Ankle weights? good bad?

Options
I was thinking about adding ankle weights, im finally at 149 lbs ( lost 20 pounds so far) but i cant really change my excercise roitine, im a sahm and i college student at night, so i can only do quick things. So i do 2-3 miles on my bike ( takes 15 minutes or so) and i do weight lifting in between. But i want to add somthing else to my excersicing so are ankle weights and wrist weights good? are they worth it?

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I think they are a good idea, just start out small, because 2lb weight seems small, but having it straight on for 10 minutes, it can become too much.

So try small and work your way up.

Goodluck
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    at my jr college they have weight training classes, walking and jogging classes,tennis, golf, basketball maybe you can incorporate ta class in your schedule next semester
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I used to use them ALL the time years ago. I figured they help elevate the HR and help tone your legs, I know I could tell a difference. Then just the other day on either my local news medical report or Dr. Oz (can't remember which) it was said that they don't add that much of an advantage but they do put unecessary and unwanted pressure on your joints. I don't know if this would have been enough to make me stop using them or not, but it is information coming from professionals so I thought I'd pass it along and you can make your own decision. Hope it helps! :smile:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    You rhave to be careful with the ankle weight. THey can added stress and strain to the lower half and the knees. Add them to the top half of your body or I know they hav walking weighted vest for added weight to the upper body and safer on the joints