First Day in the Weight Room

Options
It was awful, I know nothing about weight lifting! This is going to be a huge learning curve.

Replies

• watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have found the people in the weight room Re so helpful! Just ask someone a question! People are more apt to help you there, honestly, than any other place in your gym! At least that is my experience!
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks I think I am going to YouTube some of these lifts lol I felt like such an idiot not knowing how to do things!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Have you picked a program? if not there are lots out there with videos etc to watch.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Have you picked a program? if not there are lots out there with videos etc to watch.

This!

Here's some info that may help

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • kristendeyell
    Options
    Thanks :) It was suggested that I do the all body lifting routine and to do it on two days instead of three. This is because I already have 6-7 hours of working out a week. I used the program from bodybuilding.com
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    this is why hiring a trainer is a good idea - but for some reason people on the boards seem very anti trainers - no idea why - I have been using a trainer for years and have had constant progress
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this is why hiring a trainer is a good idea - but for some reason people on the boards seem very anti trainers - no idea why - I have been using a trainer for years and have had constant progress

nothing wrong with a trainer..unless they try to steer you away from compound lifts because they are "dangerous" or some BS explanation like that < in that case, get a new trainer…

or if your trainer has you on machines and doing 1000 reps of 5# dumbbells, then ran far away, very far away...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Or if they try to sell you Herbalife... :laugh:
  • kristendeyell
    Options
    Can't afford a trainer so alas internet and MFP are my options for advice!
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Go with the stronglifts program. Good structure and easy to find videos for form
  • kristendeyell
    Options
    This Stronglifts program looks good. Easy to follow and I am loving the videos!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I think the stronglifts program is the most strait forward and easiest to understand and especially recommend it for beginners who are new to compound lifts etc. When in doubt follow k.i.s.s methodology. :wink: