A few questions

Options
So I've been trying to get a full 5k in for over a year and I seem to be making 0 progress and just can't understand why. I don't get it! Help?!

Also, I bruise quite easily and when doing floor exercises for abs I was wondering what would work best to use? I have bruises on my hips and spine that are killing me!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For the running quesiton a good resource
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Also have you tried c25k? What exactly is the issue?
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Can you do planks without bruising issues? Great for running (just don't forget to do some work on your back muscles, too, so you don't get all out of balance! try supermans)

Couch to 5k is a popular beginning run app. Can you run a mile without stopping?
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Can you do planks without bruising issues? Great for running (just don't forget to do some work on your back muscles, too, so you don't get all out of balance! try supermans)

Couch to 5k is a popular beginning run app. Can you run a mile without stopping?

Yep! I actually started with the couch to 5k and still haven't been able to make it to the end/running the whole distance. I just get really fatigued and weak/nauseas.

I can run a mile without stopping, it's once I hit the 1.5/2 mile mark I'm ready to pass out. Yep I can do planks for the most part!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yep! I actually started with the couch to 5k and still haven't been able to make it to the end/running the whole distance. I just get really fatigued and weak/nauseas.

I can run a mile without stopping, it's once I hit the 1.5/2 mile mark I'm ready to pass out. Yep I can do planks for the most part!

I noticed another post of your and in your profile you mention recovery. Could your fatigue/weakness in the past be related to that?

The other advice is to slow down. You can repeat weeks if you need.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It took me a few months just to learn to run. Try run, walk, run, walk. Be consistent too do it at least 4 times a week. I've been a runner for 16 years now but I'll always remember starting out and how proud I was when I ran my first mile.

Maybe I should mention that after 10+ years of running I reached a point where I just couldn't run anymore. I went to the doctor. Turns out I had undiagnosed thyroid condition. After getting on the meds I was able to return to running. The bruising thing is something you might mention to your doctor next time you see them.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Maybe not taking in enough carbs? Many experts, like Matt Fitzgerald, say that runners need about 4-5g/kg body weight in carbs to sustain a weekly running routine that is 40-60 min per day (obviously it goes up from there). I remember resisting that number when I first read it, but, now I track my carbs to make sure I am getting enough and up it as my mileage per week rises. You gotta fuel the muscles. Those numbers are obviously high for 5k beginning training, but, if my journey to better understanding carbs and running has taught me anything, it's that you will feel it when you don't take in enough.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    How about planks, roman chair leg raises or hanging knee/leg raises. Push ups are great for abs and other areas too.
  • foryoublue
    foryoublue Posts: 24
    Options
    Are you doing those floor exercises on a mat? If not, you should look into getting a fitness mat made for this sort of thing. Amazon has some affordable ones.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    how fast do you run ?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Slow down, do intervals like couch to 5k. You shouldn't get nauseous and weak if you are running slow and properly drinking fluids and eating.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Farthest you've run/walked at one time? How fast is your first mile?
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options

I noticed another post of your and in your profile you mention recovery. Could your fatigue/weakness in the past be related to that?

The other advice is to slow down. You can repeat weeks if you need.

Yeah, it def could. I don't run fast at all either lol I just can't seem to get past 1.5 miles without stopping for a few minutes.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    It took me a few months just to learn to run. Try run, walk, run, walk. Be consistent too do it at least 4 times a week. I've been a runner for 16 years now but I'll always remember starting out and how proud I was when I ran my first mile.

Maybe I should mention that after 10+ years of running I reached a point where I just couldn't run anymore. I went to the doctor. Turns out I had undiagnosed thyroid condition. After getting on the meds I was able to return to running. The bruising thing is something you might mention to your doctor next time you see them.

I've been doing the run walk thing for over a year now :/ but I definitely need to work on my consistency because school gets in the way at times.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Maybe not taking in enough carbs? Many experts, like Matt Fitzgerald, say that runners need about 4-5g/kg body weight in carbs to sustain a weekly running routine that is 40-60 min per day (obviously it goes up from there). I remember resisting that number when I first read it, but, now I track my carbs to make sure I am getting enough and up it as my mileage per week rises. You gotta fuel the muscles. Those numbers are obviously high for 5k beginning training, but, if my journey to better understanding carbs and running has taught me anything, it's that you will feel it when you don't take in enough.

That definitely may be the problem. I just have a fear that I will pile on weight.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    How about planks, roman chair leg raises or hanging knee/leg raises. Push ups are great for abs and other areas too.

That's really helpful, thank you!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Are you doing those floor exercises on a mat? If not, you should look into getting a fitness mat made for this sort of thing. Amazon has some affordable ones.

I have done them on mats but I still bruise somehow.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    how fast do you run ?

Not that fast, I'm quite slow these days haha about 10 minutes a mile :/
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    eat a bunch of bananas or avocados for the bruising. A 5K sucks no matter how you cut it. I did a 22 minute one last fall and it was terrible...
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Slow down, do intervals like couch to 5k. You shouldn't get nauseous and weak if you are running slow and properly drinking fluids and eating.

Drinking fluids may be part of the problem I guess :/ I just didn't think it would make me that weak and sick!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Farthest you've run/walked at one time? How fast is your first mile?

Farthest I've walked could be pretty far lol but running/walking would be. 5K and in 32 minutes. But I want to be able to run the whole way.