What stretches good for after run?

Options
I have my list of dynamic stretches for before the run, thanks to http://runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html. What is good for after a run? Runners World recommends static for after, so if I just do the stretching from the end of one of Jillian Michaels dvds will that work?

I am only running 3 miles today, so I feel silly doing all of this stretching, but I want to start to incorporate it in my runs.

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm still very new to running, on week 7 of the C25K program, but i tend to do the same stretches both before and after. I'm going to look at that article you posted to see if i'm doing the right stretches...so thanks for helping me out!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Very good article from runner's world. However, they took the conservative road. Here is standard warm-up and cool-down for running. I want to clarify that this is for short to medium distances, 5k - half marathon.

For starters, dynamic stretches are key to pretty much any exercise. It really doesn't matter what you are doing. For longer runs or longer duration running periods, I advise lightly jogging for a lap or 2 (approx 400-800 meters or 1/4-1/2 mile). Then perform dynamic stretches, followed by 20 second static stretches. This will fully loosen you up for anything you will be doing, running and other.

In regards to after your run, I recommend 15 second static stretches, but add an extra set. For example, if you do straight-leg toe touch 2 sets for 20 seconds for the static phase of your warm-up, do 3 sets for 15 seconds after. Do not perform dynamic after a hard or long run, as it could injure your muscles.

For casual runners, you can get away with dynamic only for warm-up, and static only for cool-down.

Whatever you do, DO NOT sit down after a run. If you need to, try squating, but for short intervals, or lean against a wall while doing some light static stretches. Although most injuries seem to happen with improper stretching before a run, the worst injuries seem to happen from not stretching or stretching improperly after.