oh god the pain

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Let me preface by saying this that sunday I had a 10 mile hike, along with a 2 mile walk later on that evening, and then 4 miles of walking total on monday. I consider myself to be reasonably fit so far as physical prowess is concerned.
I had my first ever plyometrics class on monday. It was the closest I've ever come to throwing up from a workout. I didn't think to bring water, so that only made things worse. I couldn't stop shaking for about 2 hours. Yesterday morning? I couldn't move my legs. I couldn't walk down my steps to get the mail. So, i took a sick day and stayed in bed. My legs are still sore to the point where I'm walking funny.

And yet all i can think is...
Holy crap that's a great workout. Can't wait to do it again on monday :)

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    ahh... I LOVE days like that!
  • bedazzledmom
    Options
    Hilarious! Very entertaining! Good for you! Let us know how next week goes, perhaps not as painful?!
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    And???...

I don't really think this is worthy of a prize or anything (jus' sayin'). Don't get me wrong, I admire all of the activity and effort, but it's never smart to ignore pain/soreness. Pain communicates. Listen or you'll be laid up for more than a day soon. (I've had three close workout buddies experience this recently...it's been really tough on them taking off from working out/running for the past 3 weeks now!)
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Lol, get some protien to help your muscles repair (if you haven't yet) Have fun :)
  • msarro
    Options
    And???...

I don't really think this is worthy of a prize or anything (jus' sayin'). Don't get me wrong, I admire all of the activity and effort, but it's never smart to ignore pain/soreness. Pain communicates. Listen or you'll be laid up for more than a day soon. (I've had three close workout buddies experience this recently...it's been really tough on them taking off from working out/running for the past 3 weeks now!)

I appreciate your concern, however I'm not new to this. Pain in this case communicates that a large number of microtears exist in my muscle tissue, and have to be fixed with amino acids. Pain in a case where you drop to your knees or overexertion is something different - this is just muscle soreness because my body is unfamiliar with plyometrics. That's something that can only be taken care of by 'heading back into the lion's den.'

-Speaking as someone whose worked through a torn ligament, and more than his fair share of muscle soreness days.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    *TMI*

Two mornings after my first experience with plyo's I had to call my sister to come help me stand up because I couldn't get up from the toilet.
    I miss plyo's.
  • msarro
    Options
    *TMI*

Two mornings after my first experience with plyo's I had to call my sister to come help me stand up because I couldn't get up from the toilet.
    I miss plyo's.

lol, I'm sitting at my work desk chair and without the arm bars there's no way I'd be able to stand up. I hope to god my girlfriend still has whey protein at her house!
    How long did it take for the extreme soreness to go away??
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! LMAO. The first couple Personal Training sessions I did, I was totally the same. I wasn't able to laugh for about 5 days and that was awful! Now things are a bit fitter, I don't suffer quite as much! Well done!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I love that "good pain" feeling!:happy:
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Way to go man!
    Those are the days when you know you're alive!

I have had a lot of time in my hands lately and have progressively been increasing my martial arts training so last monday I did 2.5 hours of TaeKwonDo, 1.5 hours of Taido, and 2 hours of bicycling just getting from place to place. Yesterday I did again 2.5 hours of TKD and 0.5 hours of pedaling and for some reason my whole upper body has been burning today.. It's great althought unexpected. My legs recovered just fine. Must be the recent fetish all the instructors seem to be having for pushups..

Well.. What can I say? Athletes generally seem to be a bunch of masochists.. :laugh: