have to make some sacrifices!

I grew up in an italian household, I make my own marinara, alfredo, etc from scratch, so I know how to cook.

Chik-fil-a, applebees, etc is not "eating out"…I am talking about going somewhere where they cook good, real food, like a local spot that has fresh fish, sushi place, steakhouse, etc…..

That isn't available everywhere; especially if you don't live in a metro area, and even where one can get fresh food, it can still be cooked in a very high caloric manner. If it fits in your daily goal, good for you, but again, most women don't have as high of a daily goal as most men. I'm not saying I won't learn how to fit it in to daily life once I'm at my maintenance, but I am not missing anything by making my own food.
  • melissa_tn
    Options
    I feel the same way about eating out, and have just chosen not to. I feel like I can have a tastier and more satisfying meal at home. I detest the fake taste of grilled chicken in restaurants. I'm not at a point with my weight loss that I want to blow a day of calories on eating out. I eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, so I'm also hungry every 2-3 hours, and if I miss/skip a meal to be able to eat out, I would more than likely over eat b/c of that. You know yourself and your goals better than anyone else. I do agree with the poster who said to halve the meal. I was just looking through on-line menus, and since they do give so much food, you could easily halve it I think.
    *edited to say I don't deprive myself of treats, but again, I can get more bang for my buck so to speak by making it myself

ETA - the reason I go out, most of the time, is to get a better meal then I can prepare …..

maybe you need some cooking lessons! :tongue: I'm sure I have a lower caloric goal for the day than a male, and most of my meals are between 200-300 cal. You just can't get that at a restaurant. Plus, the sodium is crazy! I ate one salad from Chik-fil-A last week and gained a pound (and I did make good choices for dressing). Like I said, I'm not far enough into my weight loss for that to be worth it. yet... I'm happy with what I'm able to get at home and don't really miss it. Now, when vacation time hits, I'll have to make some sacrifices!

You can get that at a restaurant. Just like cooking takes education and practice, so does eating healthy. If you educate yourself about nutrition, you can easily find healthy dishes eating out.

By the way, Chik-fil-a is a fast food place, not a restaurant. I think you may have the two confused...

The OP is talking about "eating out". That doesn't just mean a sit-down restaurant. If I'm out running around town like she said, then more than likely I'm looking for something quicker to grab. I don't completely trust a restaurant to cook something the way I ask, and like I said, am not at a point in my loss that makes it worth it to me. I eat better and cheaper at home, and that doesn't make me any less educated about nutrition.
  • melissa_tn
    Options
    Plus, the sodium is crazy!

Indeed. However, it's not too difficult to fit a single 600mg sodium meal into the recommended 1500-2300mg/day. My breakfasts, for example, have almost no sodium. Same for fruits, vegetables, yogurt, rice, etc. those help balance it out.

Eating fewer calories, it should be easier for you than me. ;)

That assumes I'm not on a low sodium diet... and from menus I have perused, the sodium count is in the thousands, not 600. Comes down to personal choice and goals.
  • gert1985
    gert1985 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    We ordered subs yesterday and I order an "unwich' I think they called it. There was no bread and it was wrapped
    in lettuce leaves. It save a couple hundred calories and it was good.
    At McDonalds I usually get a cheeseburger without the bun and that's on lettuce and is also good, same with
    their chicken breast.
    Haven't acquired a taste for a salad without dressing though. I love French dressing, not fat free so some days
    most of my fat/calories/sugar comes from that which isn't good.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    but sit down restaurants? you can pretty much ask for what you want and how you want the food cooked - like marinated steaks with butter on top - I just ask for plain grilled with salt and pepper - no butter.
    You can ask. ;)

In most cases, all they will do is skip *additional* salt or oil beyond whatever preparation they've already done--brines, rubs, marinades, etc. I've had this conversation with restaurants before. Sodium Girl--a famous foodie for whom low sodium is a matter of survival rather than dietary preference--is asked by most restaurants for a heads-up 48 hours before she dines there to guarantee low-sodium.

I've posted before the "surprise" that some grilled chicken dishes from the Cheesecake Factory have more saturated fat and sodium than a Wendy's bacon cheeseburger. It's easier for restaurants to serve yummy food that appears to be healthy, I suppose, than to make truly yummy healthy foods.

Fast food and most chains have one thing going for them--transparency.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie range? Eating in the 1400-1600 area, I have no trouble eating out. Lean meat, veggie, a 1/2 portion of a starch and/or side salad w/ light or fat free dressing. 400-600 calories with no trouble. Just be sure and ask that your food be made without any glazes/sauces - and should not be an issue. Unless its a place that only serves fried food...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

I grew up in an italian household, I make my own marinara, alfredo, etc from scratch, so I know how to cook.

Chik-fil-a, applebees, etc is not "eating out"…I am talking about going somewhere where they cook good, real food, like a local spot that has fresh fish, sushi place, steakhouse, etc…..

That isn't available everywhere; especially if you don't live in a metro area, and even where one can get fresh food, it can still be cooked in a very high caloric manner. If it fits in your daily goal, good for you, but again, most women don't have as high of a daily goal as most men. I'm not saying I won't learn how to fit it in to daily life once I'm at my maintenance, but I am not missing anything by making my own food.

Female not in maintenance and I can make it work, you keep going back to well it's a male so you can do it. Females can eat out just as easily it just takes planning. And waiting until you are in maintenance to learn how to incorporate going out, or eating things is a recipe for disaster. Learn moderation now and it will help to set you up for maintenance
  • melissa_tn
    Options

Female not in maintenance and I can make it work, you keep going back to well it's a male so you can do it. Females can eat out just as easily it just takes planning. And waiting until you are in maintenance to learn how to incorporate going out, or eating things is a recipe for disaster. Learn moderation now and it will help to set you up for maintenance

I'm not waiting for maintenance to learn moderation. I'm not "dieting" and am not depriving myself of anything. I've said it repeatedly; it depends on one's personal goals. Eating out is not necessary or inevitable and there are people who don't depend on it. I can have a treat without eating a 700 calorie meal in one sitting. It seems to me more people take offense when someone chooses not to "cheat" in the same manner. The OP asked if any one else found it difficult and I empathized with her. Doesn't make either of us wrong.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I'm not waiting for maintenance to learn moderation. I'm not "dieting" and am not depriving myself of anything. I've said it repeatedly; it depends on one's personal goals. Eating out is not necessary or inevitable and there are people who don't depend on it. I can have a treat without eat a 700 calorie meal in one setting. It seems to me more people take offense when someone chooses not to "cheat" in the same manner. The OP asked if any one else found it difficult and I empathized with her. Doesn't make either of us wrong.

How is having one of your meals 700 calories a cheat? 500-700 cals is often dinner (my main meal as it seems to work out). (not eating out, just normal).
  • melissa_tn
    Options

I'm not waiting for maintenance to learn moderation. I'm not "dieting" and am not depriving myself of anything. I've said it repeatedly; it depends on one's personal goals. Eating out is not necessary or inevitable and there are people who don't depend on it. I can have a treat without eat a 700 calorie meal in one setting. It seems to me more people take offense when someone chooses not to "cheat" in the same manner. The OP asked if any one else found it difficult and I empathized with her. Doesn't make either of us wrong.

How is having one of your meals 700 calories a cheat? 500-700 cals is often dinner (my main meal as it seems to work out). (not eating out, just normal).

That would be a huge cheat for me and my daily goals. Everyone seems to think one size fits all here.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

That would be a huge cheat for me and my daily goals. Everyone seems to think one size fits all here.

Again. Not seeing how it is a cheat if you are still meeting your calorie goals. Just because one meal is bigger than others makes it a cheat?
  • melissa_tn
    Options

Again. Not seeing how it is a cheat if you are still meeting your calorie goals. Just because one meal is bigger than others makes it a cheat?

AGAIN, for MY goals and the way I am choosing to eat, it doesn't fit. STILL doesn't make it wrong if it's working for me.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I assume this is very dependant on where you live and what your options are. I live in the heart of a city and feel like I have plenty of eat out options where I can be confident in getting something I can fairly accurately log and hit my targets. Just came back from eating out and logging it.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have 2 possible scenarios:

#1. Going out with friends or family for a casual get together, I'm going to look at the online menu ahead of time. I'll do my best to choose something that will fit in my calorie goal, but something I will enjoy. If I go over my calories, no big deal. It's just one meal.

#2. It's my birthday (or whatever special occasion) and I want to go to a specific restaurant, either for the ambiance or a particular food item that I love. I order what I want. More than likely it will make me go over my calorie goal, no big deal. It's just one meal.

Pretty much what I do too.

Your profile pic makes me want to go paddleboarding. :smile: