Does alcohol get a bad rap

Options
32sami
32sami Posts: 380 Member
(disclaimer: Don't like the post? Find one that's more suited to you.)

Just wondering if alcohol gets a bad rap when it comes to nutrition??

Replies

• littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it gets a bad rap but it can hinder weight loss for sure depending on the amount you intake of course. Alcohol is a very unique 4th macronutrient. It's almost the perfect macronutrient in the way the body processes it in that it's in and out, it has no storage mechanism in the metabolizing of ethanol whatsoever. The body puts it on high priority above all other metabolic processes to get it out of the system as soon as possible which includes lipolysis so while alcohol is in your system your metabolism is indefinitely affected and you could even say "slowed". There's 7 calories per 1 gram of alcohol and has 0% nutritional value so there's not a ton of place for it in a diet. I believe there's been research as well that it actually impairs the ability to absorb nutrients, vitamins and minerals from the food you've consumed for the day as well.

You also have to be careful with a drink because while alcohol might have 7 calories per gram, it's the "mixers" and the other stuff that can be dense in calories!

So a few drinks a day if within your total caloric intake for the day shouldn't cause hindering to a significant degree it's easy to over indulge and could wreck progress that'll put you back a few days.
  • littlebutlean
    Options
    Also worth noting, these are my favorite "light" drinks, somewhere around 85 cals per drink.

- Vodka+Crystal Light (any flavour)
    - Vodka+Mio or any sugar free water flavoring (Dasani/Nestea/Powerade etc)
    - Vodka+Diet Crush (Orange/Grape/Cream Soda)
    - Vodka+Sugar free Redbull (great drink)
    - Vodka+Water (no issues w/ this drink, it mixes well w/ water)
    - Vodka+Diet Cranberry Juice
    - Rum+Diet Coke/Pepsi
    - Rum+Diet Dr. Pepper
    - Rum+Diet Root Beer
    - Gin+Club Soda w/ a slice of cucumber
    - Gin+Diet 7-Up
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Red wine seems to get highly praised. The rest, not so much. Not that I care. If I'm having a drink, it isn't for my health. It's to get a nice buzz on.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Also worth noting, these are my favorite "light" drinks, somewhere around 85 cals per drink.

- Vodka+Crystal Light (any flavour)
    - Vodka+Mio or any sugar free water flavoring (Dasani/Nestea/Powerade etc)
    - Vodka+Diet Crush (Orange/Grape/Cream Soda)
    - Vodka+Sugar free Redbull (great drink)
    - Vodka+Water (no issues w/ this drink, it mixes well w/ water)
    - Vodka+Diet Cranberry Juice
    - Rum+Diet Coke/Pepsi
    - Rum+Diet Dr. Pepper
    - Rum+Diet Root Beer
    - Gin+Club Soda w/ a slice of cucumber
    - Gin+Diet 7-Up

Should I make a note in case you ever come back?? lol
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it gets a bad rap but it can hinder weight loss for sure depending on the amount you intake of course. Alcohol is a very unique 4th macronutrient. It's almost the perfect macronutrient in the way the body processes it in that it's in and out, it has no storage mechanism in the metabolizing of ethanol whatsoever. The body puts it on high priority above all other metabolic processes to get it out of the system as soon as possible which includes lipolysis so while alcohol is in your system your metabolism is indefinitely affected and you could even say "slowed". There's 7 calories per 1 gram of alcohol and has 0% nutritional value so there's not a ton of place for it in a diet. I believe there's been research as well that it actually impairs the ability to absorb nutrients, vitamins and minerals from the food you've consumed for the day as well.

You also have to be careful with a drink because while alcohol might have 7 calories per gram, it's the "mixers" and the other stuff that can be dense in calories!

So a few drinks a day if within your total caloric intake for the day shouldn't cause hindering to a significant degree it's easy to over indulge and could wreck progress that'll put you back a few days.

Nice post. :)

There's loads of research on alcohol impairing the absorption of vitamins and minerals, thiamin, folate, most of the B vitamins actually. Electrolytes like potassium, magnesium and so on.

I just grabbed a few of the first ones that came up on PubMed. I'm lazy today.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6254354

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19292860

*and a good one that's more comprehensive. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-3/220-231.htm
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It's got a crap ton of empty calories. Unless you're a total lightweight you're going to have to suck down some serious calories just to get a small buzz, especially for males.
  • littlebutlean
    Options
    Yeah there's definitely a tolerance to alcohol like any drug. If you only once in awhile it doesn't too much to get you buzzed or even obliterated.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Summary

* Moderate alcohol consumption is assocoiated with an abundance of health benefits. The long-term effect on insulin sensitivity and body weight (via insulin or decreased appetite) may be of particular interest to us.

* The thermic effect of alcohol is high and the real caloric value is not 7.1 kcal: it's ~5.6 kcal. However, it's still easy to overconsume calories by drinking. Calorie for calorie, the short-term effect of alcohol on satiety is low. Adding to this, intoxication may also encourage overeating by disinhibition of dietary restraint.

* The negative effects of alcohol on testosterone and recovery has been grossly exaggerated by the fitness mainstream. Excluding very high acute alcohol consumption, or prolonged and daily consumption, the effect is non-significant and unlikely to affect muscle gains or training adaptations negatively.

* The effect of alcohol on muscle protein synthesis is unknown in normal human subjects. It is not unlikely to assume that a negative effect exists, but it is very unlikely that it is of such a profound magnitude that some people would have you believe.

* Alcohol is converted to acetate by the liver. The oxidation of acetate takes precedence over other nutrients and is oxidized to carbon dioxide and water. However, despite being a potent inhibitor of lipolysis, alcohol/acetate alone cannot cause fat gain by itself. It's all the junk people eat in conjunction with alcohol intake that causes fat gain.
  • mlyn0812
    mlyn0812 Posts: 31
    Options
    Alcohol is very dehydrating and messes with water retention weight. I find that even if I only have one glass the scale will go up 2 pounds the next day even if everything else is in check. I don't like to weigh myself after drinking lol
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think red wine is known to have some benefits

Alcohol only has a bad rap due to over consumption mainly, also people arent aware how many calories are in alcohol which causes weightgain normally and they dont understand why, some ciders have (200+) calories per bottle!

Alcohol in moderation is fine :)