Interval Run/Walking Calories?

I jogged for a minute (REALLY slowly, maybe a 12 min mile), walked for a minute, for a total of about 20 minutes. I calculated the calories by adding 10 minutes of 12 min/mile (153 cal) + 10 minutes of walking (60 cal). Is that an accurate way to estimate how much I burned?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Estimate about 100 cals per mile, 200 cals seems as accurate an estimation as you're going to get
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Make your life easier and get a heart rate monitor that counts calories burned, I prefer my polar F7, but the F4 will work too.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Two ways to deal with this:

Keep track of your overall time and distance, and enter it as a run/jog at the average pace.

Keep track of your total time running and your total time walking, and enter them as separate events. For example, if you run 9 min and walk 1 min x 5, you would enter a 45 min run and a 5 min walk.

kCal come out about the same either way.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    I do run/walk intervals too, at about equal durations, so I just average it out and log as "running x miles/hour".
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    If you have a smart phone you can get apps that will keep track of that for you. I have Ease into 5K and that one tells you when to 'run' and when to walk and has a plan for you. keeps track of pace, calories, etc.

I also have one called CycleTracker and you can set that one up for intervals (one minute 'fast' one minute 'slow' or however you want. I've never actually used that setting but I assume it would give you a calorie count because it does on a straight up run or walk or bike ride. It keeps track of pace, distance, time, calories burned, route etc.

If you go to MFP apps you might find one. They sync with MFP, which is nice, but CycleTracker is so much easier for me to use that I just stay with that.

I do think averaging it out would be fine too though :)