Any yogis, meditators, or free spirits here?

Options
KelseyDiane91
KelseyDiane91 Posts: 13 Member
I find that I am most impacted and inspired when surrounding myself by positivity and nature. Does anyone else here feel similarly? Anyone who practices yoga or live a natural free spirited life? I'd really like to explore more into this avenue!

Replies

• lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I am curious to see who answers you. I am a very novice meditator and my yoga practice is also. I am just finishing with "Eat, Pray, Love" and would really like to go deeper into both!
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am currently a work in progress. I have been doing yoga (beginner and intermediate) off and on since 2003. I am currently trying to cleanse my environment and life of negativity and to attempt to live my life to the fullest and to raise my child in the most positive and grateful life that I am capable of.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I release many free spirits while I'm doing yoga.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I release many free spirits while I'm doing yoga.

:laugh:
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to get into yoga but unfortunately can't afford classes, I'm hoping someday I will...but I consider myself a Buddhist and something of a free spirit, and I do like to practice meditation when I can, it definitely helps a lot with stress.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've always wanted to get into yoga but unfortunately can't afford classes, I'm hoping someday I will...but I consider myself a Buddhist and something of a free spirit, and I do like to practice meditation when I can, it definitely helps a lot with stress.
    Check for free classes in your area. A lot of Buddhism centers offer them.
  • DSTMT
    Options

That's not a bad idea, thanks! I never thought to do that, but it couldn't hurt to check it out!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I practice heated vinyassa (not as often as I'd like)(which would be every day).

I takes effort but using positive affirmations, practicing grattitude and replacing negative thoughts with positive ones can change your life.

I get randomly generated affirmations here every day: http://www.vitalaffirmations.com/pool/affirmation-cards.htm
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mlw88aUPQO1rbf60bo1_500.gif
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options

A lot of studios offer beginner's deals, too!
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a free spirit but I am a meditator. I practice TM (Transcendental Meditation) but otherwise I'm a basic non-religious, non-spiritual person with no particular beliefs at all.
  • rml_16
    Options

That's not a bad idea, thanks! I never thought to do that, but it couldn't hurt to check it out!
    There's also a church here that offers free classes, so look into that, as well.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You are very lovely. Random thought.

I meditate irregularly.
  • toomanycats1975
    Options
    I am just getting more involved with yoga and meditation myself, and it is really making a positive difference in my life, though I am definitely a BEGINNER. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you like. :-)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've worked at controlling my internal dialog for years. Meditation helps me accept what I can't change and helps me stay centered. That doesn't mean that I'm not "bat **** crazy" like everyone else though.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

YouTube has a ton of yoga videos for free. If you have an iPhone, you can buy the Yoga Studio app for cheap (maybe $2.99?) and have hundreds of classes and instruction available whenever you want it.
  • pagraham1971
    pagraham1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that yoga has changed my life. I practice hot yoga 4 times per week. I took a 30 day challenge in October 2013, which really kick started me with my weightloss and changing to a healthy lifestyle. I am much calmer and positive person siine I began a regular practice. I am currently on day 12 of another 30 day challenge. Since October I have lost 35 lbs and my main exercise is yoga. I can't say enough of the changes it has brought to my life.I have not tried meditation, but would like to look into some self guided meditations.
  • DSTMT
    Options

YouTube has a ton of yoga videos for free. If you have an iPhone, you can buy the Yoga Studio app for cheap (maybe $2.99?) and have hundreds of classes and instruction available whenever you want it.

I actually have one yoga video and have used it, but my concern is that I might be doing the poses wrong, I'd rather do them in front of a professional so they can tell me where I'm going wrong, I'm not very flexible so I'm afraid I'll hurt myself lol. But I'll check out that app, thanks for letting me know that! I just got my first iPhone a couple of months ago so I haven't checked out many of the available apps, they're definitely handy.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Doyogawithme.com has a lot of free sessions available for beginner to advanced Yogis. I highly recommend the site. Lots of information and great community.
  • rml_16
    Options

But no live person to tell you when your form is wrong, which will inevitably occur because you can't feel whether you're in the correct position on your own, especially when you're new to the practice.

Poor form can lead to serious injury.