Be careful with Lean Cuisines!

gecho
gecho Posts: 426 Member
I just wanted to warn everybody to be careful when you buy a lean cuisine!
I buy 5 lean cuisines a week. Yea i know about worrying about the sodium count in them, but they make for the best/easiest thing for me to bring to work and since i spent between $2 and $4 on them a piece i guilt myself into not cheating and going out to eat instead.

HOWEVER!

In the last 3 or 4 months I have gotten probably 5 of them that the box has been sealed but when i opened the box the plastic has been torn. I have e-mailed them several times and they send me a free coupon and a coupon for buy 5 and get 1 free, like taht makes up for the hassle AND the fact that i now have to go without lunch.

But that is also the reason i have backup stuff in my cabinet (crackers etc)

Just thought i would warn anybody that eats the same meals.

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    I've had two like that in the past month, too!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Good to know! I eat these also every day of the week for lunch and half the time I don't even check if it is properly sealed before I pop it in the mirco. I'm getting quite bored with my usual flavors (veggie egg roll, pasta variations with out meat, and santa fe rice and beans, etc.), what are yall's favorites?
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Hmph....that is odd...and a bit scary. I eat a lean cuisine about 3-4 times/week. Yeah, I know there are some drawbacks to their meals, but I figure like you, it's better than a lot of other choices out there! I haven't noticed or come across any of them like that. Good to know though....I'll be sure to keep a look out for that! Thanks so much for the heads up!!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Thanks for the heads up I will keep my eyes open for that.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I much prefer the Safeway brand Eating Right. Same thing as lean Cuisine, better dishes and I've never encountered these problems with them. They're almost always $2 each. I love the Butternut Squash Ravioli and the lasagnas.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Wife does or eats the same, easy for packing! Thanx for the update!:smile:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    My mom used to get lean cuisines...and bring an extra tuperware full of veggies...pop her lean cuisine out and over the veggies, stick it in the microwave, and then mix it all together. She said it was more filling than just the lean cuisine by itself...I think I'm going to do something similar for my lunches.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    I'll keep my eyes open for that I really love them, I know sodium but they are easy to throw together.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    I much prefer the Safeway brand Eating Right. Same thing as lean Cuisine, better dishes and I've never encountered these problems with them. They're almost always $2 each. I love the Butternut Squash Ravioli and the lasagnas.

I looked this up, they sound great but the nearest safeway is about 45 mins from me. sigh...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Why not just cook extra at night and take leftovers for a quick lunch the next day???

I really don't get the appeal with frozen meals. Yuck.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Why not just cook extra at night and take leftovers for a quick lunch the next day???

For me, it's about portion control. In the beginning, I was not able to accurately determine portion size. It's become easier now that I'm getting more used to it and I've gotten a scale, but in the beginning the frozen meals were just much simpler.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Another thought is to prepare several dishes on the weekend. For example, I roast a chicken, make a couple of side dishes and a hearty soup or stew. I also get my snacks and portion them out. I take everything to work with me on Monday so that I have a variety of choices. In the long run it comes out to be just a few dollars per meal and I know what I am eating and where it really came from (I buy as much as I can from local farmers markets). What I don't eat for lunch or dinner I just throw in the freezer for a later date.
  • there's like 50 carbs in that CRAP too!!! EEEEWWWW
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    I am not a frozen foods kinda gal but, I just love a few of the snackier style lean cusines. I like the desserts for those days when u just have to have something sweet and I love the mini pizzas. I like to have a few on hand incase im making something for the kids for lunch and im too lazy to cook or im out of healthy stuff and on't feel like or have time to run to the market. I do hate the sodium content of them and i really rpefer to eat alot cleaner but, it is what it is. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
    Also, good idea about the extra veggies!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member

For me, it's about portion control. In the beginning, I was not able to accurately determine portion size. It's become easier now that I'm getting more used to it and I've gotten a scale, but in the beginning the frozen meals were just much simpler.

I suppose I understand.

I am glad that my plan I don't have to weigh, measure and count. Since everything I eat is a whole food, I just eat until I am full and satisfied.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    i bought lean cuisines years ago and got sick of of them .. i never bought them after that. they looked fine to me .. n i wouldn't of ate them if the plastic stuff was tore etc .. so i don't know what was up but i never bought them again.
  • skinnyminimom7
    skinnyminimom7 Posts: 2 Member
    It's SO MUCH easier to intermittent fast. Then I only have food choices to make for dinner. In my 20's I did frozen dinners. However after learning about calorie-dense foods. Those frozen meals are so small. I can eat the same amount of calories but eat more. I can see how it makes for a quick fast on the move lunch when your working and in a rush.