logging sport (soccer/football)

Options
Hi there,

If I play a 90 minute game of soccer, should I be logging it as 90 minutes? I usually only log it as about 45-60 minutes based on how hard I feel I played but I don't know if this is the right thing to do. It's just, I'm not running for the full 90 minutes, part of the game I'm walking or jogging, etc so I'm scared to log it as too much exercise and then eat too much and gain weight (I'm in recovery from an eating disorder, but struggling with it at the moment, just for context).

Advice? Basically what I want to know is whether the "down" periods are factored in to the MFP exercise database or do I need to manually factor them in myself?

Replies

• JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Could try being a bit conservative and logging it as 90 minutes of jogging. I feel MFP is quite generous in the calories burnt playing sports. Like I played golf today for 2 hours and MFP says 1700 calories.
  • tinychuck
    tinychuck Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Could try being a bit conservative and logging it as 90 minutes of jogging. I feel MFP is quite generous in the calories burnt playing sports. Like I played golf today for 2 hours and MFP says 1700 calories.

wow 1700 seems a lot! I just tried entering golf in to my diary and it only gave me 3-400 depending on what type of golf.
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    2 1/2 hours of golf pulling clubs is 1650 calories for me...
  • stangchick10
    Options
    I play beach volley ball once a week, but I only log my estimated play time as we rotate teams on and off the court. Also each person calories are going to be determined by your weight, etc. Wouldn't you think?? Doing a great job, keep up the good work.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

If I play a 90 minute game of soccer, should I be logging it as 90 minutes? I usually only log it as about 45-60 minutes based on how hard I feel I played but I don't know if this is the right thing to do. It's just, I'm not running for the full 90 minutes, part of the game I'm walking or jogging, etc so I'm scared to log it as too much exercise and then eat too much and gain weight (I'm in recovery from an eating disorder, but struggling with it at the moment, just for context).

Advice? Basically what I want to know is whether the "down" periods are factored in to the MFP exercise database or do I need to manually factor them in myself?

I will never understand soccer fitness. My daughters played in high school and my wife still plays. I've always been in good shape but ten minutes messing around with the team I'd be panting for my breath. You're almost constantly moving, either at a sprint, jog, walk or side to side. To be conservative, rather than record 90 minutes of soccer, mix all of those movements together, for an average if you will, and record 60 to 70 minutes of speed walking (5 mph). That should be a safe estimate, just use trial and error.
  • tinychuck
    tinychuck Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I will never understand soccer fitness. My daughters played in high school and my wife still plays. I've always been in good shape but ten minutes messing around with the team I'd be panting for my breath. You're almost constantly moving, either at a sprint, jog, walk or side to side. To be conservative, rather than record 90 minutes of soccer, mix all of those movements together, for an average if you will, and record 60 to 70 minutes of speed walking (5 mph). That should be a safe estimate, just use trial and error.

thanks this sounds like a good plan :)